• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bladder Spasms

Carrigon

Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, dying tonight with bladder spasms. Anyone else get this? Feels like a bladder infection, but it's more like it's just both the bladder and the colon are just spasming away. I drank two glasses of caffeinated iced tea yesterday and I've been dying ever since. The caffeine triggers it badly in me and I forgot. Totally gonna die. And I can't take my muscle relaxant tonight cause I'm getting company. I took my butalbital, but it's barely doing anything. So, OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Carrigon

It wasn't just the caffeine. I found out that the chocolate, Russel Stover chocolate, I was eating had sorbitol in it. That right there causes IBS and will kill your stomach in a thousand ways. They've started to put the sorbitol into regular non diet chocolate.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
It wasn't just the caffeine. I found out that the chocolate, Russel Stover chocolate, I was eating had sorbitol in it. That right there causes IBS and will kill your stomach in a thousand ways. They've started to put the sorbitol into regular non diet chocolate.

Thanks for posting the warning. I don't know whether sorbitol bothers me or not but it's very odd to hear that a non-diet chocolate, one not labelled as sugar free, would contain sorbitol.

Carrigon

There are others that have it, too. I was trying to buy regular chocolate covered caramels, both major brands at the store had sorbitol right in the ingredients and they are non diet candies. You really have to read all labels before buying anything today. Chances are, most things have something that will set us all off with problems. Even the fake crab you can buy, they all contain sorbitol. So if you ever have stomach problems after eating a seafood salad, it's the sorbitol.

There are others that have it, too. I was trying to buy regular chocolate covered caramels, both major brands at the store had sorbitol right in the ingredients and they are non diet candies.

Caramel is almost guaranteed to have fake sugars, fake flavoring, and/or corn syrup/HFCS/etc. Making the real stuff is too costly.

Calathea

Do you have interstitial cystitis, by any chance? It's commonly comorbid with ME, and of course it's a bugger to diagnose.

Hope you're feeling better, anyway.

hurtingallthetimet

hope you are feeling better...bladder/urinary problems are horrible to deal with on top of everything esle...if you havent and your not feeling better you probable should see a doctor for antibitotic espically with weekend coming up or if you can find doctor open on weekend..

cranberry juice does help me alot...and the overcounter uti medicaitons help some too
take care

Carrigon

What calmed it down was finally taking a muscle relaxant. I just can't have caffeine or sorbitol or anything that can trigger it. This is why I end up cooking at home. When I cook at home, I rarely get sick from it. But as soon as I start eating out, I get problems.