• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can anyone shed some light on protein metabolism/food sensitivity issue?

chilove

Hello all,

I have a combination of both the C677T and A1298C mutations and have been doing Fredd's protocol for about a month now. I am up to 5000mg MB12 and 8000 to 12,000mg folate daily with Douglass labs b complex and the dibencozide once every three days and lots of potassium, some milk thistle and some adaptogenic herbs because I had adrenal failure about six weeks ago. I'm on BHRT (bio identical hormone therapy) for several hormones including cortisol and thyroid now even though I'm only 42.

The protocol is helping with my physical and mental energy but is kicking my butt with insomnia and there is also some increased mental fog in the evenings.

The one area it hasn't helped at all yet it is my inability to eat any sort of concentrated protein without having major allergic and inflammatory reactions throughout the body including some pretty severe ones.. (bad iritis.. swelling in eyes). I've had this problem for about 12 years. It severley limits my ability to eat normal, everyday food. I'm currently only able to eat raw fruits and some raw vegetables and greens.. anything else causes me lots of "fibromyalgia" like pain and mucus and the iritis and makes me VERY depressed and irritable.

I think part of the reason I got adrenal fatigue and my body stopped producing hormones is because I can't eat enough protein to support their production (in addition to other lifestyle factors.. working too much.. smoking...etc..)

I'm wondering if this extreme reaction to protein and severe food sensitivities is normal with my gene profile? Should I pay for more genetic testing to see if something else is causing this problem? Should it get better in time?

I've tried all sorts of digestive enzymes and probiotics and such with little to no improvement..

I'm quite weak and too thin and would love to be able to eat more variety. Any and all suggestions and theories welcome.

Thanks all!

Audrey

Well I havent made a study of this but I believe inability to digest protein is usually an HCL deficiency. Have you tried HCL pills? Search the internet for an HCL protocol so you dont burn your stomach. Low HCL can be caused by thyroid issues (although far as I know it is only HYPERthyroid that causes it) or insufficient zinc or B6 or inability to turn B6 into P5P and I think there are some other things...look at DiagnoseMe, search for what they have to say about hypochlorhydria. All I know is that I have it and as long as I take 1g/day olive leaf extract I am ok as far as dysbiosis type issues but it seems like anything I dont supplement I become deficient in indicating perhaps that I only absorb a certain percent of what I eat. Still with supplements it works ok. I guess it can also be due to auto-immune against the cells in the stomach that make HCL.

Rydra

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Audrey think you really need to work with a good nutritionist, but
perhaps you could try a rotation of protein sources - say a teaspoon of cooked minced lamb, then a couple of days later a spoonful of beef, try the HCL with it to enable digestion, rice and beans together make a complete protein but much better to work with a knowledgable someone than having to research it all yourself, we do need protein and its important you get some help with it. I understand completely where you're coming from, I have severe food sensitivities but lucky for me I was able to eat chicken and vegetables, I did for a while became totally afraid of food, not a nice place to be, I took it very slowly and got a great way forward but recently had a setback with an allergic reaction, its just to say really we can get through the bad bits, but take it slowly.

bertiedog

When one has very low adrenal function then one also has very low production of HCL. As your cortisol builds up you will find that your production of stomach acid will improve as long as your thyroid is ok because that could mess this up too.

If you have very weak adrenals then you probably need at least 20 mg equivalent of hydrocortisone in order that your body can start to recover and work more normally.

I have been through this myself over the last 10 years hence my being able to answer the question!

Good Luck with it all, its not an easy journey in my experience but one can feel a lot better once the hormones become more balanced but it does take a bit of time and I have never found it easy knowing exactly what dose of steroid my body needs on any particular day because it depends on how active I have been. Its great being able to eat more or less anything I want though (provided its low carb)!

Pam

chilove

Thanks guys! I just ran out and bought some HCL betain with pepsin. I'm very excited because when I looked up the symptoms of hypochlorhydria I have every one of them so I'm sure this is the problem or is contributing a great deal to the problem. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks so much!

Audrey

Freddd

Hello all,

I have a combination of both the C677T and A1298C mutations and have been doing Fredd's protocol for about a month now. I am up to 5000mg MB12 and 8000 to 12,000mg folate daily with Douglass labs b complex and the dibencozide once every three days and lots of potassium, some milk thistle and some adaptogenic herbs because I had adrenal failure about six weeks ago. I'm on BHRT (bio identical hormone therapy) for several hormones including cortisol and thyroid now even though I'm only 42.

The protocol is helping with my physical and mental energy but is kicking my butt with insomnia and there is also some increased mental fog in the evenings.

The one area it hasn't helped at all yet it is my inability to eat any sort of concentrated protein without having major allergic and inflammatory reactions throughout the body including some pretty severe ones.. (bad iritis.. swelling in eyes). I've had this problem for about 12 years. It severley limits my ability to eat normal, everyday food. I'm currently only able to eat raw fruits and some raw vegetables and greens.. anything else causes me lots of "fibromyalgia" like pain and mucus and the iritis and makes me VERY depressed and irritable.

I think part of the reason I got adrenal fatigue and my body stopped producing hormones is because I can't eat enough protein to support their production (in addition to other lifestyle factors.. working too much.. smoking...etc..)

I'm wondering if this extreme reaction to protein and severe food sensitivities is normal with my gene profile? Should I pay for more genetic testing to see if something else is causing this problem? Should it get better in time?

I've tried all sorts of digestive enzymes and probiotics and such with little to no improvement..

I'm quite weak and too thin and would love to be able to eat more variety. Any and all suggestions and theories welcome.

Thanks all!

Audrey

HI Audrey,

Have you tried l-cartnitine fumarate and adb12? Those could help. The problem you have is fairly common with b12. What it amounts to is a nutrient specific anorexia. As b12 is contained only in animal proteins this makes consumption difficult. Also the carnitine will be low. However these are the very things you may well need to heal. I found a lot of foods intolerable too for years.

chilove

Hi Fredd,

I am taking one adb12 every third day.

I did try the l-cartnitine fumarate for a couple of days last week and didn't notice anything so I quit taking them but I still have the bottle and can start taking them again to see if it helps.

I don't only have this problem with animal protein though.. I have it with all protein.. even vegetable sources.. I can't handle legumes or nuts or seeds or even some greens and green veggies because of their higher protein content. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks so much!

Audrey

Crux

Hi Audrey ;

Child, You've got alot goin' on! I'd rather it be just the good stuff.

You have Sarcoidosis and Adrenal failure. They're both treated with corticosteroids. If the test for serum cortisol turned out really low, maybe more is needed, at least for now. It does help with protein digestion, and inflammation of course. Nowadays, Endocrinologists are recommending 15-30 mgs. daily of hydrocortisone to people with Addison's disease.

Cortisol does break down proteins, so if enough is not provided in the diet, it will break them down in the body. But we all must begin somewhere, especially when we are very weak. Cortisol also helps increase appetite.

Mb12 will help with appetite and the use of proteins, but for me, it took some months to achieve this.

The one thing about Cortisol, Mb12, and Folate is that they all increase the need for potassium. So the insomnia could still be a problem. I take potassium throughout the day, and especially at bedtime. It's the best substance I've found for insomnia. Most people will need less than what I've been taking at bedtime, but for the record here, I dissolve 750-1000 mgs. of potassium gluconate powder in a glass of water and drink it at bedtime.

chilove

Bless you Crux and Fredd and everyone else here! Your responses give me so much hope. Yes, I do have so much to deal with now health wise... did you know I also have EMF sensitivity? LOL.. (but that is getting better day by day thank goodness) But I am both hopeful and determined to make a full recoveyr and actually feel better than I ever have before. Some of the symptoms of the Sarcoidosis have vastly improved after just a month on Fredd's protocol. My physical strength and energy have also improved. I also seem to be much less susceptible to "adrenal crashes" as long as I'm managing my potassium and electrolytes well which I've pretty much figured out now. I need LOTS of potassium.. you are right.. I'm currently taking between 2000-3000 mg per day.. magnesium soaks and baths also help a great deal.

Crux, I experimented with upping my hydrocort dose from 10mg that my MD had me on (she's knows I'm always very conservative and we wanted to start on a low dose) to 20 mg yesterday and today and it seems to helping my energy and mental clarity a lot... YAY! It's too soon to tell if it will help with protein digestion yet, but that would be awesome! I'm still figuring out how much extra I need on days when I'm particularly stressed physically or mentally. I know I'd feel better if I could nail that piece down.

Any idea how long I'll need to be on the hydrocort? I'm very eager to get off of it and the thyroid ASAP.... I don't mind being on the sex hormones as the case could be made that at age 42 I'd be looking at peri menopause soon anyway but I really hate being on all this stuff.. I've never been one to want to take anything... I'm having to get over that now since the adrenal failure.. Sometimes it feels like I do nothing but take meds and supplements all day.. LOL..

Crux

Hi Audrey;

I too would love to know the answer to the question, How long must I endure this regimen?...Especially the cortisol. While I'm prepared to take it for life,because I may need it for life, I am now able to reduce the dosage. I'll continue to slowly reduce as symptoms lessen. Maybe this process could work for you as well. Firstly though, my guess is that your M.D. would like to see you put some good weight on to fill in the skin. (There was a time that my skin hanged about me like a shroud when I was in a prolonged crisis.)

When I was so ill about 7 yrs. ago, I began using bio-identical progesterone cream. I realized that I was making cortisol from it, but I was having to use huge amounts to bring cortisol to a normal range. Although it worked in that way, it was expensive and my progesterone was triple the measure for my age. But it could be useful for sex hormone balance and cortisol production, possibly.

Even Addisonians have a hard time figuring what they need for mild to moderate stress dosing. Of course, it's no holds barred for an emergent crisis, but for other situations, I've read, and treated myself to amounts between 2.5-10 mgs. extra daily. Sometimes, even positive stressors, like social gatherings with good people can have a cortisol price.

chilove

Thanks Crux.. thats helps a lot!

BTW... I tried the betaine HCL and it hurt my stomach but someone recommended herbal bitters to help increase HCL and I've been taking the Floradix brand for a couple of days and it didn't hurt my stomach at all and I do think it is helping my digestion over all although I haven't tested it on any concentrated protein sources yet.

greenshots

My doctor told me about a simple enough home test for stomach acid by using baking soda. You take 1/2 tspn baking soda in a full glass of water in the morning before breakfast and if you burp within a couple of minutes, you have too much acid but if no burping, probably low stomach acid which can account for your problems. Be careful with the HCl since you can give yourself an ulcer if you aren't careful with it. There's also other methylation defects that can cause protein problems. But poor acid sure can do a number on you and food that isn't broken down the right way can build up to toxic fatty acids that damage the mitochondria and all sorts of other trouble.

If that doesn't work out & you have several other defects together like the MTHFR A1298C, BHMT, CBS, and NOS you might not tolerate protein since it breaks down into ammonia and the urea cycle (NOS) can't clean it up so all this toxic ammonia builds up and produces free radicals like super oxide and I think perox nitrate is the other one. Anyway, both of them are free radicals that "go around beating up other cells and steal their positive energy, leaving them for dead or dying and causing even more toxic waste." The last part is how my doctor explains it so its always stuck with me since I can picture that more in my head.

I hope its simple and turns out to be the acid problem since you can fix that much easier!
Angela