• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Extreme heat on lying down

My son experiences extreme heat every time he gets to lie down for a rest. The only thing which helps bring the heat down is to get up and walk. Sitting has got to be in an upright position. He feels very miserable unable to lie down as he's thoroughly flat out. He's been on 0.5mg klonopin for the last 2 years. Is it time to up the dose or is this neurological? Will beta blocker help?

hurtingallthetimet

id definetly take him to doctor if you havent...maybe he is putting to many blankets, socks, heavy clothes on to sleep in? i get over heated if i wear alot...i will be ice cold to touch but feel like skin is on fire..

its always good to check wiht doctor espically when new symptoms or kids are invloved..i hope you and your son are doing well and let us all lknow how he is take care

taniaaust1

What you described here isnt something Ive heard about in ME before... most of us get hot with standing or a little excertion and with hot flushes they often can happen at any time thou there are some triggers in us eg eatting etc, laying down as a trigger isnt something Ive heard of in our communities.

It makes me wonder if he's been misdiagnosed.. maybe blood pressure raising is causing him to feel hot?? (those who have an illness (which is not ME) called "pure autonomic failure" have their blood pressure go up when laying down and hence dont lay down. I too are going to say to take him to the doctor about this new symptom of his. He needs his blood pressure, heart rate etc to be taken both while standing and while laying to find out if there is some serious autonomic dysfunction going on... pure autonomic failure is quite serious and the opposite to what is seen in those with ME.

ukxmrv

I get very hot especially in the legs when I try to lie down for a nap. It's particuarly bad at night. There is no sweating for me.

What happens to your son? Does he sweat? He is actually hot (i.e. high temp or red) or does he feel hot?

Calathea

I notice that you're in Australia, i.e. summer and presumably pretty hot at that. How hot is it where you are?

How long does this problem go on for, and when exactly does it occur? For instance, if I have an afternoon nap, I am often cold from exhaustion when I start the nap, so I pile on the bedclothes, but then I warm up during the nap and can wake up overheated. I don't recall this problem ever happening to me at night, when the body temperature naturally drops.

When he's lying down, is he under blankets or bedclothes, and how much is he wearing? I find that my feet are crucial for this sort of thing, so that if I'm too cold I put on extra socks and put a heat pad by my feet, and if I'm too hot I have my bare feet sticking out from under the covers. I also find that cotton can work better for bedcoverings when regulating my body temperature, e.g. a cotton quilt (handmade sort of quilt, I'm not talking about a duvet/doona/eiderdown here), and that my temperature is less likely to charge all over the place if I sleep naked. I also notice that my hormones can be a factor if my temperature is all over the place, but unless he's a transman and you didn't mention this, female sex hormonal fluctuation won't be a factor here.

This might be easier if he were to post himself, you know. Is he an adult, or at least a child old enough to make a forum post?

Wonko

My perceived body temperature climbs about 11pm GMT (regardless of whether we are using BST or not), it's no where near as bad as it used to be (had about 8 years when it was really bad, even in winter I had to have windows open and use a 2 tog duvet just to be able to get to sleep, and even with that I used to sweat a lot). Whilst it was noticeable but generally tolerable if I was up it became an issue if I went to bed, for several years most of the time i didnt even attempt sleep until 2-3am by which time I was generally cool enough to attempt sleep.

Not sure if this is related to the OP's question, just commenting on Calathea's observation that the body tempurature normally drops at night, mine doesnt.

taniaaust1

My perceived body temperature climbs about 11pm GMT (regardless of whether we are using BST or not), it's no where near as bad as it used to be (had about 8 years when it was really bad, even in winter I had to have windows open and use a 2 tog duvet just to be able to get to sleep, and even with that I used to sweat a lot). Whilst it was noticeable but generally tolerable if I was up it became an issue if I went to bed, for several years most of the time i didnt even attempt sleep until 2-3am by which time I was generally cool enough to attempt sleep.

Not sure if this is related to the OP's question, just commenting on Calathea's observation that the body tempurature normally drops at night, mine doesnt.

Wonko.. the norm of body temp dropping at night wouldnt happen if someone has a circadian rhythm which isnt normal, sounds like seeing you also have sleep issue that this being out is why your body temp raises at night. This happens as in those who have a reversed circadian rhythm, not only is sleep cycle then happening at wrong time, but also the hormonal cycle of things happens at a wrong time too. Your temp night drop is probably happening in the middle of the day.

Calathea

Yes, I should have mentioned that "night" here means "when your body thinks it's nighttime", which may not correspond that closely with actual nighttime. I think the lowest temperature point is meant to be about four or five hours after you start sleeping. If your sleep pattern is delayed by, say, four hours, then your lowest body temperature will be as well. If you fall asleep at a different time every night, I have no idea what happens to your body temperature patterns (the only sleep study I had was at a sleep centre where they literally hadn't heard of circadian disorders, let alone being able to assess them appropriately), but they probably behave oddly too.