• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HGRVs - Constructive general discussion - for exploring HGRV research

redo

thanks for the link Redo, absolutely facinating stuff. Where are the treatments based on this though for MS suffereres and scizophrenics? can an endogenous retrovirus even be treated?

I guess this could explain why its so hard to find THE virus that causes M.E.

The only treatments I know of for those are medicines masking the symptoms, or downregulating the immune dysfuction rather than going to the cause. I really do think (emphasis on think) that the cause for both of them are endogenous retroviruses.

redo.....if its an endogenous retrovirus, why would there have been cluster outbreaks of this disease?

Excellent question Daffodil. The cluster ourbreaks seen are explained with several factors. One being viruses and other triggers such as RustyJ mentioned, and the other cofactor being genetic predisposition working together. Vaccine, EBV, giardia, severe stress - all of those are examples which can bring about the latent endogenous RV. I have actually problems explaining how a exogenous retrovirus fits into the theory. Several questions comes to mind, one being how could a exogenous virus be triggered in such large numbers by immune suppressing events such as those mentioned (the only way would be if a exogenous RV lies latent in the body). The other question is how is it transmitted. And why are there so many more who's got it in Western countries than in Asia? The asians get it when they come to the west. My answer is that it's endogenous, and that the reason why we get it in the Western world and not in such a large extent in other places is that for the endogenous RV to get high prevalence, one needs triggers, but one also needs a change in the gut flora which shifts the immune system the wrong way, lending a hand to viruses wanting to establish themselves. Read more here:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?14251-Gut-Bacteria-Lend-a-Molecular-Hand-to-Viruses

redo

The HERV-W insanity virus article even goes on to give a very credible expenation as to why the monoclonal antibody Tysabri works on MS patients (which it does).

In one experiment, Perron isolated HERV-W virus from people with MS and injected it into mice. The mice became clumsy, then paralyzed, then died of brain hemorrhages. But if Perron depleted the mice of immune cells known as T cells, the animals survived their encounter with HERV-W. It was an extreme experiment, but to Perron it made an important point. Whether people develop MS or schizophrenia may depend on how their immune system responds to HERV-W, he says. In MS the immune system directly attacks and kills brain cells, causing paralysis.

alex3619

Hi, new information has come to light that might revive the controversy, although I have not checked the background of the details yet so cannot be sure of its full import. I cannot say more as it is not public yet, but I expect it to go public within a day. Stand by. Bye, Alex

shannah

Hi, new information has come to light that might revive the controversy, although I have not checked the background of the details yet so cannot be sure of its full import. I cannot say more as it is not public yet, but I expect it to go public within a day. Stand by. Bye, Alex

Is it from Dr. Cheney Alex?

Changing status of XMRV / HGRV research

December 5th, 2011, published in Public Relations

http://www.cheneyclinic.com/changing-status-of-xmrv-hgrv-research-2/843

Bob

Is it from Dr. Cheney Alex?

Changing status of XMRV / HGRV research

December 5th, 2011, published in Public Relations

Was the following info reported at the time of the Ottawa conference, or since the conference? (I don't remember reading it before):

The strongest supportive study to date was reported by Dr. David Strayer out of Hemispherex Inc, (Philadephia, PA) at IACFS/ME in Ottawa and showed that 7/8 CFS cases and 2/17 controls were positive for XMRV using Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) technology available at Roche Labs in Germany.

And I thought that Hemispherx had now given up on their XMRV research, and were focusing on their genetic studies? Why would this be the case if they were getting positive XMRV results?

Questions! Questions! Questions!

alex3619

Hi Shannah, yes, the same, its just gone public too on co-cure. Thanks for the link though. Bye, Alex

ps Yes Bob, so many questions. Is it the same virus? While mouse contamination can be ruled out apparently, XMRV itself is an easily spread contaminant - but its still very tantalizing.

Daffodil

redo..CFS is not more prevalent in western countries. japan has the highest incidence.

if its endogenous, why would clusters of people be similarly genetically predisposed?

dr. suhadolnik at temple university used to take a drop of CFS blood and drop it into some healthy blood...he would watch the disease spread to the healthy blood. i have spoken to him myself several times.

i was really hoping lipkin would come up with a new virus...now that roche thinks its xmrv, and i am on the drugs that supposedly inhibit the virus and i am still gravely ill, what will i do now? ughhh

VillageLife

its a family of xenotropic and polytopic retroviruses, no virus has one strain....this is only the start of the Human Gamma retrovirus story.

start planning what your going to do when there is treatment.

Lipkin will soon be starting his studys.

lots more to come.

Daffodil

villagelife...thank you for an upbeat, hopeful message:) the day to day is so hard..its like an eternity when you feel so bad

acer2000

dr. suhadolnik at temple university used to take a drop of CFS blood and drop it into some healthy blood...he would watch the disease spread to the healthy blood. i have spoken to him myself several times.

Yeah and its been reported that years and years ago they injected CFS patient blood from one of the outbreaks into monkeys and they got CFS. So clearly there is some transmissible agent here. They just need to find it. Of course right now it seems people are more interested in trashing each other in the media and suing each other than helping us sick people.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
And you have more reason than most to be SFSOI - we're all rooting for you, lets hope something positive comes out soon to give you and us all some hope.

alex3619

Euthanasia By Stealth

I have had a blog on the todo list for a long time. Its about euthanasia by stealth, which seems to be the policy for ME.

Take a whole lot of really sick people who they can't treat. Thats expensive, and its damning for the medical profession, and potentially damning for politicians. It means medical bills, social support, and demand for research dollars.

Instead take a policy of non-research, and no research funds. Deny medical support and testing. Deny insurance. Deny social benefits. People this sick are likely to die without any support, and dead people are not visible problems and don't demand resources.

So instead of facing the issue, getting the research done, they have opted for clandestine euthanasia, putting as many of us as possible into a position where we die or are too sick and unsupported to cause problems. Problem solved, cash saved, but the real issues are just swept under the rug. In time the dust pile under that rug will be so big everyone is going to trip on it. When they pull back the rug and see a century of dust under it, I think questions will be asked.

Bye
Alex

ps This is not to say there is a conspiracy to do this, its about the policy having this effect, whether intended or not.