• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Infrared saunas for people with chemical sensitivities

boomer

Hi, does anyone know of a company that sells healthy infrared saunas that are not made in China? We have chemical sensitivities and would rather purchase based on recommendations from people with chemical sensitivities that have experienced using the saunas. I think poplar wood is out of the question. Thanks.

I vaguely remember looking in to infrared saunas, and deciding that it looked like they were unlikely to be of any particular medical use (unless you just like getting really hot).

(Not the advice you asked for though, so feel free to ignore.)

sianrecovery

I dont know where you are Boomer, if you are in the UK, try Sarah Myhill's website - it comes up if you google her - has some companies listed. I rang one of them and they said they gassed off their products before sending them out. The name now eludes me, but they were the most expensive. I havent used one, I know some people have said they have found them helpful

Lou

I vaguely remember looking in to infrared saunas, and deciding that it looked like they were unlikely to be of any particular medical use (unless you just like getting really hot).

(Not the advice you asked for though, so feel free to ignore.)

Sorry, Esther12, in this case I could not disagree with your statement more. Only a cursory investigation will provide numerous claimed benefits. For example, it is probably the best way to detox many heavy metals. I've owned one for years and can attest personally to an array of postive effects.

Boomer, you're so right to take care as to which sauna to purchase. When mine arrived it looked and worked great, the only 'small' problem being that it literally poisoned me while using. The outgassing of chemicals(I guess the wood glue) was horrible, made it totally worthless, except I paid a lot of money for it. The company was no help and I had to get a lawyer to call them and threaten suit for them to replace. This they did with one made from peach or pear wood(can't remember now), and it's never given me a problem, no detectable outgassing at all. Hope this helps.

I just now see you referred to infrared, did you mean Far Infrared? My comments all refer to far infrared saunas.

Sorry, Esther12, in this case I could not disagree with your statement more. Only a cursory investigation will provide numerous claimed benefits. For example, it is probably the best way to detox many heavy metals.

Claimed benefits? Or evidence of benefit?

It was the detoxifying claims I looked in to, and it seemed that not only was there no evidence in support of them, but there seemed no plausible mechanism by which they could occur. This was a few years ago, so maybe there's some new evidence since then, or maybe I was mistaken, but I would advise people to look for some positive evidence rather than just trust their claims on this.

Saying that, some people enjoy saunas, and there's nothing wrong with that. It could well help you without it detoxifying heavy metals.

Marg

Hi,

Check out the Infrared saunas at www.evolutionhealth.com I have been using one for about 6 months. Check the list of benefits, amazing. I think the hemlock ones are the best. They out gas them before they sell them.

Infrared sauna is one of the reasons I am feeling much better. Regular saunas always made me feel sick even before I was sick, these are different, heaters are used that penetrate deep in the skin. Good for getting the lymph moving and many more things as you will see. I have worked up to 40 minutes at 135 degrees.

Athene

ihateticks.me
My doctor has an infrared sauna in his clinic and he advised me to have a few weeks of sessions to help me detox. It just detoxes you, and apparently very well, but doesn't do anything else. It doesn't cure you.

Personally I didn't find it all that great. The heat made me feel almost hysterical, and I get equally good detox effects from wallowing in a very hot bath with 2 cups of salt and one of bicarbonate of soda in it, which trap the toxins in your sweat so you don't reabsorb them. The toxins you sweat out in an infra red sauna are reabsorbed very rapidly unless you dash into the shower to rinse off after at most 20 minutes.

Has your daughter used infra red saunas before? I would try to find a health spa or clinic where she can book a set of sessions to see what it does for her, before splashing out on your own one.

boomer

Yes she tried far infrared sauna and found them helpful. CFS doctors seem to speak highly of them. Athene, i am going to try your suggestion. Many good ideas here. Thanks everyone.

Lou

Claimed benefits? Or evidence of benefit?

It was the detoxifying claims I looked in to, and it seemed that not only was there no evidence in support of them, but there seemed no plausible mechanism by which they could occur. This was a few years ago, so maybe there's some new evidence since then, or maybe I was mistaken, but I would advise people to look for some positive evidence rather than just trust their claims on this.

Saying that, some people enjoy saunas, and there's nothing wrong with that. It could well help you without it detoxifying heavy metals.

Think I was trying to be conservative, didn't really want to look up any studies to back up a view I've found commonly held by forum members with any expericence of far infrared saunas. Still don't, and won't. Neither will I provide any evidence that certain vitamins and minerals offer medical benefit for some with people with ME.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Because of lack of space I couldn't get a wooden sauna so I got a BioMat which has many layers but I think they are supposed to be fine for those with MCS. The top layer is cotton and they have a layer of amethyst below to amplify the FIR. They also have something in them to combat electromagnetic radiation.

Probably the wooden sauna cubicle is better but the BioMat has given me a lot of relief. Again, not a cure, but a help with symptoms and detox. I do go right from the FIR to the cool shower to prevent reabsorbing toxins and also am covered top and bottom with cotton towels to help absorb perspiration as well.

Sushi