• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

induced folate deficiency and paradoxical folate deficiency, is it the same thing?

anniekim

Am very brainfoggy, so am just skim reading Fredd's protocol.

Am I right in understanding that when Fredd uses the term 'induced folate deficiency' and 'paradoxical folate deficiency' these are referring to the same things?

And induced folate deficiency is induced by too much folic acid and folinic acid supps? Also as leafy greens have high levels of folic acid these too can cause induced folate deficiency?

Many thanks in advance.

Freddd

Am very brainfoggy, so am just skim reading Fredd's protocol.

Am I right in understanding that when Fredd uses the term 'induced folate deficiency' and 'paradoxical folate deficiency' these are referring to the same things?

And induced folate deficiency is induced by too much folic acid and folinic acid supps? Also as leafy greens have high levels of folic acid these too can cause induced folate deficiency?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Anniekim,

Induced folate deficiency can happen from glutathione, NAC, whey (un-denatured at least), a number of cancer drugs and a few others. At least some of these, glutathione/nac/whey, work via the methyl trap.

Paradoxical folate deficiency is a deficiency induced by folic acid, folinic acid and vegetable food source folate in some people. It is "paradoxical" because it is induced by oxidized forms of folate.

anniekim

Hi Anniekim,

Induced folate deficiency can happen from glutathione, NAC, whey (un-denatured at least), a number of cancer drugs and a few others. At least some of these, glutathione/nac/whey, work via the methyl trap.

Paradoxical folate deficiency is a deficiency induced by folic acid, folinic acid and vegetable food source folate in some people. It is "paradoxical" because it is induced by oxidized forms of folate.

Thanks Fredd for that clarification

Hi Anniekim,

This is interesting because I would assume that if one could not tolerate folinic acid, then you would have equal problems with the folinic acid in many green vegetables. I eat boatloads of greens, including the leafy greens like kale and chard which are supposed to have lots of folinic acid, and I don't have any problems. Anybody have thoughts on this?

Freddd

Only some unknown poercentage of folks with folic acid problems have folinic acid problems. SO it is possible to have no problem woth folinic acid or veggies but lots of problems with folic. If a person can't tolerate folinic, then it appears that they also can't tolerate folic but not the other way around.

Also, in my case, 800mg of folinic PLUS veggie folate was a terrible thing. Veggie folate by itself was an on agan off again thing becasue of the meat folate and methylfoalte. That probably is a total quantity thing.

And NONE of the folate related problems were anywhere as severe as that from glutathione.