• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reasons for autumn relapse?

Calathea

I think massage can make things worse sometimes, yep. I've had very different responses to massage treatments over the years, sometimes because of my physical state, sometimes because of the type of massage. You'd think that the gentler types of massage would be less likely to knock you out, but not always. Would shorter treatments help, perhaps?

I'm too tired to reread the entire thread, but have we discussed central heating, closed windows and dry air as a possibility yet?

Jenny

I think massage can make things worse sometimes, yep. I've had very different responses to massage treatments over the years, sometimes because of my physical state, sometimes because of the type of massage. You'd think that the gentler types of massage would be less likely to knock you out, but not always. Would shorter treatments help, perhaps?

I'm too tired to reread the entire thread, but have we discussed central heating, closed windows and dry air as a possibility yet?

Thanks very much for these suggestions Calathea. The central heating could be a factor, but we don't usually have it on until late Oct and I've started to get worse by then! And yes, closed windows could be a problem. Not sure what one can do about that.

On the massage, yes, the Perrin lymphatic drainage massage is supposed to make you worse at first, and he thinks that's a good sign ('toxins' mobilised as drainage improves etc). Who knows. It is actually quite a short treatment, only 30 mins.

Thanks again.

Jenny

Calathea

I seem to recall that fertility is higher in the winter due to more darkness causing higher melatonin levels, but I doubt that would make much difference to someone with ME past the point where they are more or less housebound and thus not receiving much, if anything, in the way of natural light/dark cues. Anyway, melatonin levels could potentially be affecting something here. Although if that were the case for Jenny, the lightbox would probably help. By the way, Jenny, how long are you using the lightbox for every day? If it's the GoLite, the instructions hugely underestimate usage time, at least they did when I bought mine about 6 years ago. They were saying 15-20 min, but I find that 45 min is what's needed to have a definite effect (in my case, shifting my circadian clock from 25h to 24h).

Jenny

I seem to recall that fertility is higher in the winter due to more darkness causing higher melatonin levels, but I doubt that would make much difference to someone with ME past the point where they are more or less housebound and thus not receiving much, if anything, in the way of natural light/dark cues. Anyway, melatonin levels could potentially be affecting something here. Although if that were the case for Jenny, the lightbox would probably help. By the way, Jenny, how long are you using the lightbox for every day? If it's the GoLite, the instructions hugely underestimate usage time, at least they did when I bought mine about 6 years ago. They were saying 15-20 min, but I find that 45 min is what's needed to have a definite effect (in my case, shifting my circadian clock from 25h to 24h).

I use it for about an hour a day, but it's not a very powerful box. Think I might try 45 mins twice a day.

Jenny

Jenny

Which brand/model is it?[/QUOTE

Actually I was wrong when I said it was a LED box. It's fluorescent (but I've never had a any probs with fluorescent lights). Its a Lifemax Light Pod. 6,300 lux at 7.5 cm. Blue spectrum.

Jenny

Calathea

It's hard to tell as no one uses a light box at 7.5cm, but from those stats I'd expect a 2-3 hour usage time or more, and you may even need to leave it on for the greater part of the day (don't use it in the evening). If you can get it to above eye level that will help a bit, as the relevant receptors are mainly in the upper part of the eye. I am not aware of any pure blue fluorescent light boxes on the market, they're usually just cool white lights with a tiny bit more in the blue spectrum than a comparable warm white light would have. You need a much brighter light for it to be effective when it's a cool white light compared to the blue ones, but on the other hand a lot of people don't like coloured light and find white to be more pleasant to be around.

anne_likes_red

I had a quick Google, but could not find any hormone that is seasonal; but I expect there may be some.

Speculating again here...ho hum :rolleyes:...but I wouldn't be surprised if some of our gut bacteria colonies have cycles, which could be realated to seasons. Maybe influenced by endogenous chemicals which are seasonal. It's a stretch to try and pin one thing down...but I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised! :D