• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B Complex

Rockt

In order to determine whether or not I have a problem with folic acid, I need to order Bcom w/out folic acid.

Per Freddd's sticky on the Active Protocol:

B-complexes containing methylfolate or Metafolin instead of folic/folinic acid and methylcobalamin instead of cyanocobalamin

Douglas Laboratories B-complex with Metafolin
Pure Encapsulations B-complex plus with Metafolin
retailers vary, may become available at iherb

Could only find these at iHerb:

http://www.iherb.com/Douglas-Laboratories-Stress-B-Plus-Vitamin-B-Complex-90-Tablets/37139?at=0

Ingredients show folic acid @400mcg

http://www.iherb.com/Douglas-Laboratories-B-Complex-60-Veggie-Caps/37247?at=0

No folic acid listed. So, is this the Bcom of choice now? Has anyone tried it and if so, how has it been?

Couldn't find any Pure Encapsulation Bcom at iHerb.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
In order to determine whether or not I have a problem with folic acid, I need to order Bcom w/out folic acid.

Per Freddd's sticky on the Active Protocol:

B-complexes containing methylfolate or Metafolin instead of folic/folinic acid and methylcobalamin instead of cyanocobalamin

Douglas Laboratories B-complex with Metafolin
Pure Encapsulations B-complex plus with Metafolin
retailers vary, may become available at iherb

Could only find these at iHerb:

http://www.iherb.com/Douglas-Laboratories-Stress-B-Plus-Vitamin-B-Complex-90-Tablets/37139?at=0

Ingredients show folic acid @400mcg

http://www.iherb.com/Douglas-Laboratories-B-Complex-60-Veggie-Caps/37247?at=0

No folic acid listed. So, is this the Bcom of choice now? Has anyone tried it and if so, how has it been?

Couldn't find any Pure Encapsulation Bcom at iHerb.

Hi Rockt. I take Thorne B-complex #6 from iHerb and supplement with Inositol (which is dirt cheap). The #6 has no folic acid. I think it's okay, though if anyone has an alternative opinion, I'd be happy to hear it.

maddietod

I asked Fred about the metafolin in the Thorne B complex, and he said that 2 of those a day plus the solgar folate (800 mcg) is a good daily dose to start with, divided (not taken all at once).

If you figure out how we use this to determine whether we have the paradoxical deficienty, please tell me! I'm confused.

Rockt

Thank you, I hadn't seen the Thorne alternative.

So no problems with this particular Bcom?

maddietod

I don't know why I said Thorne. I have the Douglas Labs B-Complex, and I'm not having any problems with it. I haven't started the full protocol; all I'm using ATM is this B.

anniekim

I asked Fred about the metafolin in the Thorne B complex, and he said that 2 of those a day plus the solgar folate (800 mcg) is a good daily dose to start with, divided (not taken all at once).

If you figure out how we use this to determine whether we have the paradoxical deficienty, please tell me! I'm confused.

Hi Madie,

I might be wrong but I think the way Fredd would say you determine you have a paradoxical deficiency is by not taking folic acid for first few weeks of his mb12 and metafolin protocol , hopefully notice improvements, then add in folic acid. If you start to lose those improvements then you know it's due to the folic acid. Do you think I could be right? Also not entirely clear....

maddietod

Yes, I think you're right. I spent the day looking through B12 posts/threads, and that's exactly what he recommends.

Rockt

Thanks for the input, (and thanks for clarifying, madietodd). I'm going to try the Douglas Labs Bcom.

Pea

I had this thread bookmarked. How about this Quatrefolic?

Also why do some multi's and b-complexes contain Inosotol, and others don't?

hixxy

Hi Rockt. I take Thorne B-complex #6 from iHerb and supplement with Inositol (which is dirt cheap). The #6 has no folic acid. I think it's okay, though if anyone has an alternative opinion, I'd be happy to hear it.

Still contains a small amount of folinic acid (calcium folinate). Not sure if it's enough to be a problem.

Lala

Unfortunately Douglas labs B-complex was discontinued on iherb. So it looks like for those of us, who live overseas Swansons is the only available product.

Rockt

Unfortunately Douglas labs B-complex was discontinued on iherb. So it looks like for those of us, who live overseas Swansons is the only available product.

I found this out recently too. Disappointed becuase it's really a good product for me. I was able to get it here, though:

http://www.healthpalace.ca/

Don't know if they ship overseas, but you could contact them to find out.

Good luck.