• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PEM Vs PENE

Valentijn

One has the widely despised word "malaise" in it. They both describe the same symptom of ME/CFS, but many people think "PENE" is a more accurate and precise name (myself included).

PEM is Post Exertional Malaise

PENE is Post Exertional Neuroimmune Exhaustion from the ICC criteria:

A.Post exertional neuroimmune exhaustion (PENEpen-e):Compulsory

This cardinal feature is a pathological inability to produce sufficient energy on demand with prominent symptoms primarily in
the neuroimmune regions. Characteristics are as follows:

1. Marked, rapid physical and ? or cognitive fatigability in response to exertion,which may be minimal such as activities
of daily living or simple mental tasks, can be debilitating and cause a relapse.

2. Post exertional symptom exacerbation: e.g. acuteflu-like symptoms,pain and worsening of other symptoms.

3. Postexertional exhaustion may occur mmediately after activity or be delayed by hours or days.

4. Recovery period is prolonged,usually taking 24 h or longer. A relapse can last days,weeks or longer.

5. Low threshold of physical and mental fatigability (lack of stamina) results in a substantial reduction in pre-illness
activity level.

You can see the full text here:
http://www.meassociation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ICC-FOR-ME-October-2011.pdf

svetoslav80

This disease doesn't have luck with its medical terms. First this stupid sounding Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, now PENE, which means penis in spanish, and I'm not sure if I should use it.

Seven7

Seven
Hehehehe. We tried to play with the word on how to use it, had a good laugh, no matter how much you try, there is no way you can take anything you say seriously with the word w/o having a sexual connotation.