• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Atrial fibrillation

Tia

I had a friend who have this and he said that my describement of my heart beating "funny", sounded exactly like that. So I looked it up and oh yeah..It was that on the spot. How surprised was I? :eek:

It said that when left untreated (I've been to the doctors three times about this in my twenties but the EKG didn't show anything) it becomes chronic and I think that might be why I had it maybe once a month back in my twenties but then it became more frequent like a couple of times a week and now..Several times an hour. It feels like I have to cough, like I run out of air and the heart feels funny, like it beats irregularly. When I feel my heart, it beats fast, like I've been running or working out but I have been resting or doing nothing special, taking it easy, and have no anxiety. So it should beat in a normal pace.

What also have gotten worse, is my need for cathing my breath. I have to stop and lean on a streetlamp every now and then, to catch my breath when out biking s I do instead of walk, it goes faster and I'd probably faint if I had to walk. And physically I'm thin and kinda welltrained otherwise so this should absolutely not be needed.

I also wonder if the Graves disease I have (untreated, doctor didn't think it was neccesary to treat it) can attribute to this? And..if anyone else has this kind of heartcondition without being treated for it..And if so, how do you feel? I'm suspecting my very pale skin and the times when I almost faint are also linked to this condition..Maybe the heart can't pump the blood all the way through the body like it's supposed to?

(I know this post seems very blurry and messy nbut it's the brainfog..sorry about that.)

To make a long story short: I used to have weird heartbeatings as younger and maybe once a month..now, a decade later, it's a couple times an hour and I just read it fits with atrial fibrillation so anyone knows anything about this and can advice me?

My advice -- go see your doctor and describe your symptoms. If your doctor can't detect any abnormal heartbeats, request further investigation -- another EKG. EKG's don't pick up everything. I was having some strange symptoms -- shortness of breath, skipped heart beats, light headedness etc -- I had a echocardiogram done -- turned out I had mitral valve prolapse. A doctor can also order a holter monitor that monitors your hearts activity over 24 or more hours which will pick up abnormalities that may not get detected during an EKG.

Good luck.

*GG*

My advice -- go see your doctor and describe your symptoms. If your doctor can't detect any abnormal heartbeats, request further investigation -- another EKG. EKG's don't pick up everything. I was having some strange symptoms -- shortness of breath, skipped heart beats, light headedness etc -- I had a echocardiogram done -- turned out I had mitral valve prolapse. A doctor can also order a holter monitor that monitors your hearts activity over 24 or more hours which will pick up abnormalities that may not get detected during an EKG.

Good luck.

Doesn't a mitral valve prolapse require surgery?

GG