• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Huperzine A

ramakentesh

I did a search but got no leads. I was wondering if any one has tried Huperzine A and what their experiences were. Thanks!cheeky grin:

xrunner

My mum has tried it for about three months as she suffers from Lyme induced cognitive deficits but all I can say it helped only mildly at best.
She's getting better results from an adaptation of RVK's SMP and other.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
as for nootropics i have used piracetam where i had some cognitive improvement but i would get sleepy shortly after using it, i didnt persue it for very long. The other is aniracetam, i found this more effective and noticed increase cognitive and energy from it shortly after taking it and i havent been able to use it as racetams are now band for import but will have to look into again. I used dmae but got nothing from it. I havent used these for a few years now. NAD 20mg in a sublingual tab helped some. Phenylethylamine made me feel sick, headachey etc.

Something i am interested in trying for a quick energy/cognitive boost is acetyl tyrosine. Centrophenoxine is another on my list to try. Huperzine A also looks interesting.

cheers!!!

Hi. New here. Recent diagnosis of POTS, post viral subtype.

I've been playing with huperzine for a few weeks, and what I've personally found is that it's okay for daytime brain fog, but not amazing.

However, I have found that if I take it at night, my sleep is MUCH more restful. It only lasts about 4-6 hours, so I'll usually either re-dose when I wake up at 3-4am, or take something else (like bacopa, also helpful for sleep).

As for the dose, I find 400mcg is about the max dose I tolerate without nausea (very large dose.)

I originally took it to see if I could augment my cholinergic transmission and be less tachy when I stand. Jury's still out on that. Some days it seems to help, others not.

Vinpocetine is good for brain fog, as is Yohimbe. Sudafed helps with fatigue/drowsiness.

I also take ibuprofen after (or just before) a meal to limit the amount of blood my gut steals from my brain, which greatly helps with the post-meal nap attacks.

Good luck.

ramakentesh

Thanks for your reply. I was interested in huperzine a because it is both an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor like mestonin but it also works on NDMA receptors. So i was wondering how it would work for POTS and also to improve cholinergic responses.

Did you notice any improvement to presyncope or dizziness during the day? Did you find it sedating ( I found mestonin very sedating).

Im also interested in how differently an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor that crosses into the CNS might differ in effects from a peripheral one like mestonin.

Yohimbine/Yohimbe was something I thought about years ago but i assumed alpha 2 blockade would make me worse. Does that increase your dizziness? As for the periwinkle extract that is also an interesting observation and I was curious about how that effected dizziness as well. Someone once told me a small dose calcium channel blocker helped her brain fog.

Gingko would also be interesting - would the enhanced nitric oxide mediated vasodilation be good or bad? And would its potent acetyl. inhibitors make it work anyway?

Valentijn

Yohimbine/Yohimbe was something I thought about years ago but i assumed alpha 2 blockade would make me worse. Does that increase your dizziness?
Blocking ADRA2A might be exactly what we need ... it's been shown to be upregulated in ME patients after exertion, and can account for PEM and OI symptoms. It's worked well for me so far (about two weeks now), taking 100mg Yohimbe bark twice per day.

But it might depend on what your symptoms are. If you have no PEM, then maybe not a good idea, or if norepinephrine levels aren't low.

I just began to try it. At 225µg, I have no effect. I don't know how much I can take. I'm going to take another 225µg pill this evening. What about you? Any effect, at what dose?