• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Secret home remedy" to angular cheilitis??

Has anyone paid out the bucks to discover what this magic cure is that is touted a few different internet sites? I have cracking of the corners of my mouth and itchy inflammation around my lips. I've tried over the counter 1% clotrimazole cream but so far no luck. Now I have a dental cleaning tomorrow and it's going to kill me to open my mouth so wide!

I also have itchy redness around my nasal lobes and corners of my eyes and under my eyes. This has been kept mostly under control by a diluted vinegar wash twice a day. Last year my dermatologist suggested it was an allergy (my whole eyelids and down my face was a bumpy red rash) and she gave me Topicort which cleared it right up. However, I can't use that long term, as it's a strong hydrocortisone.

Now I'm going gluten-free to see if that helps. I have an anti-gliaden antibody though my biopsy turned up nothing.

Thanks for any help or advice. I just really don't feel like going back to the dermatologist again...

Freddd

Has anyone paid out the bucks to discover what this magic cure is that is touted a few different internet sites? I have cracking of the corners of my mouth and itchy inflammation around my lips. I've tried over the counter 1% clotrimazole cream but so far no luck. Now I have a dental cleaning tomorrow and it's going to kill me to open my mouth so wide!

I also have itchy redness around my nasal lobes and corners of my eyes and under my eyes. This has been kept mostly under control by a diluted vinegar wash twice a day. Last year my dermatologist suggested it was an allergy (my whole eyelids and down my face was a bumpy red rash) and she gave me Topicort which cleared it right up. However, I can't use that long term, as it's a strong hydrocortisone.

Now I'm going gluten-free to see if that helps. I have an anti-gliaden antibody though my biopsy turned up nothing.

Thanks for any help or advice. I just really don't feel like going back to the dermatologist again...

HI Jessrose,

I don't know what you have or need. I used to have angular cheilitis all my lfe and have finally ;learned how to bring it under conrol. It is 99% gone now and still healing. SO if you go over to the basics http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?11522-Active-B12-Protocol-Basics and look at the symptoms list at the bottom of the thread, and list ALL the symptoms you have on that list and in a separate group all the ones you have that are not on that lst, we can make a start and possibly tell you what you need to heal that. If it like mine it could be starting to heal in a week.

Hi,

I haven't paid for the 'secret home remedy', but I have seen the sites. My gut feeling is that it's a con.

I have had angular cheilitis a few times in the last year. After doing some research, I found that one of the problems is that it is constantly moist. So I tried wiping it with alcohol wipes, and then slathering on a thick blob of lanolin cream. This stops the moisture getting into the wound, and helps it to heal. I have also used Elizabeth Arden eight hour cream (which I suspect has a fair bit of lanolin in it), but don't go and buy it specially for this as it is too expensive. I suspect that petroleum jelly might work as well.

That has usually cleared it up in a few days, and made it much better over-night. My case wasn't really bad though.

Hope you have some luck treating it, I know it can be really painfull.

take care, ness

Freddd

Hi,

I haven't paid for the 'secret home remedy', but I have seen the sites. My gut feeling is that it's a con.

I have had angular cheilitis a few times in the last year. After doing some research, I found that one of the problems is that it is constantly moist. So I tried wiping it with alcohol wipes, and then slathering on a thick blob of lanolin cream. This stops the moisture getting into the wound, and helps it to heal. I have also used Elizabeth Arden eight hour cream (which I suspect has a fair bit of lanolin in it), but don't go and buy it specially for this as it is too expensive. I suspect that petroleum jelly might work as well.

That has usually cleared it up in a few days, and made it much better over-night. My case wasn't really bad though.

take care, ness

Hi Sickness,

You mean somebody is pushing a litereal secret that they are selling? LOL It's a vitamin deficiency and clears up on the active b12 protocol. It xan be mb12, mmethylfolate or B2 and maybe another vitamin or two, but since we take them all on the active mb12 protocol it matters little. If it remains it would lead to a suggestion of probablle folate deficiency. I wasn't trying to be mysterious above, just specific to see if I though it was mb12/methylfolate or b2.

HI Jessrose,

I don't know what you have or need. I used to have angular cheilitis all my lfe and have finally ;learned how to bring it under conrol. It is 99% gone now and still healing. SO if you go over to the basics http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?11522-Active-B12-Protocol-Basics and look at the symptoms list at the bootm of the thread, and list ALL the symptoms you have on that list and in a separate4 group all the ones you have that are not on that lst, we can make a start and possibly tell you what you need to heal that. If it like mine it could be starting to heal in a week.

OK, here goes:

dry mouth
I'm thirsty a lot, and get dehydrated quickly
lack of muscle recovery after exercise
extremely sore neck muscles reversing normal curvature of neck (?? I walk sort of slumped over and neck muscles are tight and get sore like I have meningitis)
exercise deblitates for up to a week, making things much worse
muscle pain especially around attachment points to bones
frequent muscle spasms anywhere in body (my eyelids and upper lip twitch when I've overdone it, sometimes my thigh or butt muscle will quiver uncontrollably)
Bursitis
Joint pain (acupuncture once a month has mostly resolved this, except on my worst days)
Pain in weight bearing joints
morning joint stiffness (mostly just after a bad M.E. day)

sick stomach
nausea (not constant, but during flare-ups or when I my body is letting me know to go rest)
bloating
flatulence (embarrassing amounts. one of my biggest issues)
irritable bowel syndrome
intermittent constipation
intermittant diarrhea
Gluten sensitivity

paleness
shortness of breath
heart palpitations (not so much since the pacer)
My heart rate was so low upon standing (failed the tilt table test miserably) I had to have a pacemaker installed 10 years ago at age 24
Widespread pain throughout body (only on my worst days)
Hypothyroid (TSH 5.13 must do full thyroid panel this week)

dizziness (I'm known to take corners too short and bang my hip or shoulder)
vertigo

Difficulty in word finding
poor concentration, especially when standing up or in a noisy, bright place like a store
mentally fuzzy, foggy, brainfog

Hypersensitivity to touch
Hypersensitivity to odors
Hypersensitivity to sounds and noises
Hypersensitivity to light and visual stimuli

mild to extremely severe fatigue
continuous extremely severe fatigue
easy fatiguability
severe abnormal muscle fatigue up to and including apparent paralysis leading to death
weakness

sleep disorders
non restorative sleep
Prolonged hypnogogic state transitioning to sleep

alteration of touch all over body, normal touch can be unpleasant and painful (vulvodynia)
blurring of vision
hypersensitivity/intolerance to bright light
tinnitus - ringing in ears
low body temperature (usually about 97.6)
intolerance to loud sounds
intolerance to multiple sounds

paresthesias anywhere in body - tingling, pins and needles, etc (my back, it's directly related to the gas in my intestines)
paresthesias in both legs - burning
sudden electric like shocks/pains shooting down arms, body, legs shooting down from neck movement
clumsiness
easy bruising
MCV > 93 first warning (93.1)
RDW CV 11.7 (low)
MCH 31.4
headaches
asthma
Seborrheic dermatitis
dandruff
dermatitis (perioral)
splits/sores at corners of mouth -angular cheilitis
hyperhidrosis (if temps reach over 72 deg fahrenheit I sweat like a man, or if I'm feeling viral I'll get cold sweats)

continuous swollen glands in neck (very tender to the touch)
low grade fever for years
I have a lot of the tender fibro points, not sure if I have all 18
CFS
ME
IBS

Symptoms not listed:
burning eye pain and ache so bad I want to gouge them out
burning lips and nose, turn pink from the heat
numbness, paralyzed feeling on my cheeks and face
aching gums where my wisdom teeth were pulled seven years ago, throb every night but x-rays show nothing wrong
aching face, like I've been slapped or hit with a baseball bat
burning lungs
deep cough only when I've pushed the envelope
Reynaud's phenomenon
sore throat
plantars warts that won't go away after three years
swollen brain feeling
declined fine motor skills
burning needle pain on tips of my ears
feeling like my organs are failing (I call it organ failure syndrome, or I feel like I'm dying syndrome)
extremely sensitive head/scalp (my hair hurts my head sometimes and I want to shave it off)
sharp pains in my head and behind my ear

Thanks for the help!
Jessica

Hi,

take care, ness

Thanks, ness. I think it's a con, too! The lady claimed to have done all kinds of research and found a remedy using "two ingredients commonly found in your kitchen or bathroom." That just irritated me.

Freddd

OK, here goes:

dry mouth
extremely sore neck muscles reversing normal curvature of neck (?? I walk sort of slumped over and neck muscles are tight and get sore like I have meningitis)
frequent muscle spasms anywhere in body (my eyelids and upper lip twitch when I've overdone it, sometimes my thigh or butt muscle will quiver uncontrollably)
Bursitis
Joint pain (acupuncture once a month has mostly resolved this, except on my worst days)

sick stomach
nausea (not constant, but during flare-ups or when I my body is letting me know to go rest)
bloating
irritable bowel syndrome
intermittant diarrhea
Gluten sensitivity

paleness
shortness of breath
My heart rate was so low upon standing (failed the tilt table test miserably) I had to have a pacemaker installed 10 years ago at age 24

vertigo

poor concentration, especially when standing up or in a noisy, bright place like a store

easy fatiguability
severe abnormal muscle fatigue up to and including apparent paralysis leading to death
weakness

sleep disorders
non restorative sleep

alteration of touch all over body, normal touch can be unpleasant and painful (vulvodynia)
blurring of vision

paresthesias anywhere in body - tingling, pins and needles, etc (my back, it's directly related to the gas in my intestines)
sudden electric like shocks/pains shooting down arms, body, legs shooting down from neck movement
clumsiness
easy bruising
RDW CV 11.7 (low)
MCH 31.4
headaches
asthma
Seborrheic dermatitis
dandruff
dermatitis (perioral)
hyperhidrosis (if temps reach over 72 deg fahrenheit I sweat like a man, or if I'm feeling viral I'll get cold sweats)

CFS
ME
IBS

Symptoms not listed:
aching gums where my wisdom teeth were pulled seven years ago, throb every night but x-rays show nothing wrong
burning lungs
Reynaud's phenomenon
sore throat
swollen brain feeling
feeling like my organs are failing (I call it organ failure syndrome, or I feel like I'm dying syndrome)
extremely sensitive head/scalp (my hair hurts my head sometimes and I want to shave it off)

Thanks for the help!
Jessica

Hi Jessica,

That looks so much like my list. You have a cough listed that there that is on the list a s an asthma type cough, probably covers that. The good news is I no longer have most of these things and haven't for years and am healed of CSF/FMS/ME but still have some damage. So I think you have some other things going on which will be unaffected. I'll discuss this more tomorrow.

Thanks, ness. I think it's a con, too! The lady claimed to have done all kinds of research and found a remedy using "two ingredients commonly found in your kitchen or bathroom." That just irritated me.

Yes, it annoyed me too! If someone really wanted to help people they wouldn't charge money for it. I wouldn't give them my money, just on principle.

take care, ness

rydra_wong

I do not know if what works for me will work for you, but the ONLY time I ever got angular chielitis was when I ran out of Vitamin E. I take 1 g/day and have done so all my life. (You have to decide if that dose is right for you and what form - now they are saying you need gamma as well as d-alpha to avoid prostate cancer...etc). I have all my life taken a good stiff dose of B...since 12 years old or so inactive B100 and recently Thorne Basic B 2x/day and this has always been enough to avoid getting angular chielitis (ALL BY ITSELF - w/o ANY extra folate, ANY extra B12, ANY extra TMG or P5P). Now that is me and I am not your average person. But all the same, worth thinking about. Not really mega anything.

Rydra

As for the red rash stuff, Besides the B, E I would make sure to get enough omega-3. This is just off the cuff but I looked into psoriasis for someone and found that enough omega-3 (7-9g/day) would heal psoriasis not just put it in remission. So I'd try that.

rydra_wong

OK, here goes:

dry mouth
Bursitis

sick stomach
bloating
irritable bowel syndrome
intermittant diarrhea
Gluten sensitivity

paleness
shortness of breath

vertigo

easy fatiguability
weakness

sleep disorders
non restorative sleep

blurring of vision

clumsiness
easy bruising
RDW CV 11.7 (low)
MCH 31.4
headaches
asthma
Seborrheic dermatitis
dandruff
dermatitis (perioral)

CFS
ME
IBS

Symptoms not listed:
burning lungs
Reynaud's phenomenon
sore throat
swollen brain feeling

Thanks for the help!
Jessica

Jessica, these are mostly methyl cycle problem symptoms that Freddd is going to address,
I only want to put in an oar about 1 set of symptoms -- you have listed a lot of "burning" symptoms.
In MY experience, burning symptoms are caused by insufficient antioxidants to combat your level of
oxidative stress (disappear for me when I take antioxidants).

Now aren't you the person with the pacemaker? Probably on all sorts of drugs for heart problems?
Antioxidants are typically blood thinners and may even be anti-coagulants. So...you would need your
doctor in the loop. I wouldn't do anything w/o my doctor. If you need a good heart doctor I can
recommend Dr. Roberts www.heartfixer.com. (Although I have no pacemaker and am on no drugs,
he is someone who might be able to work with drugs and supplements).

Victronix

Congratulations on your recovery.

>>it gives you simple instructions, the items you use really are common household items

Care to share that?

I recently got an illness of some kind and have been under severe stress with work/travel/etc and now have a terrible canker sore that's gone on for a week solid and my lips are sore. Does anyone know canker sore remedies? I also recently started on a gluten-free diet, which has been great, but then this happened, and its very painful.

Crux

Hi Victronix;
I keep having to increase MB12 and M folate to knock back my canker sores. They are one of some of my symptoms that is hard to completely stop. I'm topped out on the other B's, such as B2, B6, and B3, that are also supposed to help.

My father's cankers were found to be autoimmune caused, and he would do a short course of prednisone. (I think now he may have been helped with high dose MB12 and M folate.)

( I'm up to 16mgs MB12, and 3mgs methylfolate now....hope it's enough.)

Victronix

Thanks, I've been wondering if there could be a folate role because switching to a gluten-free diet would likely decrease the amount of folate my body used to get from all the wheat products. I take a lot of Mb12 (10 mg/day) and 2 B-Rights per day, but maybe I need to be increasing the b-complex or adding folate. Jarrow now has some of the active kind and then also folate in its B-right.

I've had a ridiculous amount of illness lately and swapping in ENZY for half of all the Solgar B-12 I was taking was a big help so far. More work to do though, obviously. I've also had a ridiculous amount of stress this year -- job loss, unemployment, almost getting a job, then having that delayed by months, then the big day . . . on and on. I traveled to Chicago for a conference and threw up the night before my poster presentation, was up half the night with who knows what. Its been hell this year, thanks to Jarrow tanking and everything going haywire trying to recover from that.

Crux

Hi Victronix;
That's enough stress to take down anybody! Many people have had great results from adding extra Mfolate. They've healed angular cheilitis, cankers, bleeding gums and lips. I've had these too, it can really kill the appetite.

Even though I haven't been tested for the MTHFR enzyme deficiency, I've been having bad stuff happen when I cheat and have fortified foods. I believe folic acid is the offender.

I agree about the jarrow problem, I'm still picking up the pieces, although I think I needed more MB12 than I was taking in the past.

With taking extra Mfolate and MB12, I have been getting sick alot less, so there's hope in this.