• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypersentive to supplements

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Following an allergic reaction several weeks ago my hypersensitivities have been turned up to maximum, in particular to histamine. I am barely tolerating a very minimal diet,veg, potatoes, tried a little slice of lamb last night, need to supplement it with a multivitamin/mineral. I've got the majority in single forms but have not the wherewithal to take them singly. Anyone with the same problem found one they can tolerate? I know its a very individual thing but I'm willing to try a couple at least, be grateful for any suggestions.

I have a similar problem and started a thread on it in the gut-section weeks ago. I think it could be because of a leaky gut. Do you have gut problems?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Hi bedman - I don't know whether I have leaky gut or not. I was doing okay (well in fact better than okay in tolerating different things) actually the best I'd been in 4 years, but after finishing Xifaxan I developed an allergic reaction to melon and its been downhill since then. Back to feeling faint and wanting to sleep after eating, dizziness and vertigo increased, on a diet of steamed vegetables not a lot of energy either. So just thinking as I try to build up my tolerance level a multi vitamin/mineral might henefit me. I'll have a look at your thread see if any responses may help me, thanks.

i also got hypersensitive after trying supplements and (like you) an antibiotic. unfortunately i also still havent found the ideal therapy to get rid of it, but im trying a diet against leaky gut.

Waverunner

I haven't found a solution either but what I can say for sure is that there are some supplements and medications that started this mess for me (for me it was starting the methylation protocol with normal folic acid). Antihistamines help every now and then but I have found no way to reverse it. Maybe metafolin is a possibility when normal folic acid cannot be converted correctly and is cause of all these problems.

EDIT: What I can say for sure is that leaky gut is not the direct cause when suffering from these hypersensitivities. The hypersensitivities start much too early. The food hasn't even reached the intestine. Maybe leaky gut ramps up the immune system but the direct symptoms are caused by something else.

I would be much more interested in the Blood-Brain-Barrier and its integrity.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks waverunner for your thoughts, I'm even too scared to take antihistamines, its bizarre beyond belief really that we have to struggle through these things ourselves. I was really bad this way some time ago and did improve by diet really and small amounts of supplements, it feels worse being back when you feel you've made such gains.
So I'm guessing now its just a question of taking it slowly and working back up to tolerating more.....agan:(

Waverunner

Maryb, at least we are not alone even with these sensitivities. Please let us know if your sensitivities improve and what supplements you took.

xrunner

Hi bedman - I don't know whether I have leaky gut or not. I was doing okay (well in fact better than okay in tolerating different things) actually the best I'd been in 4 years, but after finishing Xifaxan I developed an allergic reaction to melon and its been downhill since then. Back to feeling faint and wanting to sleep after eating, dizziness and vertigo increased, on a diet of steamed vegetables not a lot of energy either. So just thinking as I try to build up my tolerance level a multi vitamin/mineral might henefit me. I'll have a look at your thread see if any responses may help me, thanks.

About Xifaxan, if it is metabolised like rifampin (seems to belong to the same family) it's a strong inducers of phase 1 liver enzymes. When these work to faster than normal whilst phase 2 remains relatively slow, then intermediate toxic products can build up.
I'd stay away from multivitamins and minerals except for those that can slow down phase 1 and induce phase 2 detox. The methylation protocol may be helpful.
I'd try a rotation diet where the same food group is avoided for the following three days, if you can.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks xrunner, I'll look into liver enzymes, and how I can try to sort it out, don't really understand the science though. You're right it makes sense to do a food rotation, which is in a way what I'm trying to do but when you have to prepare everything fresh, what a bind to do it for every meal, I made some butter bean soup and had it with brown rice yesterday, but then again today:( Its so hard that rotation thing when you feel so ill, and the list of things I can eat is so small too. moan moan.........

taniaaust1

Thanks waverunner for your thoughts, I'm even too scared to take antihistamines, its bizarre beyond belief really that we have to struggle through these things ourselves.

I got side effects from magnesium tablets till I switched to a brand which advertises their magnesium as organic.

Many of us with ME are successfully using certain antihistamines to help sleep. They can be quite useful.

As far as multi vitamins go.. I find they arent my bodies cup of tea. Most of them I need in higher quantities then the multi vitamin is providing hence I need to individually provide, while some contain things my body is already high in and hence would be doing more harm then good to be taking eg Im extremely high in copper on hair analyses testing