• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Relationship of Glutathione with Glutathione Peroxidase

Hello

I was looking back at my mitochondrial function test results that I received from Dr Myhill about two years ago. It includes results for red cell glutathione and red cell glutathione peroxidase, which were 1.73mmol/l (normal range 1.7-2.6) and 50 U/gHb (normal range 67-90), respectively.

If I understand correctly, the glutathione peroxidase is made from glutathione and selenium. The protocol recommended to me by Dr Myhill did include extra selenium, but I never took it consistently because there were so many other supplements to take.

Since I am considering beginning the Methylation protocol, I wondered if it would be beneficial for me to take extra selenium or if there is sufficient amount in the General Vitamin Neurological Formula?

Thanks!

richvank

Hello

I was looking back at my mitochondrial function test results that I received from Dr Myhill about two years ago. It includes results for red cell glutathione and red cell glutathione peroxidase, which were 1.73mmol/l (normal range 1.7-2.6) and 50 U/gHb (normal range 67-90), respectively.

If I understand correctly, the glutathione peroxidase is made from glutathione and selenium. The protocol recommended to me by Dr Myhill did include extra selenium, but I never took it consistently because there were so many other supplements to take.

Since I am considering beginning the Methylation protocol, I wondered if it would be beneficial for me to take extra selenium or if there is sufficient amount in the General Vitamin Neurological Formula?

Thanks!

Hi, zenzero.

Glutathione peroxidase is an enzyme made up of amino acids and selenium, and it uses glutathione as a reducing agent.

Given your low glutathione peroxidase activity, I think that supplementing additional selenium would be a good idea. This is particularly important if you have amalgam fillings in your teeth or have been consuming a significant amount of fish near the top of the marine food chain (including tuna), because if so, you many have a significant body burden of mercury, and that binds selenium very strongly. The upper limit of selenium supplementation recommended by the U.S. Institute of Medicine is 400 micrograms per day.

Best regards,

Rich

Thanks for the info Rich. I have two amalgam fillings. One I had in April 2010 and the other I had just a couple of months ago. I am fond of tuna and eat quite a lot of it because it is 'healthy' (apart from the mercury), so I fill definitely take some extra selenium.

For a couple of months before I had my first filling my CFS symptoms improved a lot. I had been following Dr Myhill's protocol for three months and had been strict about taking preemptive rest. Then in the April my toothache flared up and I had my first filling and I haven't been able to return to that level of improvement since.

I have no idea if the filling has anything to do with this, or if it is just a coincidence. I am considering having my fillings changed for the plastic ones, but my doctor doesn't think mercury in fillings is a problem (he says I probably get more mercury from tuna). Also, I have read that some of the plastic fillings can mess with your endocrine system, something to do with bisphenol A.

On a side issue, it really bothers me that I have fillings at all. I used to be so proud that I had looked after my teeth and had no fillings. And now I am annoyed / irritated with myself for not taking better care. I tell other people about this and they just laugh and say they have a mouth full of amalgam and they are fine and that I shouldn't worry about two little fillings and that I am being paranoid.

I used to be so fit and healthy and active but now I am a wreck :(

richvank

Hi, zenzero.

In my opinion, it's best to get the detox system working more normally by lifting the partial methylation cycle block before considering whether to remove amalgams. The process of removing them, even when done by a savvy dentist, can expose the person to enough mercury vapor that it can make them ill for quite a while. I've read numerous accounts from people who did that. Two isn't very many, as others have said, though people differ a lot in their ability to detox mercury, for genomic reasons. You could indeed have a significant body burden of methylmercury, given that you have consumed a lot of tuna.

I would suggest trying the methylation protocol with extra selenium, to see how it goes. If glutathione will not come up, you may have to consider direct treatment to take out mercury. If glutathione will come up, your mitochondrial function should improve.

Best regards,

Rich

I noticed that there are two different kinds of selenium supplement, the mineral and the amino acid (L-Selenomethionine). Would it be preferable for me to use the L-Selenomethionine since it has a better absorption rate or would that give me too much selenium?

richvank

I noticed that there are two different kinds of selenium supplement, the mineral and the amino acid (L-Selenomethionine). Would it be preferable for me to use the L-Selenomethionine since it has a better absorption rate or would that give me too much selenium?

Hi, zenzero.

The other form is faster acting, so I prefer it. Selenomethionine tends to get incorporated into proteins as though it were ordinary methionine, and until the proteins are recycled, the selenium may not be available where it is specifically needed.

Best regards,

Rich