• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cervical Neuro-Muscular Syndrome (CNMS) study and ME/CFS

Gamboa

This is a study out from Japan about diagnosing and treating Cervical Neuro-Muscular Syndrome, CNMS, which the authors believe could be a cause of CFS and other conditions of fatigue, pain, headache etc.

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/nmc/52/2/75/_pdf

I definitely fit the criteria and am currently going to a chiropractor in an attempt to stop my headaches. Interestingly, my neck X-rays showed I have an abnormally straight neck (it has lost its curvature).

Boule de feu

My neck looks more like B. Actually, it is exactly like B.
I answered 18 yes on the questionnaire.
I am too tired to read the whole thing, so what do they offer as a treatment?

FancyMyBlood

I was just going to post this study. Unfortunately CNMS doesn't seem to be a recognised medical condition so Google mostly comes up with Japanese sources. One of the authors previously described some case reports (http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperDownload.aspx?paperID=5500) and I must say the results almost seem to good to be true. Because of it I really hope this will catch some interest from other researchers.

Gamboa

I was just going to post this study. Unfortunately CNMS doesn't seem to be a recognised medical condition so Google mostly comes up with Japanese sources. One of the authors previously described some case reports (http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperDownload.aspx?paperID=5500) and I must say the results almost seem to good to be true. Because of it I really hope this will catch some interest from other researchers.

It does seem too good to be true regarding the treatment results for CFS. I can see how it might help with tension headaches or whiplash. I definitely have an issue with my neck and often have very sore and tight cervical muscles. The problem is who to see about this. Presently I see a chiropractor but I think it needs more than that. Like you say we can only hope some other researchers look into this.

FancyMyBlood

It does seem too good to be true regarding the treatment results for CFS. I can see how it might help with tension headaches or whiplash. I definitely have an issue with my neck and often have very sore and tight cervical muscles. The problem is who to see about this. Presently I see a chiropractor but I think it needs more than that. Like you say we can only hope some other researchers look into this.

Agreed, I don't think a chiropractor is the best solution here. The papers states that CNMS is (partly) diagnosed by magnetic resonance imaging(MR) or computed tomography (CT). (To see the full diagnostic criteria read the material and methods section, it seems I can't copy/paste it) The authors are probably neurologists given their affiliation with a neuro-center and neurological institute, so your best bet would be a neurologist.

Unfortunately I think most neurologists laugh you right in the face when you're trying to inform them so it may be best to take the full paper with you.

Gamboa

Unfortunately I think most neurologists laugh you right in the face when you're trying to inform them so it may be best to take the full paper with you.

How true. I was just mentioning this on another thread: the one about peeing the bed at night while asleep. I'm 48 years old and never peed the bed as a child but do so since getting ME/CFS. No doctor that I have seen over the last few years knows what to make of this, including a neurologist I see once a year for headache management. You would think the neurologist of all people would want to investigate this further, but so far, nothing.

Agreed, I don't think a chiropractor is the best solution here. The papers states that CNMS is (partly) diagnosed by magnetic resonance imaging(MR) or computed tomography (CT). (To see the full diagnostic criteria read the material and methods section, it seems I can't copy/paste it) The authors are probably neurologists given their affiliation with a neuro-center and neurological institute, so your best bet would be a neurologist.

MY neck was whiplashed two days before all the cfs/oi symptoms started. I feel like going to live in Japan for a couple of months to get fixed. Its probably too good to be true though (sigh).

Anne

charityfundraiser

OMG I think this is what I have. Thank you for finding and posting this!

The paper doesn't describe the treatments though.

I had a neck injury too and definitely feel muscle spasms in my neck. I've improved a lot after trying out different types of massages specifically for releasing muscle spasms. My tai chi teacher gave me a few minutes of Chinese massage on my neck a few times and I am seriously so much better. The type of massage and skill matters. Other generic types of massage did not work for me. I recently bought this book and have been trying it. It's been helping.

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief, Second Edition

You can read a lot of the book just using the Click to Look Inside preview.

Here are two sets of muscles with trigger points to massage that helped the most, but they pretty much all help a little. The book explains how to find them.

multifidipoints.gif

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/neckpain.htm

scalenepoints.gif

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/neuropat.htm

mellster

Marco
I haven't had a whiplash but my neck got finally messed after viral infection/activation even when I started feeling better and hasn't fully recovered yet. The symptoms are somewhat similar though, headaches increased mildly but the worst is the ache and muscle tightness of neck/cervical muscles. I have gotten some relief from massage and it improves other symptoms as well as soon as the neck stops hurting. While it used to hurt just from turning now I still get a good dose of pain when I lift something and therefore strain and stretch my neck muscles.