• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could an Infection Cause Tourette's-Like Symptoms in Teenage Girls?

Bob

Could an Infection Cause Tourette's-Like Symptoms in Teenage Girls?
http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-cause-tourettes-like-symptoms-teenage-girls

There are many similarities to CFS/ME that are discussed in this article. Starting with an unexplained outbreak of an unknown disease.

The psychologists have called it "mass hysteria", of course, which is a quick way to silence and disenfranchise patietns, as we all know only too well. They also refer to "stress" and "trauma" as likely causes, which we hear about a lot in relation to CFS.

Then the article talks about "toxins", "infections by bacteria, viruses or parasites", a "neuropsychiatric disorder", "mycoplasma", "Lyme disease", the "bloodbrain barrier", an "autoimmune issue", "streptococcal infection" etc. etc. etc.

It's a very similar situation to an ME outbreak.

I wonder if they do a full investigation into this outbreak, if it gets enough publicity, it will have any consequences for CFS. But no doubt there will be a continued orchestrated cover-up.

Bob

If we ignore the "mental illness" term, and replace it with "neurological disease", I wonder if the following passage could have any relation to CFS?:

How can an infection cause a mental illness?
It's an autoimmune issue. Mady Hornig at Columbia University has a mouse model that shows how it works. They give strep to mice, then give them another agent that breaks down the bloodbrain barrier, and that induces a neuropsychiatric syndrome: the mice have trouble running mazes, and so on. Then they purify the antibodies from those mice, inject them in another mouse that never had strep, and that mouse gets the neuropsychiatric symptoms, too. That shows it's the antibodies doing the damage

http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-cause-tourettes-like-symptoms-teenage-girls

Bob

If we ignore the "mental illness" term, and replace it with "neurological disease", I wonder if the following passage could have any relation to CFS?:

I have email corresponded with Dr. Hornig and she is researching the relationship between PANDAS (now apparently PANS) and ME/CFS. My children became ill around the same time with MONO roughly ten years ago and neither have ever been the same. My son has been diagnosed with PANDAS and my daughter with CFS and interstitial cystitis. I have always KNOWN they have different manifestations of the same underlying disorder. FYI Bob, Dr. Hornig is on the CFS Initiitive with Dr. Ian Lipkin. I believe they are going to "crack the code" one of these days!

Bob

I have email corresponded with Dr. Hornig and she is researching the relationship between PANDAS (now apparently PANS) and ME/CFS. My children became ill around the same time with MONO roughly ten years ago and neither have ever been the same. My son has been diagnosed with PANDAS and my daughter with CFS and interstitial cystitis. I have always KNOWN they have different manifestations of the same underlying disorder. FYI Bob, Dr. Hornig is on the CFS Initiitive with Dr. Ian Lipkin. I believe they are going to "crack the code" one of these days!

Thanks for the info warriormom. I haven't heard of Dr Hornig before, so I wasn't aware that she is involved with the Lipkin study. I haven't heard of PANDAS or PANS before now either. It's very interesting.

PS: the correct term, IMHO, is neuroimmune disease.

I recently heard the term "neuro-endocrine-immune" disorder (NEID), which I thought was quite a helpful descriptive name.

I hadn't heard it before, but I don't think it can a new name, because I just did a goodle search, and PANDORA use it on their website:
http://www.pandoranet.info/

Thanks for the info warriormom. I haven't heard of Dr Hornig before, so I wasn't aware that she is involved with the Lipkin study. I haven't heard of PANDAS or PANS before now either. It's very interesting.

It is really identical to Rheumatic Fever, except that the autoimmune target is the brain rather than the heart valves. Interestingly, Dr. Lerner diagnosed my daughter with Rheumatic Fever this past summer. I believe, at least in her case, that her CFS is at it's basis, an autoimmune disorder.

I recently heard the term "neuro-endocrine-immune" disorder (NEID), which I thought was quite a helpful descriptive name.

I hadn't heard it before, but I don't think it can a new name, because I just did a goodle search, and PANDORA use it on their website:
http://www.pandoranet.info/

Thanks for the link. Myalgic Encephalomyelitis by definition is a neuroimmune and/or neuro-endocrine-immune disorder, no?

It is really identical to Rheumatic Fever, except that the autoimmune target is the brain rather than the heart valves. Interestingly, Dr. Lerner diagnosed my daughter with Rheumatic Fever this past summer. I believe, at least in her case, that her CFS is at it's basis, an autoimmune disorder.

currer

Autoimmune target - hmm,
Drs Fluge and Mella in the rituximab talk at the Invest in ME conference, said that they thought ME an autoimmune disease but - the target of the auto-antibodies must be a small tissue, as we do not become obviously damaged by the autoimmune process - if you think of the widespread damage to body tissues caused by the autoimmune process in rheumatoid arthritis -(the joints and tendons) or lupus ( soft/connective tissue damage) you can see the differerence.

They think the autoimmune target is a small neurological tissue in the spinal cord, which is causing all the sensory disruption we experience.

currer

Lots of unusual "autoimmune" disease about these days in previously healthy young people.

Something must be triggering it.

Advocate

Another shocking possibile explanation - fracking fluid!

School and government officials are treating those sick kids the way people with CFS or ME are treated. No need to investigate further, they say, because they "know" it's hysteria.

I read for the first time today (CNN transcript) that there are six natural gas wells on the school premises. Some reports say the wells were drilled using hydraulic hydrofracking techniques. The EPA has evidence that this technique--fracking--sometimes releases dangerous toxins into nearby wells and into the water table.

Here's part of a CNN transcript where this is discussed:

JIM SPELLMAN, HLN CORRESPONDENT: Well, Dr. Drew, we have had some really troubling information here about the school, Le Roy Middle, Senior High School. There are six natural gas wells on school grounds. This gas has been extracting using a technique called fracking where a liquid with water and some potentially very dangerous chemicals is injected into the ground to release the gas.

But we`ve obtained some documents that show us that last summer, a month and a half before the first girl became symptomatic, that they were cited for two of these wells spilling this liquid onto the ground, killing trees and vegetation around the area of these well heads.

This is right in the area where Bob Bowcock and his team were trying to get soil samples, and it`s where students every day play, do sports, practice their sports right there on school grounds, Dr. Drew.

PINSKY: All right. Well, let`s get - let`s show you some shots of the playing field so we can localize this at the high school. I`m going to show you an aerial shot of the football and baseball fields in relation to the gas wells. You can see that right there.

The report says the brine tank is leaking, brines are openings, brine is in the gravel around the well. The grass is not burned but the trees next to the site are dead. That`s what the report say.

All right. Here, let`s take a look closer at the wells by those two high school playing fields. As you can see, dead trees, burned grass, and you can see the effects of at least the brine around the area.

Jim, anything have been done recently in regard to this leak?

SPELLMAN: Well, as you know, Dr. Drew, the school has hired attorneys and they wouldn`t let us speak directly to school officials or go on to school grounds. But from an adjacent road, I can clearly see that at least the largest trees that are dead are still there. They look just like they do in that Google Satellite photo.

So we haven`t gotten official word. I`ve been asking them for 24 hours to respond and tell us if and how they`ve mitigated these circumstances. No official response, but I can still clearly see those dead trees.

PINSKY: Now you spoke to a few parents and their kids about the spill near the field. We`re going to take a look at that in a second.

But first, I want to go to Bob. Bob, I - I understood these wells are not using fracking. I do not want to create panic here about some wells near a high school that`s allegedly using fracking. Aren`t there wells at the - at the site that leak brine, that uses brine because that`s a shallow well, and then there are nearby wells that use fracking. Is that not the case?

BOB BOWCOCK, CONDUCTING ENVIRONMENTAL TESTS IN LE ROY, NY: Well, we`re not exactly sure because we haven`t had the opportunity to discuss this with school officials.

As Jim said, we`re concerned about what`s going on there. The chemicals or the brine that`s used, you know, brine in industry has been used as a code word for fracking fluid. They are indeed pumping at about one gallon a minute this fluid down into the well to cause the gas to be produced, for it to come up in the well.

So we`re - frankly we`re not sure. What we`ve asked the school to produce is the Material Safety Data Sheet, referred to as an MSDS, to tell us exactly what`s in that chemical mixture.

PINSKY: All right, so -

Glynis Steele

Thank you for this. It just illustrates so perfectly how wrong psychology is. Absolutely disgraceful. My daughter's movements are slightly like this. She kind of jerks and flaps. This did not happen when she was tube fed, but did when she ate oral carbs. I was told her behaviours are autistic traits. I think it is due to some kind of bacterial overgrowth. And strep is one of the bacteria that de Meirleir found to be an overgrowth in the guts of CFS patients. Strep can be a d-lactic acid producer, and an overgrowth of this bacteria can cause neurological changes, that are reversible. It is caused by bacteria fermenting carbs, instead of the carbs being digested by the body.

Food for thought?

Bob

I read for the first time today (CNN transcript) that there are six natural gas wells on the school premises. Some reports say the wells were drilled using hydraulic hydrofracking techniques. The EPA has evidence that this technique--fracking--sometimes releases dangerous toxins into nearby wells and into the water table.

Here's part of a CNN transcript where this is discussed:

JIM SPELLMAN, HLN CORRESPONDENT: Well, Dr. Drew, we have had some really troubling information here about the school, Le Roy Middle, Senior High School. There are six natural gas wells on school grounds. This gas has been extracting using a technique called fracking where a liquid with water and some potentially very dangerous chemicals is injected into the ground to release the gas.

But we`ve obtained some documents that show us that last summer, a month and a half before the first girl became symptomatic, that they were cited for two of these wells spilling this liquid onto the ground, killing trees and vegetation around the area of these well heads.

This is right in the area where Bob Bowcock and his team were trying to get soil samples, and it`s where students every day play, do sports, practice their sports right there on school grounds, Dr. Drew.

Wow, Thanks for the info advocate.

Seems like rather a coincidence that there were oil-industry chemical spills on the school grounds, one month before the outbreak, doesn't it?!

Bob

Dangers of fracking:
http://www.dangersoffracking.com/

Surely this can't be true? - They surely can't be pumping radioactive materials into gas wells?:

FRACKING FLUID
Up to 600 chemicals are used in fracking fluid, including known carcinogens and toxins such as
LEAD, URANIUM, MERCURY, ETHYLENE GLYCOL, RADIUM, METHANOL, HYDROCHLORIC ACID, FORMALDEHYDE

Also of interest:

CONTAMINATION
During this process, methane gas and toxic chemicals leach out from the system and contaminate nearby groundwater.

DRINKING WATER
Contaminated well water is used for drinking water for nearby cities and towns.

There have been over 1,000 documented cases of water contamination next to areas of gas drilling as well as cases of sensory, respiratory, and neurological damage due to ingested contaminated water.

An interesting update at http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-leroy-twitching-epidemic,0,6772338.story?hpt=us_bn4

Supposedly the contaminated ground was cleaned up back in the 1990s, put into barrels and shipped off to be burned.

But PIX 11 News discovered the Superfund site in a shocking state of neglect with more than 200 industrial drums full of potentially hazardous waste rusting outdoors. Dozens of drums were full of holes with the contents spilling out. The EPA, which admitted to PIX 11 that at least 100 barrels have been rotting on the site since the 1990s, also said it didn't have a complete grasp of the contents.