• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Maf314: Double check your yoghurt maker temperature!

xrunner

I've just realised that the yoghurt maker I was given to make the Maf heats up too much. I checked the yoghurt temperature in the jars on two separate occasions. It's supposed to maintain it at around 40C but instead it goes up to 45-46C which isn't good for the beneficial bacteria, I think.
Either the maker is faulty or maybe it only works fine in certain European countries (I'm no technician).

undcvr

Where are you getting your Maf yogurt from ? Do you know what strains are in it ?

citybug

he says: strains of bacteria produce the very same enzymes, i.e. beta-galactosidase and sialidase used to make chemical GcMAF (p 14). plus colostrum for protein. I found these mentions in pubmed, but maybe other bacteria also make it.

If yoghurt is good for immune system anyway. I think we should try to reproduce it. Or someone analyze their yogurt.

A selected probiotic strain of Lactobacillus fermentum CM33 isolated from breast-fed infants as a potential source of ?-galactosidase for prebiotic oligosaccharide synthesis.
Sriphannam W, Lumyong S, Niumsap P, Ashida H, Yamamoto K, Khanongnuch C.
J Microbiol. 2012 Feb;50(1):119-26. Epub 2012 Feb 27.
PMID: 22367946 [PubMed - in process]
Related citations

Biotechnol Lett. 2012 Feb 15. [Epub ahead of print]
Analysis of ?-galactosidase production and their genes of two strains of Lactobacillus bulgaricus.
Zhang W, Wang C, Huang CY, Yu Q, Liu HC, Zhang CW, Pei XF, Xu X, Wang GQ.
Source
Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, West China School of Public Health, Sichuan University, #16, Section3, Renmin Nan Road, Chengdu, 610041, Sichuan, China, wendyzhang1982@163.com.
Abstract
A bacterial ?-galactosidase delivery system is a potential therapy for lactose intolerance. Currently, two Lactobacillus bulgaricus strains with different biological characteristics are under consideration as potential sources. However, differences in these ?-galactosidase genes and their resulting production levels are poorly characterized. The ?-galactosidase ORF of L. bulgaricus yogurt isolate had high variability and was terminated at site 1924 due to a stop codon. However, the full 114kDa ?-galactosidase band was still resolved by SDS-PAGE, which may indicate that the interrupted ORF was translated into more than one peptide, and they together were folded into the complete enzyme protein that showed much higher ?-galactosidase activity (6.2U/mg protein) than the enzyme generated from L. bulgaricus reference strain (2.5U/mg protein).

A selected probiotic strain of Lactobacillus fermentum CM33 isolated from breast-fed infants as a potential source of ?-galactosidase for prebiotic oligosaccharide synthesis.
Sriphannam W, Lumyong S, Niumsap P, Ashida H, Yamamoto K, Khanongnuch C.
J Microbiol. 2012 Feb;50(1):119-26. Epub 2012 Feb 27.
PMID: 22367946 [PubMed - in process]
Related citations

Biotechnol Lett. 2012 Feb 15. [Epub ahead of print]
Analysis of ?-galactosidase production and their genes of two strains of Lactobacillus bulgaricus.
Zhang W, Wang C, Huang CY, Yu Q, Liu HC, Zhang CW, Pei XF, Xu X, Wang GQ.
Source
Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, West China School of Public Health, Sichuan University, #16, Section3, Renmin Nan Road, Chengdu, 610041, Sichuan, China, wendyzhang1982@163.com.
Abstract
A bacterial ?-galactosidase delivery system is a potential therapy for lactose intolerance. Currently, two Lactobacillus bulgaricus strains with different biological characteristics are under consideration as potential sources. However, differences in these ?-galactosidase genes and their resulting production levels are poorly characterized. The ?-galactosidase ORF of L. bulgaricus yogurt isolate had high variability and was terminated at site 1924 due to a stop codon. However, the full 114kDa ?-galactosidase band was still resolved by SDS-PAGE, which may indicate that the interrupted ORF was translated into more than one peptide, and they together were folded into the complete enzyme protein that showed much higher ?-galactosidase activity (6.2U/mg protein) than the enzyme generated from L. bulgaricus reference strain (2.5U/mg protein).

I wanted a yogurt maker, so I started to read reviews, to pick the best one. Well all of them I read about have temperature problems. They get too hot like you said. Maybe not every one of every model, but some users got hot ones. For one model, a reviewer said they contacted the manufacturer, who said it was normal and that's how they are. So I did not buy one.

ukxmrv

Really sorry to hear that. I bought a cooking thermometer and checked reguarly when making yoghurt in London. Was lucky with mine.

Did you manage to get any results from the MAF that you did make?

xrunner

I have no doubts that it was the yogurt maker. When the maf works it gives me a bit of fatigue and joint inflammation, but for a couple of weeks it that's how I realised the yogurt maker was overheating. I also noticed the yogurt was curdling before it was due.
I bought another one, it worked fine when I tested it and then again for a couple of times but then it started to heat up.
It's really annoying as it must have damaged the cultures, at least partially.

Really sorry to hear that. I bought a cooking thermometer and checked reguarly when making yoghurt in London. Was lucky with mine.

Did you manage to get any results from the MAF that you did make?

ukxmrv,
Now I also check regularly with a thermometer but it's a pain. It seems impossible to find a maker with some kind of temperature control feature.
Are you saying that yours doesn't have a temperature problem? Can you tell what make you use?
Yes the Maf has been helping. I have had a substantial improvement the past few weeks but I have also been trying other things, so it's hard to say exactly to what extent the Maf has contributed.

Now I also check regularly with a thermometer but it's a pain. It seems impossible to find a maker with some kind of temperature control feature.
Are you saying that yours doesn't have a temperature problem? Can you tell what make you use?

I was shocked how most yogurt makers can have the variance in temperature, destroying the beneficial parts. Maybe you can buy and check the temp, and return it if the temp is too high. Until you get a unit that is right.

If you can afford it, you can get a food dehydrator with adjustable thermostat and make yogurt in jars in the dehydrator. I believe this is better, dehydrators would keep the temperature more consistent.

Not all dehydrators can fit jars. The ones with many pull-out trays, you can remove many of the trays and cover the tray openings with aluminum foil, to make the jars fit. There is also one dehydrator with deeper trays which I believe is enough to place a shallow dish in, say 2 to 2.75 inches tall?

ukxmrv

For my first batch I used a rice cooker and two thermomenters to check the temperature. Then bought a proper yoghurt maker as this was too hit and miss.