• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DAOSiN for treating food intolerance?

sensing progress

Received a Swanson's Vitamin catalog in the mail yesterday and on the front cover was a line that read "DAOSiN helps manage food intolerance". There is a 2-page interview with a researcher/dietician named Dr. Janice Joneja. Has anyone ever tried this supplement? It is supposed to help your body breakdown excess histamine which is occurring in many types of foods. I don't know if it's correct but I associate histamine intolerance with moodiness/irritability which I seem to get after eating a lot of different foods. It would be nice if this really works. More info here: http://www.foodintoleranceawareness.org/useful_daosin.htm

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Received a Swanson's Vitamin catalog in the mail yesterday and on the front cover was a line that read "DAOSiN helps manage food intolerance". There is a 2-page interview with a researcher/dietician named Dr. Janice Joneja. Has anyone ever tried this supplement? It is supposed to help your body breakdown excess histamine which is occurring in many types of foods. I don't know if it's correct but I associate histamine intolerance with moodiness/irritability which I seem to get after eating a lot of different foods. It would be nice if this really works. More info here: http://www.foodintoleranceawareness.org/useful_daosin.htm

It didn't help me but some ME docs do recommend it so it must be helping some.

Sushi

ukxmrv

I don't know if I have high histamine and I don't know how bad my food allergies are now. Years ago I had allergy testing in a hospital allergy clinic by blood and skin pricks. Then years of EPD and other treatment for those allergies.

Tried the Daosin just out of interest. Didn't see any effects at all.

sensing progress

I don't know if I have high histamine and I don't know how bad my food allergies are now. Years ago I had allergy testing in a hospital allergy clinic by blood and skin pricks. Then years of EPD and other treatment for those allergies.

Tried the Daosin just out of interest. Didn't see any effects at all.

Daosin is for food intolerances, not allergies.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Yes I have used it and it did help. It works for allergies, type EgE, IgG and IgM, all of which produce and increase in histamine as part of the allergic reaction. When it comes to food allergies which give you abdominal symptoms rather than respiratory ones, they are often IgG or IgM mediated and may not involve IgE. The old term for this, still used by many doctors and patients is intolerance rather than allergy, but that is now out of date as the WHO has now redefined all three immune system mediated reactions as allergies. An intolerance is a separate issue that involves problems with absorption, enzyme systems etc but not the immune system.

Daosin works on all types of allergies, not only food ones. It takes at least half an hour for you to feel an effect, so if you are having a severe allergy you get best results from taking an antihistamine, which blocks the histamine receptor sites but leaves your body to do all the removal of the histamine, and a Daosin at hte same time, to help with the mop-up operation.

daosin also works on foods that naturally themselves contain high levels of histamine but which you may not be allergic to. There are websites where you can download lists of these foods. Sensitivity to such foods is called histamine intolerance or pseudo-allergy to foods. Lots of people think their kids are allergic to strawberries becuase they have a lot of histamine.

The body gets rid of histamine by two methods, methylation and diamine oxidase. Daosin is a bio-identical diamine oxidase, which means it will get rid of about half the histamine and your own methylation processes have to do the rest. Therefore if your methylation is not working well your benefit from Daosin wil be limited.

Also, of course, it cannot make any difference to other intolerances such as lactose intolerance, fructore malabsorption or many other things that could be causing you problems. If you take it without knowing the whole picture you may not feel much difference.

Daosin is expensive and although I took it for a long time and always keep a pack for emergencies, I don't buy it regularly because it works out at about one Euro per tablet and I can get nearly the same result by taking ordinary antihistamine. If you are getting a bad reaction you need 2 Daosin tablets, not one.

I would suggest that you try taking an antihistamine tablet evvery tme you get bad tummy ache or other histamine symptoms and if that makes a difference to your quality of life, splash out on some Daosin and see how much further it can take you. If the antihistamine doesn't make a big difference, then Daosin won't either.

Definitely read this research article on histamine intolerance as it is the bet source of info on the web for foods that cause histamine intolerance symptoms, and all the possible symptoms of histamine excess, many of which may surprise you and many of which overlap closely with CFS symptoms (POTS, tiredness etc)
http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/5/1185.full

BTW All this info I have given is from KDM's nutritionist, who is extremely knowledgeable on allergies and histamine issues, and from the article I linked to above.

sensing progress

Thanks for that tip, I'll see if they post to Italy. It would be half the price I pay to get them from Belgium. :)

no problem. let me know if you do order from them, would be curious to hear if they are as effective as the other brand you've used (they should be but you never know)

Timaca

Glad it's working for you.....I'm still deciding if it works for me....not if my histamine bucket is on the full side. How many do you take and what do you eat when you take it?