• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Truth or Dare

Nielk

294005_268128059891967_153592064678901_778546_287572419_n.jpg

What is your opinion about this statement?

Valentijn

It doesn't say much about the one who falls and can't get back up, aside from the implication that they could if they tried harder.

Mary Poppins

75% Smurf
I think it carries with it some inbuilt assumptions. However, it is all about the interpretation.

What do you think of it, Nielk? What about the statement intrigued you enough to ask your PR community?

Esther12

That is always true.

Nothing can ever happen to anyone that leaves them weakened, so long as they're able to get up again.

edit - just popped back, and realised it was far from clear that I was joking with this post. (Probably because it wasn't funny).

Nielk

Someone posted this on my fb page. At first look, it seemed like a true statement to me and the comments on fb were agreeing how inspiring this was.
I put some more thought into it and I don't think that this always applies. I'm assuming here that the fall could be any setback whether physical or mental. Even if the person keeps getting up, the falls become part of that person psyche. It might make him stronger, it is also very possible that the "bruises" stay, lingering under the surface - eating away at the person. He might seem fine right now - even better because he grew from the lesson learned of falling and getting up yet, the scars remain and one day could surface and do real damage to him.
We are such complicated beings with so many layers. Just because we keep getting up and going doesn't mean that we are not damaged in a deep level.

Mary Poppins

75% Smurf
See, I believe it is the scars, not the weeping, gaping wounds which are left to fester that make us whole people. Once an emotional scar is is left to develop figurative scar tissue, one can then truly 'get up' and face one's fears again.

Enid

Deep philosophical meaning here I'm sure Nielk (currently escaping me). Just wish I felt stronger when I could stand up though. Is it all in my legs ?

Nielk

Deep philosophical meaning here I'm sure Nielk (currently escaping me). Just wish I felt stronger when I could stand up though. Is it all in my legs ?

Yes, hard for ME patients to stand to begin with. It might be weakness in the legs or pots or o.i., so maybe we are better off not getting up and just staying on the floor and resting?

Seriously, I was thinking more of instances where one keeps falling and keeps getting up. Does it really build up stamina and makes one stronger? Is there one time when they realize this is just too much, I can't keep doing this. I'm going to fall and fall. Something breaks and you just can't get up anymore. Does this make you now weak? How many times do you have to keep getting up?

Enid

Yes I was jut joking too Nielk - but from bedridden I do try to walk even if only around the home to keep muscles moving as much as poss. It's a kind of listening to the old bod and being aware, not pushing when rest is needed - kind of each day as it comes I've accepted.

Mary Poppins

75% Smurf
A young woman who gifted friendship to me at one time, and whose opinion I equally respected; told me that she believed that it took more courage to ask for help when one was down than what it did to ask for assistance when one's life was travelling relatively smoothly.

I tend to follow that as some sort of a metaphorical benchmark.

maddietod

I've been chewing on this since you posted it, Nielk. To me, the problem is that the question is limited, dualistic. I immediately go running outside the boundaries of the two choices, wondering about contingencies.

So............it depends.

Mary Poppins

75% Smurf
I have been thinking about this too, its interesting.reading people's interpretations.

Who is taking the saying at its literal sense?

Who thinks of perseverance, hope and determination when reading it?

Perhaps I'm just not getting it. Nothing new lol.

SOC

My problem with the statement is that it ridiculously oversimplifies people and life. It also sounds a bit self-serving to me -- it's unlikely to be said by someone who has been fortunate enough (or wise enough) not to have fallen. It's rather insulting. But then I do tend to be too literal minded for this kind of thing. :D

I suspect it's one of those statements that's meant to be taken more for its "feeling" than its literal truth. Maybe it's intended to be a pat on the back and an encouragement to those who "have fallen" (whatever that means). When people say things like this to me, I tend to nod and smile and try not to think about it too hard, since the speaker probably didn't think too hard about it, either. Never pays to overthink such remarks. ;)

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
after reading everyone elses response, im taking it as dont give up, or more then one way to skin a cat. If u cant stand up use crutchers or a wheel chair, but keeping working on those legs to try and do the job.

How does that sound, trying to be a 1/2 glass full type of person.

cheers!!!

Valentijn

Sandralee :

The quote is "The one who falls and gets up is so much stronger than the one who never fell."

jace

Off the fence
That quote is of the same ilk as "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Simplistic stuff. Bad things can happen, to knock our health and confidence that we 'get up' from, don't die from, but are nevertheless damaging. On the other hand, it is empowering to triumph over adversity.

Words, huh? Or something :cool:

Sandralee :

The quote is "The one who falls and gets up is so much stronger than the one who never fell."

Thanks Valentijn.

This is such a black and white statement, whereas in reality, life is shades of grey, with many complexities.

Implicit in the quote is the notion of the resilience to bounce back in the face of adversity, which is often viewed as pressing on regardless. Alternatively, bouncing back might be the ability to let go of old notions, and accepting a different way of being.