• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yoga Video Recommendation?

JAH

Can anyone recommend an easy, beginner yoga dvd? I know some yoga and enjoy it, but way too sick to take a class. I'm looking for a dvd that I could actually do, that is focused on poses where you are sitting or lying down, can't do a lot of stuff standing.

Thanks!

JAH

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
JAH, this might sound like a ridiculous suggestion, but I've been using my wife's prenatal yoga DVD because it's specifically designed to be low-key yoga (so as not to harm the fetus)--which ends up being perfect for someone with ME. The problem I've found with other yoga DVDs, even before I got ME, was that most of them cycle through the poses waaaaay too quickly. Anyway, I've been using this one and it's working out great.

Ema

I have a subscription to myyogaonline.com. There are so many good ones to stream from that site and for all levels so you can change it up depending on how you feel. There are also Pilates and stretching ones. It's 9.95 a month (but there are specials often) and you can start with a two week free trial to see if it suits you.

I also have Comcast and there are free yoga workouts included in the OnDemand section under Sports and Fitness. Some of them have been pretty good as well...

JAH

JAH, this might sound like a ridiculous suggestion, but I've been using my wife's prenatal yoga DVD because it's specifically designed to be low-key yoga (so as not to harm the fetus)--which ends up being perfect for someone with ME. The problem I've found with other yoga DVDs, even before I got ME, was that most of them cycle through the poses waaaaay too quickly. Anyway, I've been using this one and it's working out great.

That's actually a great suggestion - would never have thought of that on my own, thank you,

J

JAH

I have a subscription to myyogaonline.com. There are so many good ones to stream from that site and for all levels so you can change it up depending on how you feel. There are also Pilates and stretching ones. It's 9.95 a month (but there are specials often) and you can start with a two week free trial to see if it suits you.

I also have Comcast and there are free yoga workouts included in the OnDemand section under Sports and Fitness. Some of them have been pretty good as well...

I'm going to try the 2 week trial, thank you,

J

*GG*

I would like to suggest that people support this website, besides others that they like. You can donate as little as $1 per month!

GG

PS I recently started doing this, I found this forum so valuable and think it has been a big piece of my wellness! The recurring monthly charge to a website made me think of this. Not trying to offend anyone, do as you like.

JAH

I would like to suggest that people support this website, besides others that they like. You can donate as little as $1 per month!

GG

PS I recently started doing this, I found this forum so valuable and think it has been a big piece of my wellness! The recurring monthly charge to a website made me think of this. Not trying to offend anyone, do as you like.

Great idea. I actually made money because of this forum - was in a paid study - so I will make a donation.

JAH

charityfundraiser

There's another thread here:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...a-videos-easy-enough-for-people-with-CFS-here

myyogaonline.com as mentioned above is the best I've seen for streaming video although I haven't tried a subscription yet.

I just tried my first yoga class in studio. If you can get to a yoga class but don't think you can do a one hour regular class, try looking for restorative/yin/gentle yoga classes or classes specifically for people recovering from surgeries, injuries, or illnesses. The restorative/yin yoga class I tried was doable. Poses were mostly held lying on the front or back and held for a longer time.

JAH

There's another thread here:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...a-videos-easy-enough-for-people-with-CFS-here

myyogaonline.com as mentioned above is the best I've seen for streaming video although I haven't tried a subscription yet.

I just tried my first yoga class in studio. If you can get to a yoga class but don't think you can do a one hour regular class, try looking for restorative/yin/gentle yoga classes or classes specifically for people recovering from surgeries, injuries, or illnesses. The restorative/yin yoga class I tried was doable. Poses were mostly held lying on the front or back and held for a longer time.

Thank you for alerting me to the earlier thread -- some good stuff there. I am interested in yin yoga, and going to try to find some dvds on amazon or netflix. (love how I feel after doing chi gong, but can't go to those classes either- seems like yin yoga might be the best of both worlds) If you know any yin yoga dvds, let me know,

JAH

Thank you. Good suggestion for my wife.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Can anyone recommend an easy, beginner yoga dvd? I know some yoga and enjoy it, but way too sick to take a class. I'm looking for a dvd that I could actually do, that is focused on poses where you are sitting or lying down, can't do a lot of stuff standing.

Thanks!

JAH

http://cfsknowledgecenter.ning.com/ Has just reached their funding goal to make a video for ME/CFS patients who want a yoga instruction video geared to them. I think you have to join this group to get the updates.

Best,
Sushi