• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Allergic reaction to food following antibiotics

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Hi - has anyone else experienced this. Just finished a course of antibiotics and this morning suffered a severe reaction to a piece of Galia melon, my chest tightened and I was coughing for a few hours before I realised what it was, I do suffer from many food intolerances and MCS but this was the worst reaction I've had in 4 years, I've been eating melons, different varieties for some time and been okay - but today was scary, I did what I learnt from the experts, took some tri-salts and vit c every 4hrs and feel better somewhat now but still have a hot chest, but nothing like this morning. Can anyone explain why? did the a/biotics change something? Be grateful for any info/ maybe I should tell my GP anyway later on in the week.

Esther12

I got a funny stomach from anti-biotics recently. It also led to catarrh going down the back of my throat, and some coughing trouble. I think it would be more likely that they gave you an unsettled stomach, rather than led to an allergic reaction.

A lot of antibiotics can cause nausea, but I'm not sure of the mechanics of it. An unsettled stomach can lead to stomach acid irritating other areas too.

Mine got better as soon as I finished the antibiotics, so hopefully you will be able to quickly improve too.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Esther it was a reaction to the melon, I did have several a few years ago so I know what they are, I had difficulty breathing, chest goes tight and you get a funny cough, sometimes producing mucus, my stomach was okay, my throat is hot and tight now as well, and I've still got the cough. Horrible really, but I do think the a/biotics have caused the reaction.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Esther it was a reaction to the melon, I did have several a few years ago so I know what they are, I had difficulty breathing, chest goes tight and you get a funny cough, sometimes producing mucus, my stomach was okay, my throat is hot and tight now as well, and I've still got the cough. Horrible really, but I do think the a/biotics have caused the reaction.

Melons often carry mold if that is any clue.

Sushi

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Sushi I had read that so I've been washing the melons with an antibac hand wash and rinsing thoroughly before cutting open, but you may be right, I am very susceptible to mold and maybe that was not enough, do you think the a/biotics may have changed my reaction 'status'?

rlc

Hi maryb, antibiotics kill the good bacteria in the gut, which can leave people unable to process foods that they could before, which can cause allergic type reactions if you take some probiotics to replace the good bacteria it should soon solve the problem, it works really well for me. Id stay away from melon for a while just in case, defiantly tell your GP about it just in case there is something else going on.

All the best

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Sushi I had read that so I've been washing the melons with an antibac hand wash and rinsing thoroughly before cutting open, but you may be right, I am very susceptible to mold and maybe that was not enough, do you think the a/biotics may have changed my reaction 'status'?

No idea there! But I think melons may have mold inside as well as outside.

Sushi

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks ric - yes something has changed and not in a good way, drat just when I was thinking ahead to being a bit higher up the ladder:(

maryb

iherb code TAK122
No idea there! But I think melons may have mold inside as well as outside.

Sushi

NO - well I didn't know that, that'll teach me, I'll never touch them again, well that is if I survive this one:)

Esther12

It does still sound a bit like some sort of acid reflux sort of thing. It could be that the antibiotics and melon combined in some way?

kaffiend

The probiotic called Align cured most of my food issues within a day or two of starting it. It contains only a single strain of bacteria (b. infantis) so if you do try a probiotic, you might also take one with other strains for a week or so.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks to everyone especially Sushi, for your replies, I do feel better today, my throat has gone down and my chest is not as tight, my previous experience is it'll probably take a few days before it disappears, I just hope it hasn't jump started reactions, its taken me 4 years to get myself to here, being able to tolerate many more foods, from an initial starting point of just chicken,salad and a few vegetables literally. I'm going to call into our local pharmacist to see if he can give me something to take if it happens again, if not I will reluctantly go to the GPs,it was a scary experience and I feel it probably needed some treatment.
kaffiend - I will look at Align, just got some VSL$3 to take but its all good info to check out - thanks

sianrecovery

hi maryb

What a nasty experience, I'm sorry you experienced it. I just wanted to make the point that it may not be the antibiotics - it might well be, but it might a freestanding reaction to a particular chemical on the melon.
Were did you source the VSL13?

Tony Mach

Show me the evidence.
As far as I know, microbes are an important part of the gut ("the good bacteria") and antibiotics adversely affects them all, whether good or bad. You should talk to your doctor about getting a quality (medical grade) pro-biotic, to improve the gut flora after the anti-biotics.

Another thing you could do is look into fermented food products (like kraut), the fermentation is done by bacteria that are supposed to be good though I don't know if it would help.