• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Difficulty tolerating L-carnitine fumarate

SJB944

Wondering about other experiences with l-carnitine fumarate? Am taking 250mg on an empty stomach and it's causing digestive issues -- mainly intense wind and irritation.

Well I read you can have a glass of water, or even juice is probably okay, so I'd try that if you did not. Better than a completely empty stomach.

SJB944

Yep, have it with glass of water. Irritation persists long taking it.

Tried a different brand to no avail. Might try acytel form.

Lou

Wondering about other experiences with l-carnitine fumarate? Am taking 250mg on an empty stomach and it's causing digestive issues -- mainly intense wind and irritation.

My symptoms are not digestive, but an overall --for lack of a better word-- yucky feeling, which was about the only feeling as it seemed to curtail emotional response. I too, took it on empty stomach, but for now have stopped altogether.

Wish we could figure this out because it is supposed to. among other things, help in rebuilding muscle, something I could still use some additional help on --though gcmaf therapy has greatly helped with this.

L'engle

moogle
I always take it with food. It's tough on the stomach otherwise. Large doses do create a 'yucky' feeling, something about the chemical reaction. I find 3 caplets for me is enough to get a benefit without feeling unpleasant, but it may not be tolerable for others.

Lou

Hi L'engle,

I was only taking one caplet. Something in my makeup must make the chemical reaction severe.

May I ask what the benefit is that you've noticed?

SJB944

Can't say I've noticed any benefit. Apart from causing major digestive issues, I think it is putting a lot of pressure on my liver also.

Had to stop taking it, waiting to see if things will settle down.

L'engle

moogle
Sorry to hear others are having such problems! :(

For me it has increased exercise tolerance, especially in larger amounts. It also seems to have a good effect on blood sugar and pulse rate. Though I'm still nowhere near normal and still very capable of over-doing it with simple things, this supplement is one of the few I can report a real benefit from. I think it may still be a bit tough on the stomach.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Sorry to hear others are having such problems! :(

For me it has increased exercise tolerance, especially in larger amounts. It also seems to have a good effect on blood sugar and pulse rate. Though I'm still nowhere near normal and still very capable of over-doing it with simple things, this supplement is one of the few I can report a real benefit from. I think it may still be a bit tough on the stomach.

What sort of dosage do u use L'e??

cheers!!!

L'engle

moogle
What sort of dosage do u use L'e??

cheers!!!

Short answer, 3 tablets of Jarrow 500mg :)

Long answer:

Well, it's a little confusing due to the ways the different brands seem to list them. Right now of the Jarrow brand (500mg) I'm taking 2-3 a day. On the back of the bottle it lists "500mg something something (I don't have the bottle on hand right now) from 862mg something something. The Dr.'s Best brand lists each tablet as 862(ish)mg and on the back of the bottle says 500mg ss from 862mg ss. So I had bought them thinking it had more than the Jarrow's but on reading the back of the bottles it looks as though they count them differently, and I'm not sure if recommended doses take into account the smaller number or the larger one. :)

Hi Everyone,
I'd like to put in my 2 cents on the discussion about L-carnitine fumarate. I take a very small dose, probably one tenth of a capsule, each day. I started at a bit higher dose, and loved the extra energy! As it typical, however, I ended up decreasing my dose due to insomnia. I have settled comfortably on the 1/10th dose. It gives me a tad bit more energy, and yet does not interfere with my sleep. I will try to work up VERY slowly.

therron

Velha said this is what she took that gave her her energy back:

"I had to take 2.5 g of carnitine fumarate (patented by sigma tau) very critical to take this form TWO times a day on an empty stomach - being sensitive I could tell the difference!! Doctor's Best and Jarrow both use this patented version and are the only two brands I will use. I tried many forms (carnitine tartrate, acetyl-carnitine and many brands because this stuff costs so much so I know which work and which don't - - a vitacost bottle that supposedly contained same product also, but it DID NOT contain it or had so much less than it said it did that it was a total waste of money! It's a shame these things can be so variable as people may make conclusions about certain supplements when really it was the manufacturer not the particular supplement ...

I've been able to lower this to 2.5 g once per day, ..."

I just thought I'd say that if you can afford to test (I know all these tests add up) www.lef.org has a carnitine test. I find I can take any amount of carnitine and it does nothing for me. So I tested and found if I take my methylation supplements I make enough carnitine and dont need it. Pills are expensive so someday it may be worthwhile to test.

Rydra