• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

which medications suppress the immune system?

anniekim

In the light of recent research that suggests M.E/CFS could be an auto immune disorder and our symptoms may be due to an over active immune system, is anyone able to share which medications would suppress the immune response? Would LDN be considered as something that does this? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Tristen

In the light of recent research that suggests M.E/CFS could be an auto immune disorder and our symptoms may be due to an over active immune system, is anyone able to share which medications would suppress the immune response? Would LDN be considered as something that does this? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

This is a very good question. For myself, I think the magic bullet for symptoms will be a selective immune suppressant. I say selective because I'm not about to play with fire with anything causing immune suppression that will encourage pathogen activation. But I do get the most relief from anti-inflammatories.

Can't take LDN, I'm one of those people who get really sick on it, regardless of dose and schedule. Some it works great for. There may be some Immune modulator that will help, but I'm yet to find what it is. I hope you get some really constructive feedback on this topic. For me, I'm currently trying to get relief with natural anti-inflammatories like Curcumin, etc. Can't take NSAIDS either.

mellster

Marco
AFAIK, LDN does modulate/stimulate/enhance the immune system, so quite the opposite. But it has anti-inflammatory effects and it temporary increases pain by blocking opioid receptors which then causes the body to produce more endorphins (and immune cells) and therefore lessens pain over the long haul. I think unless you have a proven hyperactive and overly functional immune system, the safer way is to go with natural anti-inflammatories rather than suppress your immune system. cheers

xrunner

In the light of recent research that suggests M.E/CFS could be an auto immune disorder
What research that is I don't know but that's a dangerous assumption, in my opinion.
If it were true, steroids would be the treatment of choice given they help manage autoimmune disorders.
And what does overactive mean? There are under diagnosed chronic infections such as for e.g. chronic lyme (I've read estimates of about a third of ME cases that may be undiagnosed Lyme cases) that over activate certain parts of the immune system. Mycoplasmas also can induce autoimmune responses.
If you had a chronic infection the last thing you wanted would be to bluntly suppress the immune system.
LDN is an immune modulator and that's as far as I know. I don't understand how it actually works in practice. It seems to help some with chronic infections (e.g. Lyme) but not everybody.

Ocean

What research that is I don't know but that's a dangerous assumption, in my opinion.
If it were true, steroids would be the treatment of choice given they help manage autoimmune disorders.
And what does overactive mean? There are under diagnosed chronic infections such as for e.g. chronic lyme (I've read estimates of about a third of ME cases that may be undiagnosed Lyme cases) that over activate certain parts of the immune system. Mycoplasmas also can induce autoimmune responses.
If you had a chronic infection the last thing you wanted would be to bluntly suppress the immune system.
LDN is an immune modulator and that's as far as I know. I don't understand how it actually works in practice. It seems to help some with chronic infections (e.g. Lyme) but not everybody.

This is totally anecdotal, but I improved a lot with steroids actually. Of course that's not something you can stay on for too long without risking other serious problems, but they were the only thing that helped when I was in a fairly bad relapse some time back. When I went off them I managed to stay improved for quite some time also.

Tristen

This is totally anecdotal, but I improved a lot with steroids actually. Of course that's not something you can stay on for too long without risking other serious problems, but they were the only thing that helped when I was in a fairly bad relapse some time back. When I went off them I managed to stay improved for quite some time also.

Prednisone is the best drug I've ever taken for this disease. I thought low dose 5mg/day was safe and wouldn't cause detrimental immune suppression allowing pathogen activation. Wrong! I got away with it for a while....until I didn't. I felt great for about 5-6 months on it, but then crashed into severe illness. I don't think the crash was from the increased exertion, I think it was viral activation. In fact, I'm sure of it. But I do believe my symptoms are more about excessive inflammation.

I do believe until the cause is found, some kind of selective anti-inflammatory is the ticket for me. True this is not just typical autoimmunity for which I can take the current Rx immune suppressants safely. They are very efficacious, but also very unsafe. Nor can I take immune stimulants for the infections. If the right immune modulator out there, I haven't found it yet. No LDN or mushroom extracts for me either.

It seems the best solution will be if it's a treatable pathogen driving the immune disruption.

kaffiend

The probiotic b. infantis (available in the commercial product Align) has been shown in animal studies to reduce IL-17 (a pro-inflammatory molecule seen in autoimmunity). I started taking it last week; the first thing I've noticed is that a very annoying itchy roof of mouth problem went away.

Tristen

The probiotic b. infantis (available in the commercial product Align) has been shown in animal studies to reduce IL-17 (a pro-inflammatory molecule seen in autoimmunity). I started taking it last week; the first thing I've noticed is that a very annoying itchy roof of mouth problem went away.

I've been looking at this again too since I still believe it starts in the gut. Couldn't take VSL3, which has lots of b infantis and other lactic acid bacteria, but then I'm sensitive to all probiotics. Leaky gut translocation is my theory. Anyhow, I've been looking at other's I may be able to take. I like Jarrow EPS, but it doesn't have the b infantis. I'll take a look at Align.