• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low B12 and side effects.

Hi, I should first start by saying that CFS is not a part of my diagnosis, so I hope it's okay that I'm posting here - after much searching, this seems to be one of the best places on the web for folks with b12 knowledge. I am a 33yo F. About a month ago, I went to my doctor with symptoms of recurring canker sores, fatigue, foggy thinking, trouble concentrating, forgetfulness, anxiety, trouble focusing eyes at times, and increasing gut issues. She checked only my b12 and ferritin levels. My b12 tested at 205 and MMA 0.38, likely due to 20 years of vegetarian diet, and also being lactose intolerant. I was told my ferritin was within normal range (26).

My doctor suggested only 100mcg b12 daily for several weeks, and then back to down the the RDA. After reading about which types are most effective and thinking that a higher dose may be more beneficial, I bought the Jarrow methyl-b12 sublinguals - 1000mcg. Within minutes of taking one, I became so sedated that I could barely keep my eyes open, and was forced to lay down until I slowly became more alert over a couple hours. Following this, I noticed a severe decrease in mood, felt like crying, became quite shaky with some muscle pains, and felt generally 'spaced out' and weak for 24-48 hours. After feeling relatively 'normal' again, I halved the dose, and the same thing happened. After reading about the possibility of mercury amalgams reacting with methyl-b12, I decided to purchase GNC cyanocobalamin liquid B12 and started off very low at only one drop (held sublingually), which I estimate to be around 50mcg. I can take this with fewer issues (mild shakiness, irritable stomach-intermittent diarrhea, and some heartburn). At two drops, I feel a bit sleepy (though nothing like with the methyl-b12), my stomach issues intensify, and my mood drops noticeably as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this? Should I keep plugging away at 50mcg until I can tolerate 100mcg with no side effects? Should liquid cyanocobalamin be effective in someone who does not have pernicious anemia, and is simply deficient due to diet? Any insights would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Freddd

Hi, I should first start by saying that CFS is not a part of my diagnosis, so I hope it's okay that I'm posting here - after much searching, this seems to be one of the best places on the web for folks with b12 knowledge. I am a 33yo F. About a month ago, I went to my doctor with symptoms of recurring canker sores, fatigue, foggy thinking, trouble concentrating, forgetfulness, anxiety, trouble focusing eyes at times, and increasing gut issues. She checked only my b12 and ferritin levels. My b12 tested at 205 and MMA 0.38, likely due to 20 years of vegetarian diet, and also being lactose intolerant. I was told my ferritin was within normal range (26).

My doctor suggested only 100mcg b12 daily for several weeks, and then back to down the the RDA. After reading about which types are most effective and thinking that a higher dose may be more beneficial, I bought the Jarrow methyl-b12 sublinguals - 1000mcg. Within minutes of taking one, I became so sedated that I could barely keep my eyes open, and was forced to lay down until I slowly became more alert over a couple hours. Following this, I noticed a severe decrease in mood, felt like crying, became quite shaky with some muscle pains, and felt generally 'spaced out' and weak for 24-48 hours. After feeling relatively 'normal' again, I halved the dose, and the same thing happened. After reading about the possibility of mercury amalgams reacting with methyl-b12, I decided to purchase GNC cyanocobalamin liquid B12 and started off very low at only one drop (held sublingually), which I estimate to be around 50mcg. I can take this with fewer issues (mild shakiness, irritable stomach-intermittent diarrhea, and some heartburn). At two drops, I feel a bit sleepy (though nothing like with the methyl-b12), my stomach issues intensify, and my mood drops noticeably as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this? Should I keep plugging away at 50mcg until I can tolerate 100mcg with no side effects? Should liquid cyanocobalamin be effective in someone who does not have pernicious anemia, and is simply deficient due to diet? Any insights would be much appreciated. Thanks!

HI Patteecreek,

I would suggest that low potassium can be a problem, but not in minutes. Low methylfolate can be a problem. You also need adb12 (Source Naturals Dibencozide) especially for elevated MMA. Of course cyancbl has less effects, its so close to worthless that for a lot of people it increases b12 deficiency.

B12 starts melatonin productio. You need A WHOLE LOT MORE THAN JUST B1. go to http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?11522-Active-B12-Protocol-Basics and read up on everuything you need with it.

HI Patteecreek,

I would suggest that low potassium can be a problem, but not in minutes. Low methylfolate can be a problem. You also need adb12 (Source Naturals Dibencozide) especially for elevated MMA. Of course cyancbl has less effects, its so colse to worthless that for a lot of people it increases b12 deficiency.

B12 starts melatonin productio. You need A WHOLE LOT MORE THAN JUST B1. go to http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?11522-Active-B12-Protocol-Basics and read up on everuything you need with it.

Hi Freddd,
I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will continue to read more. I do have one other question, regarding Omega3. Have you heard of anyone using vegetarian-sourced omegas with success? As I have a sensitive stomach and have not yet reintroduced any meat sources into my diet, I question if fish oil would make me ill. I have been reading that cranberry seed oil is a potent source of omegas and wonder if anyone has experimented with it?

Freddd

Hi Freddd,
I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will continue to read more. I do have one other question, regarding Omega3. Have you heard of anyone using vegetarian-sourced omegas with success? As I have a sensitive stomach and have not yet reintroduced any meat sources into my diet, I question if fish oil would make me ill. I have been reading that cranberry seed oil is a potent source of omegas and wonder if anyone has experimented with it?

Hi Patteecreek,

If you have paradoxical folate defieincy on a vegetarian diet you may not be able to overcome that. PFD casue a stomach sensitive to everything. Meat may help you trmendously. The "magic" effects of the traditional tantric meal (for healing and other reasons) of beef, fish, whole grains and other things in a vegetarian society were attributed to power gained by breaking taboo. Now we know it isn't magic except for nutrition and contains mb12, adb12, methylfolate, omega3 oils, l-carnitine and other things. B12 deficiency casues the only nutrient specific anorexia known, an aversion to b12 containing foods. "Any sufficiently advanced technology looks like magic". - Clarke's Law.

Some people have used vegetable source oils. I don't know how they worked in the end. People don't usually announce such. Try it, you can always change. With the active b12s and metafolin, assuming no paradoxical folate deficiency from veggie folate, your digestive diffuculties should heal. I always wondered why I would always get IBS when I ate vegetarian. Now I know the answer and switched back to being a happy healthy meat eater. However, I don't want to give up veggies so I have to eat them in controled amounts and time my Metafolin carefully, and probably take a wwole lot more than I would need if I didn't have borth PFD1 and PFD2 (paradoxical folate deficiency with both folic acid and folinic acid).

Hi Patteecreek,
I believe that flax oil has been used by vegitarians with success.
I also believe that the methylB12 is much better for you than the cynoB12.
I was in very much the same position as you this time last year, with some of the same symptoms. I also had some 'startup' symptoms when I first began Freddd's protocol. Although they were not as severe as yours. One thing you could try is to break up the methyB12 into small bits, and take them periodically throughout the day. One bit every hour or so.
Hope this helps,
mogy

Hi Patteecreek,

If you have paradoxical folate defieincy on a vegetarian diet you may not be able to overcome that. PFD casue a stomach sensitive to everything. Meat may help you trmendously. The "magic" effects of the traditional tantric meal (for healing and other reasons) of beef, fish, whole grains and other things in a vegetarian society were attributed to power gained by breaking taboo. Now we know it isn't magic except for nutrition and contains mb12, adb12, methylfolate, omega3 oils, l-carnitine and other things. B12 deficiency casues the only nutrient specific anorexia known, an aversion to b12 containing foods. "Any sufficiently advanced technology looks like magic". - Clarke's Law.

I am slowly coming around to the fact that my body will be healthier with the inclusion of meat. Surprisingly (after 20 years of zero interest) I have been drawn to the smells of various meat sources over the last year or so. I suspect in the coming weeks I will be gradually reintroducing some things. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Hi Patteecreek,
I believe that flax oil has been used by vegitarians with success.
I also believe that the methylB12 is much better for you than the cynoB12.
I was in very much the same position as you this time last year, with some of the same symptoms. I also had some 'startup' symptoms when I first began Freddd's protocol. Although they were not as severe as yours. One thing you could try is to break up the methyB12 into small bits, and take them periodically throughout the day. One bit every hour or so.
Hope this helps,
mogy

Thanks for the reply, Mogy. I think your suggestion of breaking the methylB12 into smaller amounts is a very good one. I have ordered some more supplements and they should be arriving soon. Can't wait to start feeling healthier!