• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What kind of furniture that won't worsen allergies?

I don't want a normal cloth-covered couch or chairs, because of dust mites and difficulty cleaning. I heard leather was good, but it's not working out with my pets. I'm wondering about wicker or hardwood, with cushions that resist water, like you find in outdoor furniture. Would it be too hard and unpleasant? Are there any other options? I would try a futon if the cover could be water-resistant and not totally unappealing. A mattress/bed only has a hard siding or none.

Also, can you tell the difference being around pressboard furniture or real hardwood? I believe the pressboard can get dustmites and maybe mold problems, but hardwood resists. And I wonder if I need to avoid being around cardboard/paper or plastics, or if a HEPA air filter does enough?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Its a toughie buying new furniture when you have MCS plus other allergies. Think wicker or rattan would be difficult to clean, also anything with a water resistant covering means it has been treated chemically. Could you not consider leather and use throws for your pets to lie on, stick these in the wash regularly to keep dust mites down. I have cotton covered chairs with throws on,wash them every week, not ideal but it seems to be working. No good for pets though.
I have been looking at an organic natural latex mattress, but still can't bring myself to dive in and order it, can't send it back if I can't live with the smell, trying to make a decision been going on for 12 months.....Its hell isn't it?
Don't think its so much the type of wood rather the finish it has on, my (what is called pressed wood in the USA) chest of drawers had a painted finish and had to be in another room for 2 months before I could stomach it. An unpainted hard wood set may cause less problems.
Think the secret is to keep the room as dry as possible and keep your filter on, this should stop any mould from growing in the first place, much harder to get rid of than prevent it.

I have some pressboard furniture I can't get rid of. Too expensive to replace.

You're right, I need to watch for new paint or shellac :(

Can't they send you a small piece of the organic latex? I would see how you react with the sample right near your face for a whole day. Or buy the cheapest pillow or whatever is offered?

Valentijn

I have some pressboard furniture I can't get rid of. Too expensive to replace.

I'm pretty sure that I don't have MCS, although I am very sensitive to smells to the extent that they seem stronger and more obnoxious to me than to most other people.

You can get real wood furniture at Ikea for quite cheap, though it requires a little research and usually costs slightly more than the pressboard stuff. I haven't had problems with smells/outgassing from it. It's also stained instead of painted, varnished, or shellaced, which might help.

We've got the Hemnes line (gray-brown and black-brown options, but not white because that uses pressboard) for the living room and bedrooms, and some semi-matched wooden kitchen chairs, kitchen tables, and kitchen stool, all from Ikea.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
V - Ah yes you're right my white bedroom chests are Hemnes, which acounts for the terrible smell and the amount of time for it to go.
SoS - Good idea about asking for a sample of the mattress, I'll try but not everyone wants to be that helpful to customers I find:(