• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hair Mineral Testing

Jarod

I found that information via Google, using search terms consisting solely of information that she has posted in this thread.

How do you know the person showed up as a new user on phoenix rising it is the same person you dug up on some old broken website link?

Nestle and Louie Sugar3.jpgHello Everyone,

My name is Christine Huebner. I am president of Hairs to Health, Inc. I took Dr. Larry Wilson's hair mineral analysis course to obtain the ability to start a company, however, I do not agree with his views and opinions. Just because you take someone's course, doesn't mean you agree with them. And in this case, I do not. I was listed as an animal contact, not human contact, due to the very reason that he and I disagree. I have taken graduate level nutrition coursese via email from Professor Daniel Gallaher at University of MN. He continues to answer questions that I present. I do not hold any degrees in nutrition though.

As I've stated, my company has worked with the Bedlington Terrier Assoc. and reviewed many liver biopsy reports as well as blood work and correlated the hair charts to these valid ways of testing for minerals.

Hairs to Health, Inc. was interested to see if there were correlations to people with CSF on hair charts. All the hair chart that I've been given are from various labs around the world. Hairs to Health, Inc. can not vouch for the accuracy of those tests. My company has reviewed several people's charts and offered some general suggestions to guide energy production. However, to better guide this process, my company would like to review a current hair test with the lab that I work with, Analytical Research Labs, Inc. in AZ. So to those few people that I've offered some general suggestions via private email, I will offer this - if you cantact my company through my website, my company will do a current hair test for you free of charge. This will allow my company to offer more detailed supplement suggestions.

I hope this helps everyone now understand that Hairs to Health, Inc. is not affiiated in any way with Dr. Larry Wilson or Andrew Cutler or Dr. Bill Walsh or Dr. Mercola, or Dr Oz.

The man that guided me initially, which I say in my radio interview, was a molecular biologist, Professor Ray LeRoy. He spent his life working with hair testing and horses. He is the man that originally set the normal values for dogs and saved the lives of my dogs - in my opinion. Of course God had the final say and I thank him every day.

Some people may have taken my comments out of context. If anyone has any comments or questions about what I said/posted/wrote, or what is being attributed to what I said/posted/wrote, feel free to contact my company with your questions.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hello Everyone,

My name is Christine Huebner. I am president of Hairs to Health, Inc. I took Dr. Larry Wilson's hair mineral analysis course to obtain the ability to start a company, however, I do not agree with his views and opinions. Just because you take someone's course, doesn't mean you agree with them. And in this case, I do not. I have taken graduate level nutrition coursese via email from Professor Daniel Gallaher at University of MN. He continues to answer questions that I present. I do not hold any degrees in nutrition though.

Hi Christine--It's great to know more about about. Thanks for offering this information about yourself.

Hairs to Health, Inc. was interested to see if there were correlations to people with CSF on hair charts. All the hair chart that I've been given are from various labs around the world. Hairs to Health, Inc. can not vouch for the accuracy of those tests. My company has reviewed several people's charts and offered some general suggestions to guide energy production. However, to better guide this process, my company would like to review a current hair test with the lab that I work with, Analytical Research Labs, Inc. in AZ. So to those few people that I've offered some general suggestions via private email, I will offer this - if you cantact my company through my website, my company will do a current hair test for you free of charge. This will allow my company to offer more detailed supplement suggestions.

WOW! That's a very generous offer. (my bolds) I will definitely take you up on it.

THANK YOU.

Valentijn

my company will do a current hair test for you free of charge. This will allow my company to offer more detailed supplement suggestions.

Are those general supplement suggestions, or are people directed toward the supplements sold by the same company that runs the tests (Analytical Research Labs/Endo-met Laboratories)?

adreno

PR activist
Hi Christine, thanks for introducing yourself. I listened to your radio interview and found it interesting. It does make sense intuitively, that balance of nutrients is the key. It would also explain why many have adverse reactions to taking high doses of certain nutrients, like folate.

It is kind of a paradigm shift, though. Most practitioners employ the shotgun approach to nutrient deficiencies.

I have a couple of questions:

Have you any idea how these nutritional imbalances started? Is it due to gut issues? Depletion of soil? Processing of foods? Genetics?

Many of us seemed to start having problems after an infection, often viral. Could that somehow lead to imbalances?

When people more or less randomly select foods in the supermarket, how can they know if their nutrition is balanced?

This balance seems very delicate, and easy to upset. It almost seems like everyone should need regular mineral analysis to keep track of nutrient balance.

Adreno,

Your question is the "theory" I have been trying to write - what caused it. I believe it was the World Health Orginization that set up the imbalance, but all of you can judge for yourself after you read how I've put it together. I've touched on many of the reasons like taking too much of one kind of supplement. Most recent research even shows that possibly the amount of folic acid enrichment may have caused problems (I completly agree).

http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/1/159.full
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 86, No. 1, 159-166, July 2007
2007 American Society for Nutrition

Effect of folate oversupplementation on folate uptake by human intestinal and renal epithelial cells1,2,3
Balasubramaniem Ashokkumar, Zainab M Mohammed, Nosratola D Vaziri and Hamid M Said
1 From the Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology (BA, ZMM, NDV, and HMS) and the Department of Physiology and Biophysics (NDV and HMS), University of California, Irvine, CA, and the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Long Beach, CA (BA and HMS)
2 Supported by grants from the National Institutes of Health (DK58057 and DK075348) and the Department of Veterans Affairs.

When you become ill, or take various medications, the body has xenobiotics (foreign things like a virus) that have entered it. Thus the body has to detoxify these things via the liver. This requires many nutrients to be used correctly. But when you understand the thousands of enzyme reactions that riboflavin overseas, you begin to track backward from most instances of health imbalance to a level of B2 that just got too low.

As I wrote before, Professor Gallaher does not agree with me that the "balance" is critical to optimal health. But I believe it is. Once you experience how your body feels when it is adequately producing ATP, you very quickly know when the balance again is off. I think people have to learn more about nutrients and what symptoms indicate deficiency. Also how they interact. This helps a person guide their own way in choosing what foods they should eat to bring the balance back. One thing that Professor Gallaher and I do agree on though is, if your body is in balance, then one should always constantly vary what natural foods you eat so you obtain all nutrients (known and unknown).

Each food, if you look it up on the USDA nutrieint data base http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list will show you the breakdown of each food. If you use this regularly, you will learn what foods are high in various nutrients and what are low. All foods differ, but some slant to being very high in one things. I will say though, that God seemes to have designed most foods to balance themselves. For example, lobster is very high in copper, but also very high in Omega 3's which remove copper. Some foods that are very high in iron are also very high in phytic acid which binds it and lowers its absorption. So there is normally a balance to foods. Some not so like brazil nuts that have an incredibly high level of selenium. This I believe is the reason for the high "allergy" response to it.

In my opinion, I believe when man tampered with the balance of foods, by enriching them, it was not a good thing. Their knowledge of nutrition was what it was at the time, but I believe they made a wrong decision based on lack of knowledge in 1939. Foods preserved with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) cause a change in non heme iron (the kind in foods that is hard to absorb) to heme iron (the kind that is easy to absorb). So just what seemed like a simple thing to preserve a food with a "natural" substance, can dramatically affects your health. This is just one instance of changing the balance of our foods.

I always advise all my clients, if they want to work with me they can no longer eat enriched products. That is nearly impossible in the US for dairy - as Vitamin A is in most, except greek yogurts, but hopefully once this information gets out, the World Health Orginization will make changes and our lives can go forward healthier.

I will say that hair testing has been the best way I've been able to track my dogs, husband and my balance. I do know when I take too much of one nutrient or get busy and eat the same food several days in a row - I again do not feel optimal. But I check our charts fairly often to observe which way I swayed our balance. Sometimes it's even difficult for me to tell, but the more experience I get at using them, the better I become at understanding them.

adreno

PR activist
Christine, I also found it distressing to hear that the veterinarians recommended your dogs be put down, because nothing could be done for them.

Where does that leave patients like us? We suffer all the same issues as your dogs, and nothing can be done for us by the medical community. Following the same logic, we should be put down as well.

It does seem very unlikely, that a drug will ever be developed, that can treat the myriad of symptoms involved in ME. When so many different symptoms arise, across basically all biological the subsystems, it only makes sense that there is something fundamentally wrong in the most basic of biochemical processes of life.

This is Nestle and Louie's story.

The veterinary community wanted me to put them to sleep at about age 5 because so many things had gone wrong with them. They had severe food and environmental allergies, inflammatory bowel disease, breathing attacks, epileptic seizures, microvascular dysplasia (microsize vessicles) of the liver causing liver shunts, osteocondroitis desicans (where the cartliadge comes loose from the ends of the bones), various autoimmune diseases affecting their vision and toenails, low thyroid, extreme mental issues and phobias, severe reactions to almost all medications so all was being compounded with careful excipients. Their blood showed severe iron overload. (If iron saturation reaches 80% you die my male Louie was at 79.7% and my female Nestle was at 69.7%.). They tested deficient in folic acid and B12, had elevated post prandial bile acids and had platelet counts so low (below 70,000) we had to check their gums daily to see if they were bleeding internally. Their cholesterol levels were nearly 400 but the vets said not to worry, dogs dont get heart disease. We were told to feed them a novel protein when they thought their problem was food allergy. We picked Canine Caviars beaver meat knowing they had never eaten a beaver. Unfortunately, it is the highest iron content meat there is, which almost killed them, but did reveal their iron overload. We paid hundreds of dollars to have one of the top vet nutritionist in the US custom design a home cooked diet for their specific medical conditions which only sent them deathly ill to the emergency center yet again.

Louie threw up every day at 4:30 am almost to the minute and they had diarrhea many times a day. Their muscles twitched, they lost most of their fur and what was left faded to orange, they had raw sores all over their body and constantly itched, sneezed, shook their heads and were starting to get lots of fatty tumors and hematomas in their ear flaps. Louie was very unsteady on his feet and fell allot. He even fell out of bed and managed to rupture a disc in his back. So we tried steroids, acupuncture, magnet therapy and swimming therapy nothing helped his back and he continued to loose his ability to walk correctly with his back paws not righting themselves. He had lots of pain when he tried to bend down to defecate. If you tried to pick up his feet to wipe his paws, he would cry in pain because all his joints hurt so badly. His front shoulders always hurt after the two five thousand dollar surgeries to take out the loose pieces of cartilage that had broken off. We put him in our waterbed so he would be comfortable, though he would wake up and stay awake from 1 am-4:30 am most nights before he vomited. He was supposed to take Adaquan shots but would swell up like a baseball from the shots. So theyd give him a dexamathasone shot to take down that swelling, but then the inflammatory bowel would flare again. They told me to try glucosamine/condroitin, but that made him vomit endlessly. Poor Louie got so used to me grabbing him out of bed and pulling him into the bathroom so he could vomit on the vinyl floor instead of on the carpet in the bedroom, that when he had to vomit, he just got off the bed and went there himself. The diagnosis for the vomiting was from the Merck Vet Manual called Early Morning Vomiting Syndrome cause unknown. Both of them had nightmares every night. They would start with their paws moving like they were running, then they would start to growl, followed by a heart breaking howl. We would shake them to wake them, pet them and rub them. Then they both would let out a sad groan and lay back down and try to sleep while their legs twitched.

Nestle and Louie lived on various pain medicines if they could stand them, prednisone, Tagamet, Sucralfate, Flagyl, and two auto immune suppressing drugs but they were barely living. That was when the vets suggested giving up and putting them down.

The reason everything went wrong was that their manganese stores were almost non-existant and that every endoplasmic reticulum (ER) in every organ in the body was malfunctioning and every sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR) in every muscle, because of this deficiency - which can lead to any symptom. It all stared from a mother that had been bred 8 times with no prenatal vitamins and dog foods that were unbalanced. There were only 4 puppies in the liter instead of 12-14, 1 was dead and both Nestle and Louie are too small for the breed. Their brother had to be kept by the breeder, because he was so agressive he could not be managed - now I believe that was due to such high, out-of-control iron. One symptom of unusable iron is pica or the desire to eat unusual things like ice, etc. Nestle and Louie kept eating dirt from ant hills and ice off our deck as puppies. Their instincts had them eat all kinds of fiber (the ficus trees in my house for example) to try and block the absorption of any more iron from going in, because their body's ability to block it had been lost. If only I'd know what they were trying to tell me when they were young.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
OMG! Your poor dogs! That is a horrible story. I am really eager to know how you corrected their problems, and how they are doing now. Are they completely better?

CJB

Please direct those of us who would like to have the hair mineral analysis done but have not been in e-mail contact with you how to submit samples so you will be able to include them in your analysis of CFS patients. BTW. Even though I've been following this discussion very closely, I'm sure I've missed a lot, so apologies in advance if this has already been covered. Your analysis will only be as reliable as your cohort selection. There are several criteria including Canadian, Fukuda, etc. Some simple client questionnaire should help.

Dog Person 2:hug: I love any story that ends with dogs healing and getting healthy. I doubt it's any accident they came into your lives.

richvank

Hi, Christine and the group.

Christine, I really appreciate your contributions to this forum. Sorry that you had to "blow your cover" to get some respect here, but it's good to have you fully on board!

I, too, watched your interview, and found it very interesting. The parts I had some background on made good sense to me, and I'm hoping to learn more about the parts I haven't been familiar with.

One thing I want to comment on is what you said about the ratio of potassium to sodium and what it means in terms of the energy status (I think you used different words, but that's what I understood you to mean). As you know, in ME/CFS, people are at a low energy status, as evidenced by the fatigue. Studies, especially by Myhill et al., have shown that the mitochondria are dysfunctional in ME/CFS, which means a lower than normal rate of production of ATP.

ATP, among many other uses, powers the cell membrane ion pumps, one of which is the sodium-potassium ATPase ion pump, which exchanges sodium for potassium and accounts for potassium normally being the most abundant positive ion inside the cells. If the mitochondria are dysfunctional, we should expect that these pumps will not be able to operate as fast as normal, and thus will not be able to keep up as well as normal with leakage of potassium back out of the cells via the potassium channels.

We should therefore expect that the intracellular potassium concentration would be below normal in ME/CFS, and in fact that is what was found by a research group in Australia headed by R.B. Burnet in 2004, who evaluated the total body potassium by counting the gamma rays emitted by the natural radioactive isotope potassium-40.

Based on this, and what you said about the ratio of potassium to sodium in the hair analysis reflecting the energy status, I would expect that you would see a low ratio of potassium to sodium in the hair of PWMEs. Is that what you observe?

Best regards,

Rich

SaraM

Dog person,

What do you think about blood elements test? I was thinking of getting one done. My hair became dry ,wavy, and frizzy after I got CFS. I never felt hair test could be reliable, so I never ordered one.

aquariusgirl

Sara: Just jumping in here while you wait for a response from Dog Person. Rich recommends the intracellular minerals test from Exatest. I think because the blood tightly regulates potassium and some other stuff :), so tissue gives a better sense of what's going on.
Just fyi: I ran it and my magnesium was really low everything else in range. some barely. but I didn't get a good sense of my baseline on potassium because I goofed & took lots of supplemental potassium in the days before the test. I didn't realise the test only reflected the previous 4 days levels..so the supplements would have skewed the potassium reading.