• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

what dose metafolin is safe?

Freddd

60 mg of Ab12? Thats about 7 sublinguals in one day? This is a one time dose?

Cheney's electrolyte formula with no salt is half and half sea salt and no salt but intended I think for low blood volume issues with dysautonomia. Its interesting that postassium raises aldosterone. I am wondering if one can make the drinks by taste? If you crave more potassium than salt, etc.

Volume loading using appropriate volume expanders can be quite helpful. This can be done in a variety of ways, but falls best under the term of isotonic [same salt concentration as normal cells and blood] volume expansion. Hydralyte (Gookinaid) is a well-documented isotonic volume expander and is used in athletic events such as marathon running." [Gookinaid.com] "It has an advantage of rapid absorption and is maintained in the intravascular volume far longer than hypotonic [less salt concentration] drinks such as water itself. The disadvantage to Hydralyte (Gookinaid) is that it has sugar in it in the form of glucose."
"Another option would be a HomeBrew mixture of sea salt and "No Salt."

HomeBrew recipe:

?1 cup filtered or spring water
?1/8 teaspoon of Sea Salt
?1/8 teaspoon of "No Salt" salt substitute (potassium).
?Add lime juice or an herbal teabag as well as stevia for taste (or something to give it flavor without altering the electrolyte balance: peppermint, peach, raspberry zinger, etc.)

You can add 1 cup of Seltzer Water in there too, however, if you do, you need to double the amounts of Sea Salt & "No Salt" as has been done in the recipe below. See this earlier page for more information or read various posts on the subject on Yahoo!Groups CFSFMExperimental.

According to Dr. Cheney, "Four to eight glasses of Hydralyte (Gookinaid) or HomeBrew are recommended. Why is potassium in these drinks? Potassium induces Aldosterone , a hormone that significantly increases blood volume."

http://www.dfwcfids.org/healing/gokhmbrw.htm

Hi Soulfeast,

60 mg of Ab12? Thats about 7 sublinguals in one day? This is a one time dose?

That is 6 x 10mg-adb12 from Source Naturals. I use the mass of adb12 itself, not conversion to the number of molecules of cyanocbl equivalence which is a fiction since anything beyond 125mcg of cyanocbl is fiction anyway.

After there is NO PERCEPTABLE effect from taking a single 10mg adb12 and all the body startup for adb12 is finished, then one tries the 50-60mg adb12 test. If there is an effect likely it will only happen once as it birngs the CNS up to equilibrium. I do it once a week to maintain that equilibrium. ALS and Parkinson's and possibly others have a specific indicator for low adb12 of MMA in the CSF and it is thought that it takes a couple of decades of malfunctioning neurological mitos for the damage to develop. Also, I feel better, have more energy, my brain works better and better moods and better sex. All good reasons to try it. If there is no effect he first time, according to my hypothesis they are not short of it in the CNS. The effect is small and not terribly noticable and gets lost in the much larger body effects if equilibrium isn't reached in the body first. The mb12 and adb12 effects of the 50mg test are quite independent and different.

I can't vouce for adding that much sodium salt to ones intake. Somebody also said that it interfers wioth the potassium. I don't know.

after increasing metafolin i thought i felt good. but that was with 800mcg metafolin 2 times a day. today i tried 1600mcg at once and i felt horrible today within 30 minutes: headache, dizzy, i felt like i was having blood pressure problems, at one time it felt i was going to pass out. It is 10 hours later, but still feel sick.
i was already looking for a good potassium supplement, but think i have to hurry. i will lower metafolin for now (or is it better to quit untill i have potassium?).

what dose potassium should i take? once a day? i prefer capsules

adreno

PR activist
I know someone who takes 30mg methylfolate daily, without any of these negative symptoms. It's crazy the reaction we get from relatively small amounts, isn't it?

Freddd

after increasing metafolin i thought i felt good. but that was with 800mcg metafolin 2 times a day. today i tried 1600mcg at once and i felt horrible today within 30 minutes: headache, dizzy, i felt like i was having blood pressure problems, at one time it felt i was going to pass out. It is 10 hours later, but still feel sick.
i was already looking for a good potassium supplement, but think i have to hurry. i will lower metafolin for now (or is it better to quit untill i have potassium?).

what dose potassium should i take? once a day? i prefer capsules

Hi Wende,

Using instant release potassium you will need at least 2, and maybe 4 doses a day. There is a prescription K-dur product but it has it's dangers.

Each supplement tablet will be 90-99mg. You may need anywhere for 6 to 18 or so of them a day. If you get some of the powders, there are differing doses per half teaspoon or quarter teaspoon but follow directions and use plenty of liquid so you don't kill tissue in stomach.

is there any way to know you're not taking too much potassium?
6 to 18 a day sounds like a lot.
my potassium was 4,3 (normal range 3,5-5,0) months ago, but that was before i started LDN and recently metafolin and jarrowb12.
unfortunately my doctor will not help me, she thinks it is ridiculous to take supplements when tests show you're in normal range.

years ago i was having severe balance, blood pressure and dizziness symptoms, after using a magnesium-potassium supplement for 3 weeks i could notice the difference! so i would not be surprised if i would feel a bit better using potassium again

Freddd

Most of the times when Potassium is prescribed it is often a fizzy drink additive and is potassium chloride. In low concentration it is sweet to the taste and in higher concentration it is salty. It can burn stomach tissue so be careful, follow the directions. You can buy things like that at iherb or tablets. I take the gluconate and I find good performance and don't bother my stomach. Many prefer the drink to the pills and a big glass of plain water.

Pea

Couldn't stomach absorption issues affect how much Metafolin one actually gets in? i.e. why do we take B12 sublingually, but Metafolin is an oral tablet??

My friend is on 5 mg. of the MethylB but he's getting 2,800 mcg total of folic acid a day. Something is not getting through so we're going to add Metafolin - until the MethylB12s without folic acid get here, how much Metafolin should he have a day - 400 mcg, 800 mcg, 1600 mcg ? and should he crush it or chew it for better absorption?

Between the multi's & the Perque Ascorbate powder he's supplementing 700 mg. of potassium/day.

Freddd

Couldn't stomach absorption issues affect how much Metafolin one actually gets in? i.e. why do we take B12 sublingually, but Metafolin is an oral tablet??

My friend is on 5 mg. of the MethylB but he's getting 2,800 mcg total of folic acid a day. Something is not getting through so we're going to add Metafolin - until the MethylB12s without folic acid get here, how much Metafolin should he have a day - 400 mcg, 800 mcg, 1600 mcg ? and should he crush it or chew it for better absorption?

Between the multi's & the Perque Ascorbate powder he's supplementing 700 mg. of potassium/day.

Hi Pea,

Oral folates are absorbed VERY well. Oral b12s are absorbed passively at about 1%. Even if the active system is working full blast that only adds up to 10 mcg to the absorbtion. So with both absorbtions going ojn about 20mcg might be absrobed from a 1000mcg oral dose. A 1000mcg sublingual dose absorbs at 150-250 mcg, makes all the difference. Get him OFF the folic acid and folinic acid as those can block the methylfolate in the body.

Pea

Thanks, Fredd, glad to hear oral folates are absorbed. I am in the process of getting rid of the folic acid - I ordered your recommendeds yesterday. Just don't want to go TOO fast since he doesn't fully get what I'm trying to do, and I don't want to scare him with sudden start up symptoms.

Pea

OK, back to the how much metafolin is too much - he is going back to Centrum Silver as multi for now instead of the other multi's which had 800 mcg. folic acid each tab. (He WAS getting 2800 mcg. folic acid per day, and no Folapro).

So, until the B12s w/o folic acid arrive, he will now be getting -
a.m. - 800 mcg folic acid (400 with the B12, 400 with Centrum); 800 mcg Folapro
p.m. - 400 mcg folic acid; 800 mcg Folapro

Opinions on adjustment? Is this safe? Others have said be careful with the amount of Folapro, but I'm thinking the folic acid will cancel out. Are there more dangers to having too much metafolin than not enough?

Also Fredd, in another thread you said to make sure the B12 is circulating before adding the Folapro. Worried about that, although I am seeing some changes so I'm hoping it is circulating.

Wende - re: potassium, there is another thread on "Warning Potassium" where people explain the different types that you might find helpful.

OK, back to the how much metafolin is too much - he is going back to Centrum Silver as multi for now instead of the other multi's which had 800 mcg. folic acid each tab. (He WAS getting 2800 mcg. folic acid per day, and no Folapro).

So, until the B12s w/o folic acid arrive, he will now be getting -
a.m. - 800 mcg folic acid (400 with the B12, 400 with Centrum); 800 mcg Folapro
p.m. - 400 mcg folic acid; 800 mcg Folapro

Opinions on adjustment? Is this safe? Others have said be careful with the amount of Folapro, but I'm thinking the folic acid will cancel out. Are there more dangers to having too much metafolin than not enough?

Also Fredd, in another thread you said to make sure the B12 is circulating before adding the Folapro. Worried about that, although I am seeing some changes so I'm hoping it is circulating.

Wende - re: potassium, there is another thread on "Warning Potassium" where people explain the different types that you might find helpful.

I personally wouldnt take folic acid. You might look at MadieTodd's thread on mfolate as she said that she only needs increased potassium if she takes a large dose of mfolate. I also note the same thing. I take 800mcg plus the dose in 2 Thorne Basic B's plus 500mg potassium gluconate powder in a drink, no folic acid. my serum potassium is 4.5 on this.

Rydra

Rand56

hi Pea

I know Freddd responded to you in this thread saying that folate is digested very well if taken orally and this is good to know. I take some of my Solar Metafolin pills sublingually. I do this just to spare my stomach in having to digest so many pills. Taking them subligually they actually taste good and they disolve pretty quickly.