• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Beta Glucan as surrogate for GcMAF /macrophage activator?, any experiences, opinions?

baccarat

I'm very interested in GcMAF but at present can't afford it. So I have been looking for something that would work in a similar way.

I'm particularly intrigues by the fact that Glucans activate macrophages, which seems to be the way GcMAF works. They also seem to stimulate NK cells. However I'm no expert and would appreciate any input explanation regarding this aspect.

My question is, by taking Beta glucans, can I achieve the same macrophage activation as taking GcMAF?

This is some of the info on glucans I found on this non-commercial site.

http://betaglucan.org/

Research Overview

An Arsenal of Immune Defense: Czop, Joyce K., The Role of Beta.-Glucan Receptors on Blood and Tissue Leukocytes in Phagocytosis and Metabolic Activation. Pathology and Immunopathology Research; 5:286-296. Harvard Medical School. 1986.

Quote: the presence of a particulate activator can rapidly initiate assembly and amplification of a host defense system involving humoral and cellular interactions with B-glucans. Animals pretreated with purified glucan particles are subsequently more resistant to bacterial, viral, fungal, and protozoan challenge, reject antigenically incompatible grafts more rapidly and produce higher titers of serum antibodies to specific antigens.

Administration of glucan particles stimulatesproliferation of macrophages and increases in phagocytic and secretory activities of macrophages. A cascade of interactions and reactions initiated by macrophage regulatory factors can be envisioned to occur and to eventuate in conversion of the glucan-treated host to an arsenal of defense.

Activation of Immune Defense Against Infectious Disease: Hunter K, Gault R, Jordan F, Mode of Action of B-Glucan Immunopotentiators-Research Summary Release, Department of Microbiology, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Jan 2001.

Quote: MG Beta Glucan has been shown to enhance the envelopment and digestion (phagocytosis) of pathogenic microorganisms that cause infectious diseaseThe Beta-1,3/1,6 glucans additionally enhance the ability of macrophages, one of the most important cells in the immune system, to kill tumor cells. Laboratory studies have revealed the new MG Glucan is significantly effective at activating macrophages, and via the macrophages, the entire immune cascade including T-Cells and B-Cells.

Immune Response Enhancement: Meira, D.A., et al; The Use of Glucan as Immunostimulant in the Treatment of Paracoccidioidomycosis; Am J. Trop Med Hyg 55(5), 496-503; 1996. Dept of Trop Dis, Dept of Microbio, State U of Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Quote: glucan enhances the immune response through stimulation of macrophages by increasing their number, size, and function, stimulates secretion of lysozyme and TNF by activated macrophages, increases the phagocytosis of antigens, activates the formation of granulocyte and monocyte colonies, and factors increased activity of T and B lymphocytes, as well as complement activation."

Viral Pathogens: Hunter K, Gault R, Jordan F; Mode of Action of B-Glucan Immunopotentiators-Research Summary Release, Department of Microbiology, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Jan 2001.
Quote: MG Glucan [micronized glucan insoluble particulate] has been shown to enhance the envelopment and digestion (phagocytosis) of pathogenic microorganisms [viral, bacterial, fungal, etc.] that cause infectious diseaseLaboratory studies have revealed the new MG Glucan is significantly effective at activating Macrophages, and via the Macrophages, the entire immune cascade including T-Cells and B-Cells.

jstefl

I started on a combination of beta glucan and transfer factor a couple of months ago. I know of someone who had significant improvements using these along with some other supplements.

It is too early to tell how much it will help, but I will report back later with any results.

john

Adster

I'm trying it at the moment. I've tried two brands, one seems a lot better than the other. It clears my sinus inflamation really quickly and improves my gut function. Soon I hope to experiment with much higher doses and pulse them. Transfer Point and Beta Glucan 300 seem like the brands to go for, even if they are much dearer.

Transfer Factor seems to irritate my gut and sinuses so I don't think it's good for me.

hixxy

I'm trying it at the moment. I've tried two brands, one seems a lot better than the other. It clears my sinus inflamation really quickly and improves my gut function. Soon I hope to experiment with much higher doses and pulse them. Transfer Point and Beta Glucan 300 seem like the brands to go for, even if they are much dearer.

Transfer Factor seems to irritate my gut and sinuses so I don't think it's good for me.

Where'd you source yours from Adster?

Their Australian ordering link on their website points to a UK website. How silly.

adreno

PR activist
Hope they put all their effort into their product. Sure didn't go into the web site! I'm sure you'll keep us posted on your Beta Glucan experience??

Yeah, their website looks horrible, lol. They have a free sample, but I suspect only for US customers.

I found a source quite a lot cheaper than their website:

http://www.mynaturalmarket.com/immunition-extra-strength-nsc-100-mg-beta-glucan-60-capsules.html

I'll keep you guys updated. I live in Europe, so it might take several weeks before I receive it.

Adster

I just ordered a bottle of the Transfer Point brand from a store in Australia, $75 for 60 500mg (plus $20 express shipping). I think it's one of the better ones out there.

If this site http://www.beta-glucan-13d.com/ is to be believed, the NSC 100 one isn't so great. I don't know who to believe though!

hixxy

All these sites look so dodgy. Surely one of the big nutraceuticals companies manufacturers decent beta glucan??

Adster

All we seem to have to go on is that JANA study. My very limited trials so far put the transfer point/beta glucan 300 in front of the Jarrows one. I've only tried the Jarrows once though. I should give it another shot I guess.