• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tourette like outbreak

m1she11e

Looks like a better possible diagnosis than the one the "Doctor" on the Today show gave! I hope these parents research and dont stop with this ridiculous diagnosis!!

Valentijn

The CNN coverage was pretty good. I think they had their Dr. Gupta guy on there saying "we can tell when people fake stuff like this" and implying that they were genuine symptoms. He also suggested that there might be additional cases at the school that were unreported, due to milder symptoms.

Desdinova

Yeah I saw the news coverage also most noticeably the CDC expert (or rather PR mouth piece) saying it was 'Mass Psychogenic Illness' and that it was triggered by stress. Yes sir Stress and Depression the go to diagnosis for when it will cost to damn much or your just to damn lazy to figure it out.

m1she11e

Isnt this pretty much what the CDC did when they came in to investigate the Incline Village outbreak? They called it something a long the same lines as mass hysteria. I see they are more careful not to use that word here but they are still saying the same thing. Problem with CFS/ME outbreak is they all felt "flu like." That was easy to give a stupid name and call it a psychosomatic illness. Its a little harder to sweep teen age girls that are twitching and jerking under the rug and call it involuntary movement syndrome.

Desdinova

Going by memory The CDC wasn't as quick, straight forward and direct in the diagnosis of the incline Village outbreak. Sorry It's a bad brain fog day and I'm to wiped out for my job to pull down Oslers Web and look it up.

Carrigon

No one is asking the right questions. Were they vaccinated? Did they all just recently get the Gardasil shot from hell? Did they get that and a flu shot? We don't know. Did they come into contact with cleaning or paint fumes in that school? We don't know. Any janitor would have long cleaned up anything well before anyone investigated. Yes, let's just fast track them and call it mass hysteria. The only ones who actually have ever had mass hysteria are those that accuse others of it.

Desdinova

No one is asking the right questions. Were they vaccinated? Did they all just recently get the Gardasil shot from hell? Did they get that and a flu shot?
I also have been wondering that, my money would be on the flu shot.

Valentijn

The CNN video article ruled out Gardasil, because some of them hadn't had it. They're all at the same school as well.

justinreilly

Just like in ME, they don't know what is going on, which is ok; but again like in ME, they then pretend they are sure it is conversion and mass hysteria which is unethical.

Desdinova

Looks like the NIH is going to get involved, Theirs a video (local NBC affiliate) to go along with the article. http://www.democratandchronicle.com...do-free-tests-Le-Roy-teens-mysterious-illness

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn....llness-more-girls-develop-tourettes-like-tics

Mechtler has diagnosed the girls as having a rare condition called mass psychogenic illness, more familiarly known as mass hysteria. It doesnt mean that their symptoms arent real, and painful merely that theyre psychological in origin.

This is a subconscious effect that occurs in patients who may be prone to anxiety or mood disorders, Mechtler told TODAYs Matt Lauer. But these are definitely real symptoms.

More Familiarly known as Mass Hysteria, Garbage Utter Garbage.

acer2000

Mystery Illness in 16 students

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/152174/1/Another-LeRoy-Student-Dealing-With-Mystery-Illness

Symptoms include development of ticks and tourettes like symptoms. Supposedly initially diagnosed as "conversion disorder". Sounds to me like another case of "we don't know whats wrong with you and we don't want to find out so we're calling it psychogenic". Hopefully the parents of these kids push back and ask for real answers.

The more things change... well they don't. They stay the same. *sigh*

Daffodil

i saw a neuropsychiatrist last year who believed CFS was psychological. just last year! i said how on earth could so many people all over the world get the same thing after a flu-like illness? he mentioned some bullchit about how some japanese women in a village get all the smyptoms of pregnancy, even bloodwork shows pregnancy, and its all psychologically induced...cuz they want a baby so badly.

Desdinova

Yeah I wonder if it will turn out that being more than 11 years old isn't an oddity or as big of an exclusion (for PANDAS) as the one doctor believed. It also gets me that when all the usual suspects or even more often than that all the usual limited/Basic list of Suspects is ruled out by the local state health officials. And sometimes by the CDC if they feel generous enough to do more than just review the info, data, tests etc collected by the local state health officials that it has to be Psychological.

There can never be anything new that comes along nor anything old and until recently undiscovered. Aids, Parkinson's, epilepsy, MS nope everything that is known to us is known. There are no Unknowns because we know everything. And if it isn't one of those knows and there aren't any unknowns since we know everything it has to be Psychological.

Enid

All I can say is its's about time medicine caught up with and solved ME - still apparently a mystery to them after all the decades.