• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Betaine HCL supplementation with COMT mutations

hixxy

I've been taking Thorne - Betaine HCL (3 caps with main meals) for 2 years now. I've just discovered I have 2 homozygous COMT mutations. Is this Betaine HCL likely to be causing me further problems because of the methyl group(s?) attached to it?

I'm completely unable to tolerate any other alternatives (lemon juice, ACV) and I have pretty much non-existent stomach acid production. Even after taking this dose sometimes if a reflux back into my mouth (only happens rarely) it's not acidic at all.

greenshots

I'd have to agree, hixxy. The BHMT enzyme is one of the main enzymes here. Most with BHMT defects have gut issues due to not having the right acid balance. This is why betaine helps but also why TMG & DMG can be a problem for them too, you open the BHMT emzyme, which is known as the short cut, and if the system isn't properly supported otherwise, it can be a problem.

Although in my experience, those with the COMT +|+ will KNOW when they have a problem with something as they feel very poorly or very wired with new additions. MTHFR status also has some bearing on this since the MTHFR A1298C has a delayed reaction to many of the methyls where the C677T usually have more immediate reactions to new additions. If you haven't really seen problems since taking it, I don't know that its bad for you. The VDR Taq also factors into methyl tolerance so if your vdr taq +|+ you will tolerate more methyls than a vdr taq -|- would.

Angela

I'm fairly certain all forms of betaine contain methyl groups?

Sparrow

I've been using it fine with COMT mutations, though I also have the VDR mutation that means I can handle more methyl groups. I think everyone's limits are different anyway, though, and are probably affected by more than just what supplements we take.

I think it would be extremely difficult (and not necessarily a good thing) to eliminate EVERYTHING that has a methyl group involved. So I guess it's all about picking and choosing which ones are most important to you, and being limited by your particular tolerance level. If they aren't causing you negative symptoms, and are helping you, I would say keep at it.

As a side note, Yasko mentions mood swings as the defining clue that you're taking in too many methyl groups. Is that what others have noticed, or are there other symptoms too?

hixxy

I'm wondering if some other nutrient in HCL form would work as a substitute. Say, instead of taking 3 caps of betaine HCL, taking 2 caps and 1 cap of glucosamine HCL. HCL is HCL right? Doesn't matter what it's attached to?

greenshots

Mood swings, volatility, feeling wired or just plain going down into the spirals of a mean detox for a long time. I don't think its a matter of no methyl groups with the COMT, its being careful about which ones you use and starting them up very slowly and at minute doses. I agree that your VDR Taq status has alott to do with that tolerance.

I've been using it fine with COMT mutations, though I also have the VDR mutation that means I can handle more methyl groups. I think everyone's limits are different anyway, though, and are probably affected by more than just what supplements we take.

I think it would be extremely difficult (and not necessarily a good thing) to eliminate EVERYTHING that has a methyl group involved. So I guess it's all about picking and choosing which ones are most important to you, and being limited by your particular tolerance level. If they aren't causing you negative symptoms, and are helping you, I would say keep at it.

As a side note, Yasko mentions mood swings as the defining clue that you're taking in too many methyl groups. Is that what others have noticed, or are there other symptoms too?

greenshots

maybe, I can't say but I know that either glucosamine or chondroitin is a sulfur group so one has to watch those as well with certain genetic combos and other suplements. As an example, I use SAMe which is a methyl and sulfur donor but it works great for me so I watch sme of the others a bit more.

I'm wondering if some other nutrient in HCL form would work as a substitute. Say, instead of taking 3 caps of betaine HCL, taking 2 caps and 1 cap of glucosamine HCL. HCL is HCL right? Doesn't matter what it's attached to?