• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: Dr. Nancy Klimas Forms Neuro-Immune Institute on ME/CFS at Nova Southeastern University

:D OMG:victory: OMG:D I am so excited..can you tell?:tongue:

It is indeed time to use those happy smilies :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think this is past due for Dr. Klimas and other CFS researcher/physicians. Wouldn't it be great to see Dr. Peterson with his own center and Dr. Bateman and others? (Check out Corinnes latest blog for Dr. Peterson's thoughts regarding that.) If the Rituximab findings get validated...if Lipkin's study turns up something....if other studies keep getting positive results - at some point these doc/researchers may become something of a hot commodity......How lovely it would be to see them get the recognition they deserve after years of hard work in the trenches.....and how great for us for them to the funds they need to do their work. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Who better to lead a neuroimmune Institute in Florida? She's well respected, she knows EVERBODY, she's well liked - I think the Institute will become a hub not only for research but for thinking creatively about ME/CFS. I've always been impressed by how creative a thinker she is. She likes to move boldly as well - which I think is good for this field. I'll be she'll be starting initiatives left and right that will benefit the ME/CFS community.

Cort - definately worried about your comment "well liked"- not the purpose of science. But what is happening now is "b....." marvellous - ME is the THING not much to do with personal likes or dislikes. Actually nothing.

Cort - definately worried about your comment "well liked"- not the purpose of science. But what is happening now is "b....." marvellous - ME is the THING not much to do with personal likes or dislikes. Actually nothing.

Understood Enid. What I meant is that she forms partnerships really well and I think that will encourage people to participate with her at the Institute and support her. Its kind of a secondary thing relative to the Science but I think it helps :cool:

Cort, do you know how much money NOVA is dedicating to this? I know this would make Dr. Klimas' work easier, fewer obstacles. More staff will make a difference. And the connections with scientists at U of M continuing is good also. I figure she is in the middle of some research now. I hope that is not interrupted. I share your hope, Cort, that these scientists finally get the respect they so richly deserve. This added to the other centers and private foundation donations recently tells me we are going mainstream. One day, we will say, "I had ME/CFS before ME/CFS was cool." While I am sure we will see the Klimas research get a boost, I am more hopeful we get the bonus of our illness taught in NOVA as part of the curriculum. Oh, what joyous results that would bring. I also hope this will attract other universities to do the same. The more centers like this, the more universities will want to create centers like this, if it is run well. I have been thinking of contacting University of Alabama in Birmingham (UAB) which includes a hospital, a college and research institutes. But we don't have a doctor or researcher here to pursue it and no support group to push it. Tina

Not being from the US, I have a question. What ring does "College of Osteopathic Medicine" have in the States? Does it mean it's more of an alternative medicine institute? Does that bring the status down in any way?

Cort, do you know how much money NOVA is dedicating to this? I know this would make Dr. Klimas' work easier, fewer obstacles. More staff will make a difference. And the connections with scientists at U of M continuing is good also. I figure she is in the middle of some research now. I hope that is not interrupted. I share your hope, Cort, that these scientists finally get the respect they so richly deserve. This added to the other centers and private foundation donations recently tells me we are going mainstream. One day, we will say, "I had ME/CFS before ME/CFS was cool."

While I am sure we will see the Klimas research get a boost, I am more hopeful we get the bonus of our illness taught in NOVA as part of the curriculum. Oh, what joyous results that would bring. I also hope this will attract other universities to do the same.

The more centers like this, the more universities will want to create centers like this, if it is run well. I have been thinking of contacting University of Alabama in Birmingham (UAB) which includes a hospital, a college and research institutes. But we don't have a doctor or researcher here to pursue it and no support group to push it. Tina

I'm asking - but haven't gotten an answer yet on the money. From emails I've gathered that the commitment is quite substantial. I believe 5 new faculty positions will be created and one new clinic.

I like that we had ME/CFS before ME/CFS was cool

I think success does breed success. There are alot of people with CFS in the US and elsewhere plus there are even more people with FM and allied disorders and I'm guessing there are academics all over the US who would love to do something similar. Maybe someone will show up in Alabama? Or maybe someone from there will intern at the new Institute??

I'll bet the Stanford Montoya Initiative was important as researchers can say...if STANFORD is doing this - why can't we? :cool:

Not being from the US, I have a question. What ring does "College of Osteopathic Medicine" have in the States? Does it mean it's more of an alternative medicine institute? Does that bring the status down in any way?

I actually don't know. In my mind its a good thing as Osteopaths tend to have a broader orientation than traditional MD's and my understanding is that they are equivalent to MD's in the US and can prescribe drugs and treat patients just as any physician does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathic_medicine_in_the_United_States

Osteopathic medicine is a branch of the medical profession in the United States. Osteopathic physicians, known as DOs, are licensed to practice medicine and surgery in all 50 states and are recognized in forty-seven other countries, including most Canadian provinces.

Frontier physician Andrew Taylor Still founded the profession as a radical rejection of the prevailing system of medical thought of the 19th century. Still's techniques relied heavily on the manipulation of joints and bones to diagnose and treat illness, and he called his practices "osteopathy". By the middle of the 20th century, the profession had moved closer to mainstream medicine, adopting modern public health and biomedical principles. American "osteopaths" became "osteopathic physicians", gradually achieving full practice rights as medical doctors in all 50 states, including serving in the US armed forces as physicians.[1]

In the 21st century, the training of osteopathic physicians in the United States is very similar to that of their MD counterparts.[2] Osteopathic physicians attend 4 years of medical school followed by at least 3 years of residency. They use all conventional methods of diagnosis and treatment. Though still trained in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM),[3] the modern derivative of Still's techniques,[4][5] a minority of osteopathic physicians use it in actual practice.[6]

Osteopathic medicine is considered by some in the United States to be both a profession and a social movement,[7][8] especially for its historically greater emphasis on primary care and holistic health. However, any distinction between the MD and the DO professions has eroded steadily; diminishing numbers of DO graduates enter primary care fields,[9] fewer use OMM, holistic patient care models are increasingly taught at MD schools, and increasing numbers of DO graduates choose to train in non-osteopathic residency programs.[10][11][12]

NSU is not Harvard but I think Harvard would be a big stretch at this point. My guess is that CFS research Institutes will mostly find homes at less well known Institutions such as Univ of Nevada at Reno and NSU and then move up from there.

This is *outstanding* news. I can't wait to see everything that she has in store in the days ahead.

Any words on Dr. Klimas' VA and private clinics? Will personnel from the old clinic be following her to the new clinic?

This is *outstanding* news. I can't wait to see everything that she has in store in the days ahead.

Any words on Dr. Klimas' VA and private clinics? Will personnel from the old clinic be following her to the new clinic?

For me the clinic picture is a little confused. There are plans to open another clinic in Broward County I think - I'm really unclear as to where the clinic will be...if there will be a main clinic or a couple of satellite ones or what....

Great article Cort - very exciting! She is such a dynamo, and fascinating to watch her in action. I would love if we could all sign a card for her (similar to the Lipkin card) - would anyone be willing to get one set-up and started? I'm something of a techno-phobe. :confused:

A card would be nice: a one-click button for donations would be even better. Is the new Institute set up to take direct donations from the public yet? It's year-end; they could maybe scoop up a few dollars at this festive time of tax-deductible donations...