• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

L-Carnitine Precursor

L'engle

moogle
Thanks Sally. Yes, I have heard from quite a few people that L-Carnitine is helping them. I did see some very overpriced L-carntines available, but not L-Carnitine Fumarate, which is the kind recommended in the B12 protocol.

l'engle and GBB

Hi Folks,

So I'm pretty sure I need L-carnitine. The problem is here in Canada you cannot buy L-carnitine, nor can you order it on-line from the States. It gets stopped at customs.

Has anyone tried the L-Carnitine precursor, 'GBB' (gamma-butyrobetaine )? It seems I can get this in Canada, and I trust the brand, AOR.

Here is the info:
http://astronutrition.com/aor-precar-l-carnitine-precursor-750-mg-60-vcaps.html

Thanks!

I started taking l-carnitine (fumerate) a few months ago and couldn't tell whether it made a difference. I switched to GBB last month mainly because it didn't require taking on a empty stomach. My energy levels have improved slightly, but I can't attribute this to anything specific; it could be the GBB and/or other supplements in the methylation protocol. That being said, living in Canada I have purchased l-carnitine from iherb and have never had any problems with importing it to Canada via DHL (one bottle at a time ). For purchase of AOR's GBB (as well as AOR's B-complex) I have found canadianvitaminshop.com to be the cheapest.

Mij

Hi Folks,

So I'm pretty sure I need L-carnitine. The problem is here in Canada you cannot buy L-carnitine, nor can you order it on-line from the States. It gets stopped at customs.

Has anyone tried the L-Carnitine precursor, 'GBB' (gamma-butyrobetaine )? It seems I can get this in Canada, and I trust the brand, AOR.

Here is the info:

Thanks!

I've been buying acetyl carnitine online from iherb for years. I live in Canada and never had a problem with customs etc. I take it with R+lipoic acid for maximum benefits.

L'engle

moogle
Thanks for your answers everyone. I had tried buying a supplement through amazon and it didn't get through customs. Since iherb explicitly lists carnitine and others as not being imported to Canada and that they wouldn't refund confiscated packages, I did not consider it worth the risk to try. Good to know you were able to get it though.

L'engle

moogle
Hi all,

I did get my L-Carnitine from the States after all. I also bought the precursor available here. I will compare them and let you know if I come up with anything useful.

Take care!

L'engle

moogle
Hi all,

So I've been taking l-carnitine fumarate for nearly 2 weeks. I notice some improvement in exercise recovery that is too consistent to be coincidental. I'm taking 1500-2000mg a day. A couple of days I've tried the precursor instead and it may have an effect but the much greater cost i think makes it less worthwhile.

I was getting a headache from the l-carnitine fumarate for the first week or so but that seems to be better now.

Do you need to take this supplement on an empty stomach? I would be concerned about it being a bit harsh so I've been taking it with food.

anne_likes_red

The advice I had was to take it early on an empty stomach. I'm using the fumarate too.
Same as you L'engle I noticed a definite improvement on starting it. For me it's improved stamina.
L-carnitine and ubiquinol together have made a big difference to the quality of my days!

I'm pleased you were able to buy some online and have it delivered without any problem. :)

Anne.

L'engle

moogle
How much l-carnitine fumarate do people take? Freddd, do you have any ideas about this? I've been taking 2500mg, but i think i do better at 4000mg. I don't want to waste it by more than I can use, though.

Thanks!

Freddd

Hi Folks,

Here is the info:

Thanks!

Hi L'engle,

A trip over the border would work. Also, if your doc will sign off on it you can get it imported. I investigated the problem. A person complained so years ago. He was on so many drugs, benzos and all that what he had going on is difficult to tell. However, two of the things that can happen with l-carnitine fumarate is startup symptoms as the mitochondria go from near zero to full blast in 24 hours if it is the most limiting factor. Three days after that potassium shortage can occur again causing all sorts of problems. Neither of these are bad things unless the peron complaining hasn't a clue. But if they are not recognized and complained about then that might be the cause of the ban.

Freddd

How much l-carnitine fumarate do people take? Freddd, do you have any ideas about this? I've been taking 2500mg, but i think i do better at 4000mg. I don't want to waste it by more than I can use, though.

Thanks!

Hi L'engle,

I found that my 90% effect level is at 500mg/day without food. The 1000mg just didn't make any definite difference. A few folks have said that a lot more makes a difference for them. For me at least, it was a most limiting factor after adb12 for the mithochondria to make ATP. Now it is possible that there is an additional affect or maybe a difficulty in getting where it needs to go. If there is a body vs CSF situation in this too then perhaps that is what you are seeing.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I use Carniclear, 1 tsp. 2.5 grams. Has B5 and that is good too. I take 120mg of CoQ10, all good for mitochondria. Designs for Health is the brand. That is what my doctors have me on. I am on many other supps. too.