• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

giving acetyl tyrosine a go?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Acetyl tyrosine is suppose to help us with making noradrenaline and dopamine, so could potentially help us with cognitive issues and give us more energy. Acetyl version is suppose to be absorbed better then normal tyrosine.

I have jarrows brand acetyl tyrosine which is doses at 350mg a cap. Today i have taken just one cap on an empty stomache so it doesnt have to compete with other amino acids to get inside this little brain of mine. I also waited 45min before eating. My intention is not to use this on a daily basis but for days when i really need a boost, sort of like a pepp pill i suppose.

I will say my head feels abit clearer, im not bounding with energy but im encouraged enough to try it again, maybe two capsulse next time. We will see how long it lasts. 350mg is a low dose and recently read where a man uses 2-3000mg a day which has helped him with parkinsons, the dopamine from acetyl tyrosine is helping him.

I have used normal tyrosine in the past and didnt really get much out of it and that was using 2000mg at a time.

Time will tell i guess.

cheers!!!

L'engle

moogle
Supposedly absorbed better and crosses into the brain better. Only one way to find out and thats to be your own lab rat, lol.
definately seems to be helping with brain fog, we will see if it happens again tomorrow??

cheers!!!

Good to hear! I found regular L-tyrosine to be somewhat helpful for a while, but eventually led to joint pain. Good luck with this different kind!

heapsreal

its about two and half hours since i took the acetyl tyrosine and my cognitive energy and mood have definately improved. Im getting a very light sweat which is similar to when i have used ad's that work on noradrenaline, but at the moment i dont feel over agitated. The sweats is probably not a good thing if i had to work or go out etc but maybe with time this will deminish. I think it will be good for when i need energy for around the house etc. At this stage i dont think i will be taking more then one capsule or taking it to late in the day, but im happy with its effects and i think it will make a good pepp pill or a mood brightener.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

acetyl tyrosine gave me a good 4 hours of extra cognitive energy that i obviously noticed, but i think overall by the end of the day my brain fog and cognitive abilities were better then they normally would have been. It would be nice to be able to move some of this energy into my muscles and exercise some. But i think with exercise its more of the recovery process we need to improve on, acetyl tyrosine is like the spark plug to get us started maybe.

I am using acetyl carnitine and q10 for mitochondrial supps and maybe look at adding NADH as well as a ribose creatine mix with the hope of increase energy levels and also activity recovery. Hormone modulation im working on i think will also help me with this recovery process.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

I have used acetyl tyrosine 3 days in a row, the first days minor sweating side effects havent occurred since i took the first dose. The type of energy i get from it seems to be more of a calm type of effect that improves mood, concentration and brain fog. Im going to have a couple of days off it now and see what happens. Its definately something thats helping and hasnt effected my sleep in a negative way, although i havent taken it late in the day yet.

I'm vaguely thinking about trying it, since raising norepinephrine could help with my NMH. But tyrosine gets converted to dopamine first, which I have more than enough of, while my epinephrine and norepinephrine were low and low-normal. So I don't know if it would help since my problem might be with converting dopamine into the other catecholamines, rather than not having enough dopamine to start out with.

heapsreal

I'm vaguely thinking about trying it, since raising norepinephrine could help with my NMH. But tyrosine gets converted to dopamine first, which I have more than enough of, while my epinephrine and norepinephrine were low and low-normal. So I don't know if it would help since my problem might be with converting dopamine into the other catecholamines, rather than not having enough dopamine to start out with.

Interesting about tyrosine converting to dopamine first, something i didnt know. One way to find out is to give it a go, maybe a few times to judge its effects. the good thing about it is its cheap, so not much to lose. How do u know u have too much dopamine?? Have u had neurotransmitters tested?
Phenylalanine is another amino acid im thinking of trying as it also can increase norepi and dopamine as well as help with pain etc.
I think using aminos to enhance neurotransmitters maybe better tolerated then common antidepressants as aminos arent forcing high levels but just allowing the body to naturally produce what it needs, hopefully. I also think that neurotransmitters are commonly overlooked in favour of immune/infection problems as well as mitochondrial treatments, i think we need to try and work on the whole lot.

cheers!!!

How do u know u have too much dopamine?? Have u had neurotransmitters tested?

Yeah, I had them tested. I like supplements better too, but no point if I can't covert them into what I need. Maybe one of the cofactors (copper, vitamin C, oxygen) needed for the reaction are lacking :p

Sing

Thanks, heapsreal, for the specifics. I too think this is a good approach--working with the aminos. I've been taking L-Tyrosine, 1,000mg lately as, years ago, I took it successfully for Seasonal Affective Disorder, just in the winter. In the past it helped with mood and brain function, but it didn't resolve my other problems with ME/CFS. Currently, the pills I am taking aren't having much effect, but the bottle is old (though technically not out of date), and this isn't the kind you are using, acetyl-tyrosine. I will order some and try it. Anything which helps with brain fog and mood is a big help!

heapsreal

Thanks, heapsreal, for the specifics. I too think this is a good approach--working with the aminos. I've been taking L-Tyrosine, 1,000mg lately as, years ago, I took it successfully for Seasonal Affective Disorder, just in the winter. In the past it helped with mood and brain function, but it didn't resolve my other problems with ME/CFS. Currently, the pills I am taking aren't having much effect, but the bottle is old (though technically not out of date), and this isn't the kind you are using, acetyl-tyrosine. I will order some and try it. Anything which helps with brain fog and mood is a big help!

Sing, if it just helps u with mood then it will make u feel better about feeling like crap, lol. Sometimes i think we need a lift like that.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

Yeah, I had them tested. I like supplements better too, but no point if I can't covert them into what I need. Maybe one of the cofactors (copper, vitamin C, oxygen) needed for the reaction are lacking :p

The jarrows brand i use has co-factors with it, b6 and vit c, not sure if they help with noradrenaline conversion??

cheers!!!

undcvr

Tyrosine also goes into making the T3 and T4 hormones of your thyroid. How do you know the increase of these hormones are not what is giving you the sweats and the extra energy instead of just the dopamine effect ? Also L- dopa would be closer to dopamine instead of tyrosine so that should be even of more help when it comes to cognitive function. I didn't say mood because there is some recent research that connects depression to low thyroid levels and assumingly tyrosine can correct that.

heapsreal

Tyrosine also goes into making the T3 and T4 hormones of your thyroid. How do you know the increase of these hormones are not what is giving you the sweats and the extra energy instead of just the dopamine effect ? Also L- dopa would be closer to dopamine instead of tyrosine so that should be even of more help when it comes to cognitive function. I didn't say mood because there is some recent research that connects depression to low thyroid levels and assumingly tyrosine can correct that.

Hi und,

I only got mild sweats the first time i used acetyl tyrosine, further doses havent done this. I dont really know exactly what its effecting but guessing on info i have read that its effecting dopamine and noradrenaline, although it does feel similar to noradrenaline reuptakes i have used in the past but not as overstimulating as them. Could be effecting thyroid, i might monitor my body temp shortly after using it to see if theres a big difference. I suppose anything that is stimulating is going to have an effect on multiple systems like thyroid and neurotransmitters and adrenals etc

cheers!!!

heapsreal

i am looking into dopa mucuna to help with increasing dopamine, but that will be further down the track in my next supplement order. I think l-dopa itself is classed as a drug here, so no chance of using it specifically.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

For what it's worth I did not do well with tyrosine. It very slowly but surely amped me up into a frenzy of wiredness.

Interesting. I am normally like that with anything stimulating but since i have been on dhea, i think it helps counteract the possible increase in cortisol i would normally get from a product like this, but im just gussing. Many things i suppose are effected by stimulating products like adrenals, thyroid and neurotransmitters and from what i have read dhea helps balance and works with these other systems. My dhea was really low and i have been slowly increase this with dhea supps which i think is also helping.

Today i have taken 2 acetyl tyrosine which is 700mg, we will see what happens, either overstimulated or more general improvement??

cheers!!!

Sing

heapsreal, I am following your reports with interest. Keep em up!

My experimentation with the old bottle of L-Tyrosine, though still in date it says, has me now up to 1500 mgs in the am. Can't tell if it is doing anything! Just 500 mg of this kind of Tyrosine used to work,
at least to lift mood. Well, maybe my mood IS better, but this may just be spring on its way.

heapsreal

heapsreal, I am following your reports with interest. Keep em up!

My experimentation with the old bottle of L-Tyrosine, though still in date it says, has me now up to 1500 mgs in the am. Can't tell if it is doing anything! Just 500 mg of this kind of Tyrosine used to work,
at least to lift mood. Well, maybe my mood IS better, but this may just be spring on its way.

Hi SIng,

Are you taking it on an empty stomach?? Maybe the acetyl version would work better for you??
I took 2 caps yesterday and accomplished alot more with chores around the house and i dont feel overstimulated bit it like say caffeine and slept well last night. I will have a couple of days break from it now and see what a difference it makes again.

cheers!!!