• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please thank Dr. Friedman

leelaplay

thanks misskoji

My letter is sent.

I included:

The thought that your institution would attempt to punish you for your extra-curricular activities seems outrageous! I hope you will keep your job but be able to sue them for illegal threats or something like that (Im sorry, Im obviously not a lawyer and dont know the correct terminology)

Hopefully the xmrv news will excite the whole scientific, medical and political world and your body of work will speak for itself and you will be head-hunted as a valuable resource rather than threatened and condemned.

islandfinn:)

S

SDD1244

Thank you for this. I think we also need to contact Dr. Friedman's employer ! ;)

S

SDD1244

If this university chooses to fire Dr. Friedman, I think we should send letters/e-mails of protest and include copies to the media. Of course we should consult with Dr. Friedman first.

leelaplay

reply from Dr Friedman

The email below arrived from Dr Friedman this evening. Not sure, but he may have even personalised it as I had thanked him for his role in the fight for good medical research and care for ME/CFS, and also referred to UMDNJ sending a letter condemning his extra-curricular activities.

Thank-you for your letter of support.

Whether employed by UMDNJ or not, I shall continue to use my expertise to further CFS research, education and patient care.

It is my privilege to do so!

Letters of support are coming in from all parts of this country and from many other countries.

Those letters convince me that what I am doing is appropriate and should be continued.

Thank-you!

Marylib

What a man. Well, I am glad I wrote to him. And it is good to know that although we may not be able to be the activists we once were, we can still send emails! Apologies to those who are not well enough to do this. We will do it for you. xoxox

leelaplay

Marylib said:
What a man. Well, I am glad I wrote to him. And it is good to know that although we may not be able to be the activists we once were, we can still send emails! Apologies to those who are not well enough to do this. We will do it for you. xoxox

yes ....... nod head ............ what she said

if:)

M

misskoji

A response email and his request of us

Here is the response I recieved. A big, huge thank you for everyone who sent him your support, thanks, and thoughts.

In my email to him I asked what, if anything, we as a community could do to help.

To whomever suggested that we write to his employer- great idea! I'll try to write something up tomorrow and if anyone wants the draft, I'll be happy to share.

Many thanks for your message of support.

At the moment, I am waiting for the University's decision as to what my "punishment" shall be.

UMDNJ is a New Jersey state institution. It is run by a Board of Trustees appointed by the governor. New Jersey elected a new governor at the beginning of the month. When he takes office, and if my situation has not improved, I intend to inform the governor of my situation and ask for his assistance in correcting it. At that point, I may ask the CFS Community to write the governor!

Hoping for your continued support.........

Sincerely,

Ken Friedman

Kenneth J. Friedman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology
New Jersey Medical School
185 South Orange Avenue
Newark, NJ 07103

973-972-4513 Voice
973-972-7950 Fax
friedman@umdnj.edu E-mail

Nina

I'll write to him, too. This man is a hero and he deserves much more than just our gratitude, unfortunately right now this seems to be the only thing most of us are able to give.

SeaShel

I sent a brief Thank You yesterday, and received a response last night also.

He's obviously answering each one personally based on what we individually say to him - how awesome is that?!

For me, it's such a new experience to have an doctor actually listen and respond to what I say! ;)

S.

Marylib

Writing to the governor

Let's all stay tuned and write to the new governor, if Dr F requests it.

S

SDD1244

"To whomever suggested that we write to his employer- great idea!"

Thank you. I hope it won't come down to that, but I'm 100% on-board if it does. Dr. Friedman has fought for our rights and I will fight for his.

starryeyes

I wrote him a letter of thanks and appreciation. It's nice to see what his replies have been. I wrote it in the Contact Us at PANDORA so if I don't hear back from him I'll use the email link given at the beginning of this thread.

United We Stand! :)

tee