• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

not potassium deficiency? result 4.3

suzanne

I had the potassium blood level taken and it was 4.3 (up from 3.8 last august)

I am not sure that potassium is the cause of my increase in migraines that I am experiencing. I am a bit desperte as I am having one nearly every day. Someone has suggested that I try feverfew so i might give that a go- it is said to reduce nitric oxide leels which are associated with fibromyalgia and also migraine- so fingers crossed on that one.

I am sure I have a mercury problem that runs in parallel. I say this as I have responded so severely every time I have tried any form of metal chelation. Also, I have had 30 years of a candida problem and I cannot get rid of it- that si said to go hand in hand with mercury.

So for now I am staying on the basics of fredd's protocol with 1250 of m b12 and solgar 600 a day. I will see if i can do some very low dose DMSA down the track: last time I tried it I was couch ridden from almost the instant I took it ( 3 mg doses every 3 hours)- it gave me really bad itchy skin, nausea, fatigue and headches. If I try it again I will try more like .75 mg dose ( which is a smaller dose than the autistic kids take- there must be a reason for my reaction- I am guessing it is a candida overload, but just guessing)

For the next month i am going to keep taking a small dose of the superfruits and see if it is a candida problem that is causing reactions on that as well.

globalpilot

Your tissues could still be low in potassium. oNly a small amount is in the blood. My blood potassium is always normal but my intracellular test done using a mouth swab showed it to be at the bottom of their normal range.

Another thing to consider is that if you are on a restricted diet for candida you may not be getting enough potassium in your diet. I was only getting 1200mg and the RDA is 4700.

Of course, as you say, potassium may not be causing the migraines but it may be worth a check to see you are getting enough into you everyday.

I'm sorry to hear about your sensitivity to DMSA. Have you tried DMPS ?

I had the potassium blood level taken and it was 4.3 (up from 3.8 last august)

I am not sure that potassium is the cause of my increase in migraines that I am experiencing. I am a bit desperte as I am having one nearly every day. Someone has suggested that I try feverfew so i might give that a go- it is said to reduce nitric oxide leels which are associated with fibromyalgia and also migraine- so fingers crossed on that one.

I am sure I have a mercury problem that runs in parallel. I say this as I have responded so severely every time I have tried any form of metal chelation. Also, I have had 30 years of a candida problem and I cannot get rid of it- that si said to go hand in hand with mercury.

So for now I am staying on the basics of fredd's protocol with 1250 of m b12 and solgar 600 a day. I will see if i can do some very low dose DMSA down the track: last time I tried it I was couch ridden from almost the instant I took it ( 3 mg doses every 3 hours)- it gave me really bad itchy skin, nausea, fatigue and headches. If I try it again I will try more like .75 mg dose ( which is a smaller dose than the autistic kids take- there must be a reason for my reaction- I am guessing it is a candida overload, but just guessing)

For the next month i am going to keep taking a small dose of the superfruits and see if it is a candida problem that is causing reactions on that as well.

Freddd

Your tissues could still be low in potassium. oNly a small amount is in the blood. My blood potassium is always normal but my intracellular test done using a mouth swab showed it to be at the bottom of their normal range.

Another thing to consider is that if you are on a restricted diet for candida you may not be getting enough potassium in your diet. I was only getting 1200mg and the RDA is 4700.

Of course, as you say, potassium may not be causing the migraines but it may be worth a check to see you are getting enough into you everyday.

I'm sorry to hear about your sensitivity to DMSA. Have you tried DMPS ?

Hi GLobalpilot,

Good point. The tissue levels rise and fall far more slowly than serum level. A serum level of 4.3 is marginal anyway. I have documented that my symptoms start not lower than 4.2 and a number of people have spoken up that they too have that. Also, the serum level can be plus or minus about 0.5 in a few hours and so a single measurement doesn't tell the story. With the "low" flag varied from 3.5 to 4.0 depending upon lab and country there is not a lot of agreement. Sudden onset low potassium symptoms can occur from those fluctuations alone with perfectly fine tissue levels. With a prolonged low serum level tssue level starts dropping and that is dangerous. Heart irregularities can start within 3 or 5 days of healing startup putting a severe demand on the serum level regardless of where it was measured a week before.

dannybex

Just a suggestion here Suzanne, but have you tried increasing (or taking) b2 -- riboflavin -- to see if that might help with your migraines? Perhaps the b12, etc., may be lowering your riboflavin levels...again, just a guess. (I have seen others report that b12 can lower thiamine and riboflavin.)

The dose of B2 in this study seems incredibly high, but perhaps a much smaller amount might make a difference?

http://cep.sagepub.com/content/14/5/328.short

d.

p.s. Do you have angular chelitis? I ask only because it's a classic symptom of riboflavin deficiency...