• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mella & Fluge will launch major national ME study (update)

Ember

ME breakthrough
Will launch a major national study, ME

http://translate.google.com/transla...for-aa-ta-seg-av-sin-syke-datter-3696918.html

The Bergen-based doctors behind the Norwegian ME breakthrough is now working to launch a larger study involving many more patients. If the financing in order, such a study be a step towards a treatment for ME.

In October, let TV 2 on the Norwegian breakthrough that may solve the riddle ME . The two cancer doctors, Professor Olav Mella and Dr. ystein Fluge at Haukeland University Hospital in Bergen, has accidentally discovered a possible treatment for ME, also known as chronic fatigue syndrome.

SEE ALSO: Elene (26) were cured of ME

Now the doctors want to launch a major, so-called multi-center study, the number of university clinics in Norway. Such a study will be a step towards a treatment for ME.

- If there is a study that is positive and shows a clear effect and are not experiencing severe, unexpected side effects, so we begin to approach an approved treatment. It will benefit many patients, says Dr. ystein Fluge to tv2.no.

Strong interest from communities

After the study, the doctors became known, several research groups in Norway have been in contact with the doctors.

- Several of the university clinics have now taken an academic initiative to launch a national multi-center study on the effect of Rituximab to the ME, professor Fluge to tv2.no.

Such a study will be based on the earlier study (read the main points from the ME-study to the right of the article) as well as a maintenance study still in progress at Haukeland. Doctors believe that the study can be started over the summer.

ALSO READ: All About ME-breakthrough

- We want to spend time on this in order to draw lessons from the maintenance study, which is now said Fluge.

The results from this study are not public yet, but we see some things what number of infusions and response pattern applies. We wish to draw on when we create designs for the new study.

Need financing

Currently, such a study at the planning level. The initiative is there, but it may become a reality is doctors rely on funding.

- Should this study be part of, we are totally dependent on what is external financing. If we are to rely on funding from the usual channels, such as RCN, so it may take years before we get to anything, say professor of Mella tv2.no.

SEE ALSO: Kavli Fund provides money for ME research

Where the funding will come from is not yet clear, but doctors are hoping for help from the state.

- We will certainly try to enter into dialogue with government authorities on external financing, says Mella.

TV 2 has previously written about the Health Minister Anne-Grete Strm-Erichsen, who promised to follow ME-breakthrough .

Strict requirements to be included in the study

Influx from the ME patients have been tremendous and overwhelming for the Fluge and Mella.

- I have received hundreds of emails and people calling directly on my cell phone, said Fluge.

- Now that you are working with to launch a new study, many will wonder how they can make. What can you say about who should be included?

- If we have a study in which we are sure to get the result we must be very clear about the criteria. They must be crystal clear, says Mella.

SEE ALSO: ME sufferers "Nancy" was not believed - was admitted to a psychiatric

This is particularly important as it will be different doctors at different centers to take care of patients. Fluge Mella and therefore want to use the so-called Canadian criteria .

- We will go for the strict criteria. It shall be the greatest possible chance that the patients included really have ME and general exhaustion, said Fluge.

He also points out that all will benefit from a careful selection process.

- If it then would be a study that is positive and shows a clear effect and are not experiencing severe, unexpected side effects, so we begin to approach that this may be an approved treatment. It will benefit many patients, says the Fluge tv2.no.

currer

I think that Fluge and Mella might well have some news about this study to report at the Invest in ME conference on June Ist this year. They are down as attending again this year.

I am going so I look forward to it.

sensing progress

I think that Fluge and Mella might well have some news about this study to report at the Invest in ME conference on June Ist this year. They are down as attending again this year.

I am going so I look forward to it.

Hopefully you can report back on what is discussed! Although last year I think those attending where asked to remain silent on the preliminary Rituximab results until the paper was published.

Tia

I read that on the first of June, Mella and Fluge were done with their test-science...thing and that it was successfull: http://me-foreningen.se/dok/120507-rituximab-botemedel-pa-vag.htm

"The data that has leaked, shows that 2/3 of the patients has significantly improved, which has to be seen as a great success. A third of the patients though, did not improve after 12 months, which makes them want to try etanercept, which is an inhibitor of TNF-a, (tumour, nekrosis, factor alfa) and is involved in arthritis".

This article was taken from the swedish ME-organisation.