• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

1 out of 5 cancer cases worldwide are caused by infection

Waverunner

I'm just listening to the new TWiV episode (160 - Moore tumor viruses). It's really interesting. 1 out of 5 cancer cases worldwide are caused by infection, especially in immunodeficient persons. The bulk of the tumor mass is created through non proliferating viruses. Lack of replication is a key component of tumorgenesis. There are 7 known tumor viruses and the leading cause of cancer in south-east Asia for Nasopharyngeal carcinoma for example is: EBV. Unfortunately this 1 in 5 number is not represented by the number of people working on these infections in the field of oncology. I think we encounter this problem when we look at most viruses in general. There is not enough research and there is a lack of knowledge in the medical field.

http://www.virology.ws/2011/12/04/twiv-160-moore-tumor-viruses/

Esther12

Thanks.

I got in the habit of listening to that twiv for a while, but have fallen out of it recently. It was often interesting and entertaining though. I might give this one a listen.

Waverunner

This episode was very good. I never knew that infections have so much influence on cancer.

Hip

Unfortunately this 1 in 5 number is not represented by the number of people working on these infections in the field of oncology. I think we encounter this problem when we look at most viruses in general. There is not enough research and there is a lack of knowledge in the medical field.

I totally agree, Waverunner. The impact that common viruses, bacteria, etc, have on human health is vastly under researched. Though there are some leading-edge thinkers (like Paul W Ewald) that believe everyday pathogens will turn out to be the major cause of most common diseases.

So it's not just in the area of chronic fatigue syndrome that microbial causes are being ignored or under researched. Medical researchers need to wake up.

Here is a list of microbes that have been linked to common everyday human diseases:
List of Chronic Human Diseases Linked To Infectious Pathogens

Last edited:

Waverunner

Great list. There are so many chronic diseases which are connected to infection, I can't believe it.

Abha

Abha
Hi Hip,
I couldn't open the link you gave.How can I get around this?
Thanks

Enid

Must say I'm quite surprised only 1 in 5 cancer cases are caused by infection as the article states.

Esther12

That podcast was really long! 1hr 40.

It had a lot of interesting stuff in it... although made me feel less happy about having had glandular fever! EBV seems to get mentioned as a cause for every health problem ever.

Hip

Must say I'm quite surprised only 1 in 5 cancer cases are caused by infection as the article states.

I think that means 1 in 5 cancers are proven to be caused by infectious pathogens. But in future, as more research is performed, it will probably be found that a much higher percentage of cancers is actually caused by infectious pathogens perhaps 2 of 3 three, or even higher.

Hi Hip, I couldn't open the link you gave.How can I get around this? Thanks

I've fixed the gremlin in the link now.