• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Daily Mail - ME after cervical cancer jab

Kate_UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2061267/Schoolgirl-left-waking-coma-sleeps-23-hours-day-severe-reaction-cervical-cancer-jab.html

A schoolgirl Lucy Hinks has been left in a 'waking coma', too exhausted to open her eyes or speak, after having a cervical cancer vaccine.
'She can whisper five words,' said Mr Hinks, who uses a microphone to help make out Lucy's barely audible syllables.

'She says "hurting, toilet, tablet, water" and, most of all, "mum".'

Mr and Mrs Hinks spoon feed their daughter her lunch and dinner. Meals must consist of soft food, because chewing takes precious energy.

The couple said doctors are now 95 per cent sure Lucy's diagnosis of ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is correct.

159 comments already here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-day-severe-reaction-cervical-cancer-jab.html

Enid

Thanks for posting kate - stunned to see at last ME (and it's nastiness) in the tabloids. Hope more will recognise and of course hope Lucy is getting the best aid and treatment possible. Wake up the UK medical establishment !

maryb

iherb code TAK122
How sad for this young girl, like so many others, no treatment being offered and she is wasting her young years being sick whilst the doctors do nothing.

SOC

This is our concern with giving our daughter the HPV vaccine, since she had so much trouble with the other live virus vaccine she's had since she got ME -- the chicken pox booster. She was largely in remission before the chicken pox booster and crashed badly after it. She didn't get back into remission for 2.5 years and needed 18 months of Valcyte to do it. I REALLY don't want to do that to her again.

We know she needs the vaccine eventually and our time is probably running out since she is now 19yo. She's finally in remission and we'd hate to kick her out of remission with a live virus vaccine..... Right now we're looking at this summer so if she has a bad rxn, we'll have several months to try to pull her out of it before her last year of college. **sigh** There are SO many complications with this danged disease!

Has anyone else here had to deal with the HPV vaccine?

mellster

Marco
SOC, why does she need the HPV vaccine? Its benefits are unproven, its risks well known, and cervical cancer can almost always be avoided by frequent check-ups and taking action soon enough.

SOC

SOC, why does she need the HPV vaccine? Its benefits are unproven, its risks well known, and cervical cancer can almost always be avoided by frequent check-ups and taking action soon enough.

You have a good point, mellster. I'm not sure cervical cancer can be avoided or sufficient action taken early enough even with proper monitoring. However, the risk to her health from the vaccine reaction, given she has ME, may be greater than the risk of contracting cervical cancer. **sigh**

My best hope, of course, is that she does not get exposed at all, which IS possible in this day and age, although probably getting pretty rare. Fortunately for her, it is starting to look like she may pull that off. :D Sometimes mothers' wishes do come true.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
This is our concern with giving our daughter the HPV vaccine, since she had so much trouble with the other live virus vaccine she's had since she got ME -- the chicken pox booster. She was largely in remission before the chicken pox booster and crashed badly after it. She didn't get back into remission for 2.5 years and needed 18 months of Valcyte to do it. I REALLY don't want to do that to her again.

We know she needs the vaccine eventually and our time is probably running out since she is now 19yo. She's finally in remission and we'd hate to kick her out of remission with a live virus vaccine..... Right now we're looking at this summer so if she has a bad rxn, we'll have several months to try to pull her out of it before her last year of college. **sigh** There are SO many complications with this danged disease!

A friend of mine in her twenties with ME got the vaccine and it did put her into a big crash. How about giving her a "subscription" to pap smears instead?

Sushi

mellster

Marco
Some researchers believe that eliminating/restricting certain strains of HPV - or never contracting them at all - could lead to overexpansion of other strains as they seem to compete with each other and they don't know yet how many and which ones are involved in contributing to diseases, if at all. I am a skeptic, esp. since big pharma never bothered to develop a test for men and now pushes to just vaccinate boys as well. My son will never get that vaccine (unless compelling research would come up) although I am not anti vaccines in general, I just know for him HPV and Hep A/B are two big no-nos ;)

You have a good point, mellster. I'm not sure cervical cancer can be avoided or sufficient action taken early enough even with proper monitoring. However, the risk to her health from the vaccine reaction, given she has ME, may be greater than the risk of contracting cervical cancer. **sigh**

My best hope, of course, is that she does not get exposed at all, which IS possible in this day and age, although probably getting pretty rare. Fortunately for her, it is starting to look like she may pull that off. :D Sometimes mothers' wishes do come true.

SOC

A friend of mine in her twenties with ME got the vaccine and it did put her into a big crash. How about giving her a "subscription" to pap smears instead?

Sushi

:eek: That's what I'm afraid of.

Absolutely I will be encouraging her to get regular pap smears. I don't think that will be a problem.

Clearly I need to go back and redo all the research I did years ago when the vaccine was new. My ME brain has not retained the relevant info about cervical cancer.

allyann

I don't know where to sit on this one. I have recently been diagnose with a Cin II - Cin III Precancerous Cervical cell changes. This can lead to Cancer. From the stage that I am at it would normally take five years to turn cancerous, but being pregnant and having ME/CFS speeds things up. I have to go for a biopsy after the baby is born and they will see where it goes from there.

I have always had regular PAP smears (every two years). My last test did not show any abnormal cells. PAP smears are usually the best way of detection as in most cases it takes 10 years to become cancerous from first detection.

All vaccines for me are about waying up the risks. For instance I will be giving my baby the Whooping Cough vaccine as it is rife here in Australia. I had it two years ago, and I couldn't face the chance of my child getting it. Hepatitis B however is now given routinely at birth in Australia. I do not see this as a need to have as the chances of a child being infected with Hepatitis B is relatively small.

Allie

Desdinova

Which Doctors say that she has CFS? Because depending on who they were affects whether her diagnosis is viewed by many as Psychological or Physiological in origin. I've always wondered if the flu shot I had at work that one year is what caused my illness. My nephew wonders if his MS and two prior neurological diagnoses were cause by his flu vaccine he got it three or four days prior to getting his primary symptoms.

Hopefully if the doctors/ hospital feel that its an allergic reaction to the vaccine it will kill any ideas of a psychological connection that anyone may be thinking.

taniaaust1

ive told both my children to avoid it! The risk of getting cancer from HPV may be less then getting ME if one is susceptable to ME already.. who knows. Due to the high amount of ME/CFS in my family it probably just arent worth that risk. Vaccines I'll leave up to my children to get themselves if they still really want them.

(one of my children has EDS and Aspergers so who knows.. probably just the right genes for ME).

Condoms will help protect them some from HPV (unless of cause their partner is a carrier.. but only one in four gets get HPV of the genital areas anyway so the risk would be even less if one always wore condoms unless married to someone.. and then of cause even less of those go on and get cancer from it).

One of my children already carries one of the HPV types due to catching it from me when she was born (she had to have surgery 17 times due to the affects of catching it from me).

SOC

Which Doctors say that she has CFS? Because depending on who they were affects whether her diagnosis is viewed by many as Psychological or Physiological in origin. I've always wondered if the flu shot I had at work that one year is what caused my illness. My nephew wonders if this MS and two prior neurological diagnosis were cause by his flu vaccine he got it three or four days prior to getting his primary symptoms.

Hopefully if the doctors/ hospital feel that its an allergic reaction to the vaccine it will kill any ideas of a psychological connection that anyone may be thinking.

She has been diagnosed by two excellent doctors -- Dr Lapp before she had the chicken pox booster and Dr Lerner some time after. There is really no doubt she has ME. The GP who gave her the booster doesn't believe it caused the reaction -- "There's no evidence... blah, blah, blah"

I don't believe the booster "gave" her ME. She had ME before the booster. I believe the live virus vaccine was too much of a challenge to her impaired immune system and HHV-6 and EBV reactivated (they're the same class of virus as chicken pox), and caused most of her symptoms.

I can see something similar happening with another live virus vaccine and I really don't want to go there again.

taniaaust1

I don't know where to sit on this one. I have recently been diagnose with a Cin II - Cin III Precancerous Cervical cell changes. This can lead to Cancer. From the stage that I am at it would normally take five years to turn cancerous, but being pregnant and having ME/CFS speeds things up. I have to go for a biopsy after the baby is born and they will see where it goes from there.

Allie

Allie.. sorry to hear you are going throu the stress of that. I had a very bad case of HPV when I was pregnant with my daughter and they wanted me to abort her so they could treat it as they feared it would get worst and go to cancer (it was already quite bad). I was about 12 weeks pregnant at the time.

I went throu with the pregnancy as I didnt believe in abortion but she then caught the HPV from me during birth which gave her Laryngeal papillomatosis which was very very hard to get rid of (so between ages of 4-8 so had heaps of surgery (approx 17 times) to try to get rid of this issue in her airways and on her vocal cords which just kept on growing back.

Ask your doctor is there is a way to lower your risk of baby catching it from you during birth. Babies are supposed to get natural antibodies from us throu our own system to help protect them from it (only one baby in 50,000 ends up with it like my daughter did).. but obviously that didnt happen well at all in my case with my daughter catching it bad and I didnt even have ME at the time).

My own HPV and the precancer changes all came good after I gave birth.

taniaaust1

:eek: That's what I'm afraid of.

Absolutely I will be encouraging her to get regular pap smears. I don't think that will be a problem.

Clearly I need to go back and redo all the research I did years ago when the vaccine was new. My ME brain has not retained the relevant info about cervical cancer.

Soc ..this article on this school girl getting ME from the HPV vaccine isnt a new at all thing. When the vaccine first came out (wasnt it firstly made in Australia?) there was quite a few girls who got what the medical profession said was "narcolepsy" from it and it was being called to be withdrawn due to that... but then they ended up going ahead with the mass vaccination of school girls.

Interesting that they said originally it was causing narcolespy in a few girls but now saying ME/CFS. (I bet it was ME/CFS it was causing in the first place but of course they wouldnt want to say a vaccine could cause that).