• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 injections - how regularly do people inject

Hello

I'm having B12 injections myself via a private clinic (Hydroxycobalamin).

I started with an injection every 2 weeks but not seen any benefit, so i'm moving onto weekly injections to see if this helps.

I was wondering how often others inject B12 in order to get any benefit?

Would be nice to hear what everyone does.

Ottiebow

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hello

I started with an injection every 2 weeks but not seen any benefit, so i'm moving onto weekly injections to see if this helps.

Ottiebow

Hi,

What dose are you taking? Even once a week isn't much. My doc recommends every day (about 3mg), or 5 mg three times a week, but that is too much for me so I do a couple of mg 3 times a week.

Best,
Sushi

Sorry I forgot to day I have 1mg only, I know this isn't much.

When you say 5mg three times a week is too much, how do you know, what happens?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Ottiebow, i self inject Methyl B12 - as prescribed to me by my M.E doctor. She prescribed i x daily 500mcg, but after about 10 days i started experiencing severe excitotoxicity, so i have reduced it to 250mcg every other day, i intend to try taking a bit more to see how it goes. WEhen i was taking it every day bizarely i was getting a lot of benefit from it as well as the side effects, the benefits have not been so great since i reduced the dose.
Take care, Justy.

richvank

Hello

Ottiebow

Hi, Ottiebow.

You might get more benefit from the B12 if you also take active forms of folate (folinic acid or methylfolate). The combination of high-dose B12 with active folate is the essence of the methylation protocols, which are helping many people who have ME/CFS.

Best regards,

Rich

Jenny

Hi Ottiebow

I've replied to your pm. Briefly:

1mg Hydoxy once a week injected

5mg Methyl daily sublingual

800 mcg methylfolate daily

No improvement over last 3 months with all these - did weekly Hydoxy injected a couple of years ago, with Folapro - no improvement.

Jenny

baccarat

I've been on sublingual B12 Hydroxy 2mg per day and methylfolate 200mcg + folinic acid 200mcg as per Rich's simplified protocol.
It's been working better than when I used to have B12 injections of 1mg.
In my case the methylfolate in particular seems to help the most whilst I don't tolerate much B12 methycobalamin for reasons I don't understand.
I've also been taking milk thistle and vitamin c.

Sushi

Sorry I forgot to day I have 1mg only, I know this isn't much.

When you say 5mg three times a week is too much, how do you know, what happens?

Hi, I think I answered it chat, but take note of Rich's suggestion. You are likely to have much better results--but of course start very slowly.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Athene

ihateticks.me
I started on 5000mcg injections twice a week, and graduallly increased it to one every day. For a longtime this was what I needed to funciton properly, and skipping a day would make me feel awful.
Then I went through a period where I felt bad all the time, reduced the injections and now I need exactly one a month.
Obviously this is a trmendous reduction in dose and it makes no sense, but for me, the take home lesson is, you need to experiment to find the exact right amount for you... too much or too little feels bad in exactly the same way. And once you find the right dose for you, at some point in the future, it could change.

I was injecting myself so it was easier to vary as I needed, but if you are dependent on the clinic for injections, it might be a good idea to fiddle around with tablets to adjust the dose?

sianrecovery

I have been having daily methyl B12 injections from Dr Myhill for eight months. The dose has varied. Its helped. I have now started Rich's protocol as well, and am optimistic. My experience is similar to Justy's in that during some periods of that time the injections seemed to simultaneously help and provoke 'detox' reactions. I also inject magnesium

silicon

Apparently Dr. Cheney recommends fairly high doses of hydroxy B12. For what it's worth, I copied down the following info from an old yahoo group post, from one of Cheney's patients (but have never myself acted on it, although I would like to experiment with it in the future):

"The hydroxy dose is 30 mg a day, spread over three SQ injections. (wake up, middle of "day", bedtime)

I get 60 ml at a time in two 30 ml vials. The larger the vial the less expensive.

Cheney prescribes a concentration of 30/mg per ml; inject 1 cc (equals 1 ml) in three divided doses each day"

This Cheney patient also said that CollegePharmacy.com had the best price.

thanks for this, I will gradually increase dose (as per the clinic's recommendation) I am self injecting so i'm not reliant on the clinc. I don't feel so worried about upping the dose now as I can see many of you are on much larger amounts.

It's been really interesting reading your replies.

Sianrecovery - I am also injecting magnesium but not so often, once every 2 weeks.

I feel like a pin cushion!!!

thanks for this, I will gradually increase dose (as per the clinic's recommendation) I am self injecting so i'm not reliant on the clinc. I don't feel so worried about upping the dose now as I can see many of you are on much larger amounts.

It's been really interesting reading your replies.

Sianrecovery - I am also injecting magnesium but not so often, once every 2 weeks.

I feel like a pin cushion!!!

Athene

ihateticks.me
I feel like a pin cushion too!

Do you always inject into the buttocks, or other places?

I read that you can do IM injections of B12 into the thigh. Has anyone tried that? I'm just wondering if I can give my poor old bot a rest!

Athene

ihateticks.me
That's my problem too!
I went on an intensive cake-eating campaign a year ago to fatten up, as I just couldn't find enough greenfield buttock space to stick the needle into. But the sugar upset my tummy too much. (My plan "backfired").
So now I just have to live with a blue backside like a baboon.

Sushi

That's my problem too!
I went on an intensive cake-eating campaign a year ago to fatten up, as I just couldn't find enough greenfield buttock space to stick the needle into. But the sugar upset my tummy too much. (My plan "backfired").

I do subcut pulling up a pinch of tummy fat (also hard to find! Just have to stay 2 inches from the navel). Then I go straight down with a tiny half inch needle. This is how my doc taught us. The subcut acts like a time release and with a tiny needle there are no bruises and you hardly feel it.

Sushi

richvank

That's my problem too!

Hi, Athene.

One of the reasons I so enjoy reading your posts is the "colorful" way you express things! (Pun very much intended!)

Rich

Athene

ihateticks.me
I'm glad you appreciate the way I manage to lower the tone of almost any conversation, Rich!

Sushi, I wanted to try doing subcutaneous injections. The tiny syringes for diabetics available in Italy only hold 1ml of liquid and my B12 is 2ml, which means the only syringes I can use are the big 5ml ones with a fat needle about an inch and a half long. (And they all have irritating brand names which translate as "Painless," "no Pain," "Feelgood" etc.)
So anyway, I am not sure if I could make it work....

Sushi

Sushi, I wanted to try doing subcutaneous injections. The tiny syringes for diabetics available in Italy only hold 1ml of liquid and my B12 is 2ml, which means the only syringes I can use are the big 5ml ones with a fat needle about an inch and a half long. (And they all have irritating brand names which translate as "Painless," "no Pain," "Feelgood" etc.)
So anyway, I am not sure if I could make it work....

Can you get a stronger dilution of B12? I think I have one that is 10 mg per ml, so I can use a tiny syringe.

Those big fat ones are definitely bruisers! I inject 3 things subcut so I'm really glad to use tiny needles. For one injection I have to give 2 ml, but I use BD brand syringes that let you lock in different size needles. So I draw out of the bottle with a big needle, then change to a tiny one to inject.

Sushi