• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mount Sinai ME/CFS Center

((((Ila Singh relocated to NY to join the center!)))))

The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, in collaboration with Dr. Derek Enlander, has launched the Mount Sinai ME/CFS Center.

Mt. Sinai, a premier medical facility located in New York City, has hired both Eric Schadt and Ila Singh to join the research team. Below are links to their bios:

http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/schadt-joins-mount-sinai-medical-school/

http://www.path.utah.edu/research/cbi/ila-singh-md-phd

The group has announced that they are now recruiting participants for their first research cohort investigating genes involved in ME/CFS to further the work completed by Jonathan Kerr. Potential candidates include twins (where one or both are ME/CFS patients). There is NO need to travel to NYC to participate. If you know of any possible candidates, please direct them Dr. Enlander at denlander@aol.com.

Please distribute widely.

ixchelkali

Wow, that's exciting news. It seems we're beginning to attract top-notch researchers into the field. I'm glad that they're also working with experienced ME/CFS clinicians, who recognize ME/CFS when they see it, in recruiting patient cohorts.

I'm also glad to hear that someone is going to continue Jonathan Kerr's work. So often in the field of ME/CFS we have seen small studies with potentially important results, and then they just fade away because no one does any follow-up research (usually because of lack of funding). Then 5 or 10 years later someone comes along and "discovers" the same thing, and then it languishes again, and so on, so that we don't make much forward progress. Maybe we are witnessing the winds of change beginning to blow.

justinreilly

A patient has made a $1M matching grant to the Mt. Sinai ME Center!

From European Society for ME on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ESME-European-Society-for-ME/326113349124

News from Dr Enlander:

The Mount Sinai Medical Center has opened an ME/CFS clinical and research center in New York. This has been funded by a patient of Dr Derek Enlander who donated a matching grant of $1,000,000. We encourage ESME members and patients to contribute to the fund. Contact Dr Enlander at denlander@aol.com

Of course we encourage this as ESME Team to contribute funding to this new ME center in New York.

leelaplay

Hi klmrv,

I can't find the Mount Sinai ME/CFS Center anywhere online or a link to the announcement about Singh/Schadt - very exciting news if it is so. Could you provide us with the link?

thanks

Enid

How good it is to see "the winds of change" gathering pace now. Great news.

shannah

Dr. Enlander just posted some encouraging news on his FB.

"Dr David Bell and I will attempt to replicate the Rituximab study. David is enthusiastic in doing this as he retired from active practice and will come to New York to work with us in the new ME/CFS center."

Nielk

Also from Dr. Enlander:

DR Ila Singh from Salt Lake City was recruited by Mount Sinai and will
work with the Mount Sinai ME/CFS Center, as will Eric Schadt a renown
geneticist and Dr Merron an immunologist

leelaplay

Also from Dr. Enlander:

DR Ila Singh from Salt Lake City was recruited by Mount Sinai and will
work with the Mount Sinai ME/CFS Center, as will Eric Schadt a renown
geneticist and Dr Merron an immunologist

Hi Nielk,

This sounds so exciting. Can you tell me where you got this information and hopefully give me a link to it?

thanks

Nielk

Mount Sinai ME/CFS Center

ME CFS Research Meeting for Patients and Doctors

New Methods of Diagnosis and Treatment Sunday 20 nov 11 am

including treatment summary of GcMaf, Maf314, Retuximab, CMX 001,
Ampligen, Nexavir, Immunoprop etc

Registration $30 in advance, $40 at door

contact Dr Enlander denlander@aol.com

Seminar Room,
first floor
Icahn Institute
Mount Sinai research Building
1425 Madison Avenue (at 98thStreet),
New York NY

That's terrific Nielk! I've been back and forth with Dr. E to get the details down...Thank you for posting!!!! I wish I could go :(

Sing

Any chance someone could record or take notes at this meeting? It would be great to find out what they know, hypothesize and where they want to head. Even scanty notes could be helpful. Some of us here can understand the details of what they are looking at, and help the rest of us to understand.

Nielk

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. I wonder if someone can videotape it?

Nielk

Speakers will include:

David Bell MD,
Derek Enlander MD,
Kenny deMeirleir MD,
Eric Schadt PhD

Sing

I wonder if Dr. Enlander and the group of doctors would accept someone videotaping this meeting and posting it online? Anyone know? I could ask--not that I could do it.