• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any good non-sedating anti-anxiety meds?

Ivana

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good anti-anxiety meds for ME/CFS? Non-sedating, of course, as the last thing I need is more fatigue.... My anxiety is getting worse by the day so was wondering if anyone knows of anything that's helped?

Best wishes

Ivana

nanonug

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good anti-anxiety meds for ME/CFS? Non-sedating, of course, as the last thing I need is more fatigue.... My anxiety is getting worse by the day so was wondering if anyone knows of anything that's helped?

Have you tried lithium orotate? 5 or 10mg at night might help.

Also, have you tried a Methylation Protocol? This may be what you need to increase BH4 levels and produce appropriate levels of neurotransmitters. People in the subforum "Detox: Methylation\B12\Glutathione\Chelation\..." might be able to guide you, in particular richvank and Fredd.

maddietod

I ran out of L-Theanine for 3 days, and I was surprised that I got anxious. Went away immediately when I got back on my nighttime dose of 400mg.

I have found L-Theanine, Gaba, and 5-htp to be a really good combination for anxiety. I found a product that combines all three at our local Supplement store. L-Theanine also has good effects on it's own. I think it's a case of trying things and finding the best fit for you.

Good Luck and I hope you find some relief.

Kina.

Calathea

I'd also avoid anything addictive, as that's the last thing we need with ME.

Sedating meds can sometimes be worked with, for instance for bedtime use.

ramakentesh

The problem is that sympathoexcitation can be coping mechanism at least in patients with OI. The consequences of differential sensitivity of alpha and beta receptors as an example, could lead to increased sympathetic activity to vasoconstrict some areas, but where other areas of the body - the heart and innerved CNS might be normally sensitised, thus subject to excess sympathetic stimulation from Norepinephrine and epinephrine.

Kava is a potent SNRI - some do well on these, but patients with POTS as an example can experience a worsening of symptoms as a consequence of further NET blockade.

ive had success with some chinese herbs including Rehmannia glutinosa and Eucommia.

GABA supplements can actually trigger a paradoxical glutamate increase and L-theanine is apparently good value.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
The problem is that sympathoexcitation can be coping mechanism at least in patients with OI. The consequences of differential sensitivity of alpha and beta receptors as an example, could lead to increased sympathetic activity to vasoconstrict some areas, but where other areas of the body - the heart and innerved CNS might be normally sensitised, thus subject to excess sympathetic stimulation from Norepinephrine and epinephrine.

Kava is a potent SNRI - some do well on these, but patients with POTS as an example can experience a worsening of symptoms as a consequence of further NET blockade.

ive had success with some chinese herbs including Rehmannia glutinosa and Eucommia.

GABA supplements can actually trigger a paradoxical glutamate increase and L-theanine is apparently good value.

Have u got any links to kava and SNRI's, i thought kavalactones in kava worked on gaba receptors and dopamine receptors, but its been awhile since i have looked into these things.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

Calathea

Kava's been banned in a lot of countries. This doesn't always mean a substance is a bad one, but it does tend to lead to problems with quality control, so be careful there.

Kava is controlled in many countries now. You could try Buspirone, a 5HT1a receptor agonist. Or a high quality brand of L-Theanine such as suntheanine can provide some relief.

ramakentesh

Kava was banned in some companies because dodgy companies were including the actual plant material in the mix which contains hepotoxins. if it helps with pain it may effect sodium channels which may sensitize the CNS to pain reception at least in Fibro.
The SNRI effect is apparently quite pronounced - I know someone on an SNRI who found that adding Kava was a bad idea.
SNRIs seem to really help those with NCS and NMH.
Some serotonin receptors are actually implicated in anxiety responses, and I at least seem to suffer from 5HT receptor supersensitivity.

heapsreal

I like kava has it has helped in the past for brain fog type headaches, relaxing and helps sleep. The only problem is that a tolerence to its effects occur quickly for me, so i will buy a bottle and use it semi regularly until its gone and then not use it for months. It was banned in australia and is still band for imports like through iherb but there are some brands sold in australia in health food shops, one brand is Thompsons. From memory it contained 60 kavalactones(the active ingredient) and from readings they say 200kavalactones is helpful for relaxation and sleep.

cheers!!!

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
DHEA. I used to gt a panic attack 1-day/month then after I had a hysterectomy, I suddenly got it forever. I was already noticing I would get high blood pressure only during PMS so I knew I had to fix the hormones. I went to the health food store (my Dad drove, I was pretty paniced - I dealt with it by look at the ground while I walked...the open spaces were a killer) and I bought DHEA. It took 50mg and - poof - in minutes, no panic. Best thing ever!!!

Grigor

@triffid113 Was your DHEA ever tested?

I like Theanine. Like everything else makes me feel too spaced out.
Theanine kind of chills you out. Not sedating. For me it's great in the late afternoon after a days hard work of dealing with ME on the sofa.