• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

transdermal minerals

Hi,

Because of my gut problems (yeast, streptococcus and klebsiella pneumonaie), Dr Myhill has recommended I take transdermal micronutrients. She thinks the stuff I take orally could be feeding the 'bad bugs' which makes sense. She recently started making a new preparation which has a mix of minerals (including copper and iron though), b12 (i'm guessing cyano) and vit d using DMSO to help it get through the skin. Here is her link:
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Transdermal_micronutrients

I'm wondering whether I should go for this or not - any thoughts please? Thank you.

SJB944

I've been using Dr Myhill's Magic Minerals for the last year or so. Couldn't tolerate it by taking it internally, so disolved in a little water and rubbed over my skin after shower.

Can't say that I've seen great improvement, but this way I can at least toletate it and avoid feeding nasty gut bacteria.

As I understand it the B12 is methylcobalamin. I haven't noticed any impact from taking B12 through the skin.

For mine, it is worth a shot. The rationale makes sense. Be interesting to see more research on nutrients via transdermal.

Cheers
SJB

I think it can work except I would not take any B12 that wasn't methyl B12 personally. However I apply liquid copper to my skin from skinbiology and it has made a huge and prompt difference to cross-linking of collagen. (In fact it corrected my copper deficiency). However I take bioidentical hormone replacement which helps the adrenals and the adrenals make metallothionein which is required to absorb copper and zinc. I am not sure what happens if you don't have enough metallothioneins and you apply copper and zinc. If you don't have adrenal problems I guess there would be no reason to wonder.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Harrycat, I have been taking these new minerals of Dr Myhills for around 8 weeks and apart from the awful smell (it doesnt last long though) and having to wait for it to dry (it can be a bit drippy and runny) its been fine. I also use her transdermal iron spray as ive been supplementing orally for about a year (very low ferritin for years) with hardly any difference in my levels. Dr Myhill therefore presumed i wasnt absorbing properly through the gut and so should try the full MMM as a transdermal spray. She says that peoples levels are correcting very well this way. I also inject with methyl B12 every day and she does advise to take extra vit B12 and magnesium.
Personally i would give it a go -its not a cure obviously but if you are seeing DR Myhill then you will be aware allreadyu of the deficiencies you have and i think this is a good way to replete some of these.
All the best, Justy.

sianrecovery

hi guys I am also being treated by Sarah, and I've been using the transdermal minerals and the transdermal magnesium for a few weeks, so far so good. The minerals initially brought me out in a rash, but it passed. I still use subcutaneous daily injections of B12, and do the magnesium injection every three or four days now - its a relief to get off the daily magnesium shots, they bloody sting.
Fingers crossed xxxx

anne_likes_red

Justy, transdermal iron sounds interesting! Make sure you update after your levels are tested again - I'd love to know how it goes.
:)

Hi Harrycat, I have been taking these new minerals of Dr Myhills for around 8 weeks and apart from the awful smell (it doesnt last long though) and having to wait for it to dry (it can be a bit drippy and runny) its been fine. I also use her transdermal iron spray as ive been supplementing orally for about a year (very low ferritin for years) with hardly any difference in my levels. Dr Myhill therefore presumed i wasnt absorbing properly through the gut and so should try the full MMM as a transdermal spray. She says that peoples levels are correcting very well this way. I also inject with methyl B12 every day and she does advise to take extra vit B12 and magnesium.
Personally i would give it a go -its not a cure obviously but if you are seeing DR Myhill then you will be aware allreadyu of the deficiencies you have and i think this is a good way to replete some of these.
All the best, Justy.

ukme

We use this and its a bit of a faff to apply because it drips everywhere. Not sure how much of a difference it makes but I can see the rationale behind transdermal application. You have to keep it in dark place btw to stop it breaking down.

justy

Yes it does drip doesnt it? even though it says it is a spray. I mop up the drips with the inside of one arm if i can, but hangign about naked waiting for it to dry is a pain.
Only a few moans -if it works it will be good, alo the oral minerals sometimes made me feel sick and i no longer have that problem.
Anne - i will let ypou know next time i get tested how well it has worked.
Justy.

Mij

@knackers323

I don't know if the transdermal minerals fully absorb, but if you scroll down half the page on this link they they did a study with transdermal magnesium chloride and it does show that magnesium chloride oil absorbs through the skin and increases intracelluar levels. They used Exatest which measures magnesium in the cells.

http://www.ancient-minerals.com/transdermal-magnesium/

I use the mag chloride gel and it feels to me just as effective as the magnesium and taurine injections I took for years. I wish I could fill my tub with all the supplements I currently take and have it absorb through my skin! My gut is so poor at absorbing.

ahmo

@knackers323, @Mij, I make my own mg oil from mg chloride flakes. I'm using not a spray or 2, but 50-75ml in footbaths. I self-test for more when I'm detoxxing, up to 300ml. I now also take my K+ powder and all my amino powders by footbath, as well as a few other things that I empty out of capsules into the water. It's working beautifully for me. I don't need larger doses than I would have by mouth, and my sensitivity to things like GABA and K+ would show if I wasn't absorbing this way. I also use an oil mixture on the soles of my feet AM/PM for breaking up biofilm and anti-microbial: oregano, lemongrass, clove oils. No longer test + for needing Biosil, which I'd been taking for biofilm. cheers, ahmo

NilaJones

Hi folks :)

My doc is interested in trying me on IV magnesium (yay) but she is VERY SLOW to get around to things, usually several months. Meanwhile, my bag of Ancient Minerals is about to run out, so I have a question for y'all.

Have you found any difference, in topical application, between forms of magnesium? Is magnesium chloride better than, say, citrate for skin spray?

justy

Did anyone find that the transdermal minerals worked?

Hi Knackers, well I gave up using them after about a year. I found that the iron only one made no difference to my iron levels at all and they remained low. Dr M seemed surprised by this, but hey its what happened. She also found that the selenium levels weren't coming up in patients so she made the dose per spray of selenium much higher - in fact I didn't agree with this as selenium is dangerous in high quantities and she was still recommending oral supplementation as well as the high dose in the transdermal spray. For this reason I stopped using it.

The only benefit I actually felt was when I stopped and the horrible smell no longer lingered on my clothes and towerls all the time (smells sport of garlicky and you can taste it after applying.

I recnelt started using it again as I have half a bottle left in a dark cupboard, but again I notice no difference. Of course that doesn't mean it isn't helping in some way.

I also don't ever use the oral ones anymore as after a couple fo years of oral mineral powder and high dose ascorbic acid I ended up with very severe gastritis. (now mainly resolved after a year and a half on PPI's)

all the best,
Justy.

NilaJones

@justy

Is oral iron working for you? I have only ever found one that works for me: Twinlab. Luckily it is also cheap :). The others I've tried had no effect on my IDA symptoms.

Have you tried calcium ascorbate, for a non-acid form of vitamin C? To be extra, extra easy on your tum you can buy the powder, or open the capsules, and mix the powder with water or juice or something. The reaction with liquid adds even more buffering.

I also found DGL far more effective than PPIs.

Wishing you luck!

justy

@justy

Is oral iron working for you? I have only ever found one that works for me: Twinlab. Luckily it is also cheap :). The others I've tried had no effect on my IDA symptoms.

Have you tried calcium ascorbate, for a non-acid form of vitamin C? To be extra, extra easy on your tum you can buy the powder, or open the capsules, and mix the powder with water or juice or something. The reaction with liquid adds even more buffering.

I also found DGL far more effective than PPIs.

Wishing you luck!
I have found that oral iron - either spatone (natural iron water) or ferrous fumurate on prescription slightly nudges my iron upwards, but only just. My Ferrittin started of at 5 and after a years supplementation only went up to 11 - never been able to get it higher than that.

Am using magnesium ascorbate vitamin c powder now and that seems fine on the stomach. I am now completely weaned of the PPI'S and stomach is holding up ok - wish I could say the same for the other bowel woes too!

NilaJones

I posted a reply @justy, but it seems to have vanished? Anyway, I am glad those things are working for you!

Has anyone tried salt substitute for transdermal potassium? Know any reason why I should not?

I have ordered some pure gluconate, but it will take a week or two to get here and this is what I have on hand.