• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

jarrow's methyl b12- unable to tolerate

Hi everyone,
I am unable to tolerate sub. methyl b12. When I put it under my tongue it burns and leaves a sore behind. I have tried it many times hoping I would just get used to it but it irritates my mouth no matter what. I tried putting it under my lip above my front teeth. That is even worse, becasue of the way my bone or tooth sticks out it is painfull to put anything there. I currently have a Rx for Cyano. b12 but I do not notice any effects from this. I have been tested for intrinsic factor and it was negative. Would I be able to swallow jarrow's b12 and still absorb enough?

Freddd, I have spoken with you a few times on another form and maybe once here, but I don't think I asked this question before. I think my next step might be to get a script for methyl injections..??

Thanks for any help

chilove

See if a compounding pharmacist in your area can help. There might be something minor in the jarrow formula that is irritating you that a compounding pharmacist could leave out...

Freddd

Hi everyone,
I am unable to tolerate sub. methyl b12. When I put it under my tongue it burns and leaves a sore behind. I have tried it many times hoping I would just get used to it but it irritates my mouth no matter what. I tried putting it under my lip above my front teeth. That is even worse, becasue of the way my bone or tooth sticks out it is painfull to put anything there. I currently have a Rx for Cyano. b12 but I do not notice any effects from this. I have been tested for intrinsic factor and it was negative. Would I be able to swallow jarrow's b12 and still absorb enough?

Freddd, I have spoken with you a few times on another form and maybe once here, but I don't think I asked this question before. I think my next step might be to get a script for methyl injections..??

Thanks for any help

Hi Cat65,

Try Enzymatic Therapy. It has no citric acid. The whole trick is to be able to do it for long enough that your epithelial tissues in your mouth can heal and the Jarrow stops affecting you that way. I had that in the beginning. In addition to the ET mb12 also get the Source Naturals adb12. The cyanocbl doesn't have a prayer of being able to heal your mouth tissue enough and makes a lot of things wrose. Be sure to get the Metafolin and many other cofactors going too.

I have enough room for 9 tablets under my lip on top. Use a different spot every day. Dont use that hard spot in the middle. It gets sore for mechanical reasons.

Thanks for the answers. I am taking all the other necessary co-factors. I am gong to try your test with the metafolin. I think this may be a problem for me as well. I was able to take country Life's adb12 without any irritation. So I recently tried taking 2 a day. I ended up with sores at the corners of my mouth and feeling very fuzzy/foggy for about 2 days. I stopped them and I feel better right now. (accept for no memory what so every! can't stand that!) I am still going to try and get an Rx for the methyl injections. I'll post back.

Thanks again for your answeres.

Freddd

Thanks for the answers. I am taking all the other necessary co-factors. I am gong to try your test with the metafolin. I think this may be a problem for me as well. I was able to take country Life's adb12 without any irritation. So I recently tried taking 2 a day. I ended up with sores at the corners of my mouth and feeling very fuzzy/foggy for about 2 days. I stopped them and I feel better right now. (accept for no memory what so every! can't stand that!) I am still going to try and get an Rx for the methyl injections. I'll post back.

Thanks again for your answeres.

Hi Cat65,

The Enzymatic Therapy is a better choice than injection. There is the same 0 to 5 star mb12 variation in the injections and you can't get those by brand. Also, almost all pharmacies mix it in the light destroying it by causing light triggered breakdown that causes acne and breaks it down to hycbl (OHcbl and H2Ocbl equilibrium). The ET b12 Infusion is far more rleiable and is one of the best mb12s avialable. The Source Naturals adb12 is good and non-irritating too without the folic acid.

And welcome aboard. The voyage continues...

adreno

PR activist
Hi Cat65,

Try Enzymatic Therapy. It has no citric acid. The whole trick is to be able to do it for long enough that your epithelial tissues in your mouth can heal and the Jarrow stops affecting you that way. I had that in the beginning. In addition to the ET mb12 also get the Source Naturals adb12. The cyanocbl doesn't have a prayer of being able to heal your mouth tissue enough and makes a lot of things wrose. Be sure to get the Metafolin and many other cofactors going too.

I have enough room for 9 tablets under my lip on top. Use a different spot every day. Dont use that hard spot in the middle. It gets sore for mechanical reasons.

You've tried both the Solgar and Source Naturals methylcobalamin and they sucked? I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "5 star methylcobalamin"?

Freddd

You've tried both the Solgar and Source Naturals methylcobalamin and they sucked? I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "5 star methylcobalamin"?

Hi Adreno,

I and 4 other hypersensitives tested 10 brands ain one seriesd and another half dozen over the next couple of years in a different way. In the test of 10 by 5 hypersensitives, Jarrow and Enzymatic Therapy were the best by a HUGE HUGE HUGE margin. Sourse Naturals 5mg was tested and it was an abolute ZERO stars for all 5 testers, did not reduce symptoms and allowed symprtoms to return in 3 days. After a week all 5 testers said they were getting too sick again and couldn't continue. All the others came in 1 or 2 stars with one possivble 3 star. Since then The AOR 15mg methylb12 and the Medicine Shoppe house brand mb12 1mg I would estimate a rating of 4 stars based on reports. Solgar was one of the 2 star ones.

adreno

PR activist
Hi Adreno,

I and 4 other hypersensitives tested 10 brands ain one seriesd and another half dozen over the next couple of years in a different way. In the test of 10 by 5 hypersensitives, Jarrow and Enzymatic Therapy were the best by a HUGE HUGE HUGE margin. Sourse Naturals 5mg was tested and it was an abolute ZERO stars for all 5 testers, did not reduce symptoms and allowed symprtoms to return in 3 days. After a week all 5 testers said they were getting too sick again and couldn't continue. All the others came in 1 or 2 stars with one possivble 3 star. Since then The AOR 15mg methylb12 and the Medicine Shoppe house brand mb12 1mg I would estimate a rating of 4 stars based on reports. Solgar was one of the 2 star ones.

Ok, thanks. I'm surprised Solgar and Source Naturals did so badly in your test, when they have such good methylfolate products. Is only methylcobalamin light sensitive?

Freddd

HI Adren,

No, Adb12, cyanocbl and methylb12 all break down from light. I believe that it has to do with what bacteria were used to create the original b12 crystal having NOTHING to do with the quality of the product. Minor differences in the molecule are known but nobody knows what one is the good one and most don't know there is any difference.

Freddd,

I looked up enzymatic therapy methyl b12 on Iherb and the only one they show is called b12 fusion and its chewable. Is this the one you are talking about?

Freddd

Freddd,

I looked up enzymatic therapy methyl b12 on Iherb and the only one they show is called b12 fusion and its chewable. Is this the one you are talking about?

Hi Cat,

Yes B12 infusion. And they say "chewable" by law. Technically sublingual can only be used for approved medications. So the legal instructions make sure it can't work.
Fred

adreno

PR activist
Hi Adreno,

In the Active B12 protocol thread you stated that Solgar has not been tested, so I'm confused? Is there anywhere I can read the test results? I would like to get rid of the citric acid in Jarrows. Thanks.

Freddd

In the Active B12 protocol thread you stated that Solgar has not been tested, so I'm confused? Is there anywhere I can read the test results? I would like to get rid of the citric acid in Jarrows. Thanks.

Hi Adreno,

If you look at user reports the Source Natural 5mg mb12 also recieves high reviews despite being the only abolute zero star mb12 I've ever taken. Also, NAC, folinic acid, folic acid all receive excellent reviews. Just goes to show what those reviews are worth. People don't actually expect vitamins to do anything perceptable.

I have taken the Solgar myself. It wasn't subject to the 5 person test. I found it to be very mediocre as reported by others and didn't consider it worth testing. I would put it at about 2 stars, unable to maintain most advances made by Jarrow or Enzymatc Therapy and unable to make any advances on healing itself after having used the others. It was slightly better than taking none at all and delayed return of symptoms by 5 days instead of 3 days with nothing. Go to the Enzymatic Therapy. It is 5 star and most excellent and effective.

I started taking the Solgaar Folate 800MCG. Not even two days later I got a sore at the corner of my mouth. I thought that this was a sign of deficiency? I am confused now. I have not had one of these sores in a long time.

Freddd

I started taking the Solgaar Folate 800MCG. Not even two days later I got a sore at the corner of my mouth. I thought that this was a sign of deficiency? I am confused now. I have not had one of these sores in a long time.

Hi Cat,

I can think of a number of possible causes. For one insufficient mb12 or b2 can also cause the sores and these can be inuced by the startup of healing triggered by the Metafolin. Also, a little methylfolate can start a lot of methyllation that can't be maintained on the small amount. It can be enough for 4 hours after taking it and then be deficient for the next 20 hours. Also, when there is a lot of methylation going on some things will be let fall by the wayside as more important things are handled.

Twice a day b-complex and 3 times a day Metafolin (not now speaking of total daily dose, but number of doses in a day) can make a substantial difference. These things vary a lot from person to person.

rydra_wong

Cat, are you talking about angular chielitis? I said in another thread here somewhere that it happened to me firest time ever when I both ran out of vitamin E and ate a lot of junk food. I found it can be caused also by insufficient vitamin E. And of course the junk food raises the need for B vitamins (B vitamins are cofactors of many of the enzymes required to assimulate carbohydrates). In the past I used to eat a lot of junk food during PMS but I was taking 1g E/day plus a B100. Since this strategy worked, and the B was non-active B's, I am going to say that it is possible that the specific B vitamins needed whose amount rises when eating more carbs is probably not B6, B12, or B9 (folate), but more likely B1,B3, and/or B2. Since niacin is used multiple times in the Kreb cycle (3 times?) it is a likely candidate, although DIABETICS (who are known for overdoing carbs) seem to need more B1, so maybe that's it. B2 is also used in the Kreb cycle, possibly twice. Also, the METHYL cycle requires B2 as a cofactor (I forget which enzyme) so maybe you are requiring that enzyme be used more by raising folate. You are taking the B complex 2x/day right? These are all just logical thoughts. It could be any of the above that causes it. But for me, I was taking the B complex (Thorne) 2x/day and the mfolate 800mcg and eating junk food, buut no E and I got it. Only time ever.

Freddd

B12 is abvailable in skin patches

Hi Min,

Yes it is. And skin patches deliver about 1% of the level of b12 needed for diffusion healing. So if people were never sick or damaged in the first place, who knows, maybe they could maintain health in a person who didn't have our problems in the first place.

Min

Hi Min,

Yes it is. And skin patches deliver about 1% of the level of b12 needed for diffusion healing. So if people were never sick or damaged in the first place, who knows, maybe they could maintain health in a person who didn't have our problems in the first place.

well all we need to do is wear 100 at a time!