• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NutrEval Results - Opinion Please?

I got my results back from my NutrEval test. Please see attached.

Im curious how these results look to you and would welcome your feedback.

As a result, my doctor has put me on the following supplements.

1. http://www.iherb.com/Metabolic-Maintenance-5-MTHF-L-Methylfolate-10-mg-90-Capsules/38360?at=1 - 1 daily.
2. Selenium (yeast free) 200 mcgs taken before bed. (may help to increase glutathione production, reduce rt3, and antibodies)
3. Liposomal Vitamin C-( Lets talk health) -1 tsp am and 1 tsp mid afternoon.
4. Acetyl Glutathione 100 mgs 2 times per day
5. 2 mgs of copper chelated (solgar) once per day away from other minerals.
6. Transdermal magnesium oil -( 8 sprays) 100 mgs once daily before going to bed.
7. NOW Methyl B-12, 2mg daily.

Im supposed to have more blood testing done, but wanted to see where I stood so far.

Thank you for any input!

View attachment Genova_Report_.pdf

nanonug

I personally think that it is a bad idea for you to be taking this, for two reasons:

1. It appears to contain both L-Methylfolate and D-Methylfolate. This latter one has no known function in the body and could be toxic for all we know.
  2. 10mg of methylfolate in one single dosage is a lot. It would be best to split in several smaller dosages, always together with some methylcobalamin

Besides the NutrEval, did you do any other testing, particularly a Methylation Panel?

I personally think that it is a bad idea for you to be taking this, for two reasons:

1. It appears to contain both L-Methylfolate and D-Methylfolate. This latter one has no known function in the body and could be toxic for all we know.
  2. 10mg of methylfolate in one single dosage is a lot. It would be best to split in several smaller dosages, always together with some methylcobalamin

Besides the NutrEval, did you do any other testing, particularly a Methylation Panel?

Thank you for your feedback.
1) Is the D-Methylfolate from the latter of the 2? L-Methylfolate (from 5-methyltetrahydrofolate 20 mg)
2) Is this a good source? http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Optimized-Folate-L-Methylfolate-1000-mcg-100-Veggie-Caps/38523
3) So I should dose the B-12 (methylcobalamin) and folate together in 4-5 smaller doses?
4) This is the only testing the doctor has done so far. He has referenced this site and mentioned doing blood work, but wanted to see how I would do on the list supps first.

nanonug

1) Is the D-Methylfolate from the latter of the 2? L-Methylfolate (from 5-methyltetrahydrofolate 20 mg)

That's how I read it, i.e., 10mg of L-Methylfolate out of 20mg of 5-MTHF. It strongly suggests that the other 10mg are the racemic form, D-Methylfolate.

There are three brands I am aware of that contain "pure" L-Methylfolate: Metafolin, Quatrefolic and Extrafolate-S. Metafolin is produced by Merck while the latter two are manufactured by Gnosis. I feel confortable taking any of these three. The Life Extension product uses Quatrefolic.

3) So I should dose the B-12 (methylcobalamin) and folate together in 4-5 smaller doses?

That is how I would do it. In the case of methylcobalamin, sublingual appears to be the preferred means as oral/gastric bioavailability is otherwise quite low (just around 1% of a large dose).

4) This is the only testing the doctor has done so far. He has referenced this site and mentioned doing blood work, but wanted to see how I would do on the list supps first.

My opinion is that without additional and proper testing, you are taking quite large amounts of stuff "in the dark." Personally, I would feel more comfortable starting with something such as Thorne Basic Nutrients III and then, after appropriate testing, incrementally adjust as needed. And given that the dosage is 6 capsules/day, it is easy to spread throughout the day (ex, with breakfast, lunch and dinner.)

Lala

How do you know it contains d-methylfolate? It is totally unclear to me. There is just l-methylfolate stated.