• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Further insight into why some people get worse neurologically on glutathione

Freddd

Not sure if this has been posted before, but it seems glutamate can be released from glutathione, not just in the digestive tract, but also when it's absorbed through other means by enzymes.

http://www.stemcelltherapies.org/ALS/glutamine-glutamate-glutathione.html

Something else to think about besides Fredd's glutathionylcobalamin theory of getting worse on glutathione.

hixxy.

Hi Hixxy,

I've been sharing this information on an ALS board similar to PR. Both are connected via low cerebral spinal fluid levels of cobalamin despite higher body serum levels. I'm honestly nor sure how much glutatmate toxicity can be generated by glutathione. I do know that most people react almost as badly to NAC as to glutathione so that is more often the limiting factor than l-glutatmine for making glutathione. However, when glutathione combines with mb12 to make glutathionylcobalamin, the free mb12 which is what appears to protect the neurons from various toxins including glutatmate toxicity appears to be entirely removed form the body regardless of whether somebody can recovert a few mcgs of glutathionylcobalamin back to mb12 or not. Also, when the glutathione/NAC causes the methylfolate to exit cells inflammation skyrockets.

Something else to think about besides Fredd's glutathionylcobalamin theory of getting worse on glutathione.

The damage that glutathione does to some people is indisputable and can be demonstrated. The only theory involved is about who and how and how many and how bad. Also to be considered is whether the "benefit" from glutathione that some people perceive is actually a benefit or a damaging of the nerves so that less is felt. I admit it can be dificult to tell the difference at first.

Adster

Freddd, any thoughts on why you don't have the same issues with Alpha Lipoic Acid, which also raises glutathione?

Freddd

Freddd, any thoughts on why you don't have the same issues with Alpha Lipoic Acid, which also raises glutathione?

Hi Adster,

I would suppose that Alpha Lipoic Acid doesn't raise the glutathione beyond the level needed and that is beneficial. Chances are it takes a number of steps as it does with Vit C and mb12 and others as well. The NAC/l-glutamine pain appears to combine without limit way beyond what the body needs. Since glutathione is a necessary thing some level is sufficient and some level is more than needed.

Hi Adster,

I would suppose that Alpha Lipoic Acid doesn't raise the glutathione beyond the level needed and that is beneficial. Chances are it takes a number of steps as it does with Vit C and mb12 and others as well. The NAC/l-glutamine pain appears to combine without limit way beyond what the body needs. Since glutathione is a necessary thing some level is sufficient and some level is more than needed.

Fredd, I mus have missed this - is the glutathione problem due to glutamate toxicity? If so, that's why I dont have to worry about it. Estrogen is proven by studies to protect against glutamate toxicity. Also it has proven true in my own self. But idk about alpha lipoid acid. I ave SEVERE reactions to it. The dose for diabetes is 600mg...I tried that and it caused about 6 low blood sugar attacks / day. I could not work and was beside myself!