• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

sudafed/phenylephrine for OI/POTS anyone??

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Does the new version actually help with nasal congestion?

I take Sudafed, the kind you have to get at the pharmacy behind the counter in the U.S., because one of my CFS symptoms is severe nasal congestion, and I can't sleep or function when I can't breathe through my nose. I just panic. I also get very mucusy. But I noticed a side effect was that it did in fact help my POTS symptoms. I wonder if the new version would help with POTS or nasal congestion.

Recently I've had bladder issues, never feeling like I am able to void completely and constantly feeling like I have to go. When I stopped the Sudafed it greatly improved. Has anyone else experienced this?
its suppose to help with nasal congestion but i dont think its as good as the old version for that, but the new version with polaramine(antihistamine) i find good for nasal congestion with a saline nasal spray.

Ocean

its suppose to help with nasal congestion but i dont think its as good as the old version for that, but the new version with polaramine(antihistamine) i find good for nasal congestion with a saline nasal spray.

Thank you so much for that info. I don't do well on antihistamines so I will skip the new version, I didn't realize it had antihistamine. I wonder what I can use to reduce my nasal congestion if sudafed ends up being the cause of my bladder discomfort. I really liked that it helped with POTS too. Maybe if I use it less frequently it will still help with POTS but not aggravate my bladder.

ukxmrv

I like Sudafed for Psedoepidrine and take that when I have sinus problems. I can breath and stand a little better. The new version with the replacement for Psudoephidrine (phenylephrine) was a disaster. I developed shaking, irregular heart beat and faintness.

Being Pseudoephidrine is being used to illegally manufacture methamphetamine it can be a huge hassle to buy the original preparation in the UK. Boots for example (a large chemist chain) will only sell single packets at a time and in some shops the version with Pseudoephidrine is not available at all. This is a big problem if like me, you are often housebound.

When travelling some countries have restrictions on Sudafed with Pseduo.

Ocean

I like Sudafed for Psedoepidrine and take that when I have sinus problems. I can breath and stand a little better. The new version with the replacement for Psudoephidrine (phenylephrine) was a disaster. I developed shaking, irregular heart beat and faintness.

Being Pseudoephidrine is being used to manufacture methamphetamine it can be a huge hassle to buy the original preparation in the UK. Boots for example (a large chemist chain) will only sell single packets at a time. This is a big problem if like me, you are often housebound.

I have that problem too UKXMRV. In the US you are only allowed a certain amount each month and you must buy it in person with your ID during hours the pharmacist is at the store. I am housebound for the most part, other than a few medical appointments and essential errands my husband drives me to and I've not been able to buy sudafed because of that. Luckily my husband buys it with his ID but that allows for only enough for one person even though we both use it. The law is really unfair to those who are housebound. I thought to ask if I can have my husband pick up my allotment for me if I get a prescription from the doctor but haven't had a chance to look into that yet.

I wonder what I can use to reduce my nasal congestion if sudafed ends up being the cause of my bladder discomfort. I really liked that it helped with POTS too. Maybe if I use it less frequently it will still help with POTS but not aggravate my bladder.

One of the "normal" uses for N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is breaking up thick mucus into stuff that's easier to expel.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Thank you so much for that info. I don't do well on antihistamines so I will skip the new version, I didn't realize it had antihistamine. I wonder what I can use to reduce my nasal congestion if sudafed ends up being the cause of my bladder discomfort. I really liked that it helped with POTS too. Maybe if I use it less frequently it will still help with POTS but not aggravate my bladder.
Doesnt have an antihistamine in it, i add it to it to help dry my sinuses out when they trouble me.

Sing

I'm trying to learn what the best combination of pills is for my NMH. Yesterday I tried skipping the 3.7 mg Midodrine and just took 2 of the new Phenylephrine tabs, 20 mgs all together. This didn't beat the Midodrine. So today I am trying my regular Midodrine again, the 3.7 total dose, with one Phenylephrine at 10 mg. I feel pretty okay, though with the usual chills and itchy scalp from Midodrine.

I don't want to try the old Sudafed formulation because of the stimulation. My experience with stimulating medication, such as Provigil, was negative. I have low adrenal function, low hormones all around, but drugs which just rev part of my system don't succeed in activating the whole, and end up making me more tired.

Excuse me if airing my thought process isn't helpful, in terms of answers, but maybe it will help someone else with their own thought process.

Ocean

Doesnt have an antihistamine in it, i add it to it to help dry my sinuses out when they trouble me.
Thanks heapsreal. I looked up the new Sudafed and it seems it's considered a much less effective decongestant. Not sure if it's worth trying, at least I know it doesn't have antihistamine though, so maybe.

Forummember9922

In defense of beta agonists, a terrible proposition of course.

Stimulation of beta-2 adrenergic receptors can lead to a decrease in the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines such as interleukin-1 (IL-1), tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), and interleukin-6 (IL-6)

———

Some studies have reported elevated levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines, such as interleukin-1 (IL-1), interleukin-6 (IL-6), and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), suggesting an inflammatory component in some cases of CFS