• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAF 314, looking for someone to share

Dufresne

almost there...
Apparently this is a quote from Dr Ruggiero:

Thus, we tested a raw preparation obtained in our laboratory, putatively containing GcMAF, on MM6 cell proliferation. This preparation was obtained treating colostrum with kefir grains. It is known that kefir modulates the immune response in mice, increasing the phagocytic activity (i.e. activating) of peritoneal and pulmonary macrophages (Immunobiology 2006; 211:149-56). It is conceivable that microorganisms of kefir grains could convert milk Gc protein into active GcMAF due to their enzymatic activities. We used colostrum instead of milk because colostrum is richer in Gc protein (J Nutr Biochem 1992; 3:498-502). Freshly collected colostrum was incubated for 24 h with kefir grains. The liquid supernatant was collected, filtered and incubated with MM6 cells for 72 h as in the experiments reported in Figs 1 and 2. Increasing concentration of kefir supernatant (expressed as total protein content, i.e. 4.8-480 ug/ml. Fig 3, columns 5-7) significantly inhibited MM6 proliferation in a manner similar to that observed with GcMAF.

I'm surprised more folks aren't talking about trying to make this themselves. Ruggiero and his co-authors claim they got the idea to use this fermentation process from the response HIV patients had to probiotic yogurt, a response that couldn't be replicated by supplementing the same probiotics. There's no mention of this yogurt being a laboratory product. So assuming they're correct, that this process produces GcMAF, they've come up with an incredible find. If it were mine I'd probably try to capitalize on it. And if it's as simple as it sounds in the above quote then I'd be inclined to convince people they couldn't do this on their own -314 tries in a laboratory, by highly trained scientists. Maybe I missed something and I'm out of line, but how much does it cost to obtain colostrum and kefir grains? Answer: about $20 for the colostrum (iherb) and $5 for the kefir grains (local hippie). It's worth a try.

Also, I figure we can use goat's colostrum or even sheep's if we're sensitive to dairy.

anne_likes_red

Linder, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable for you to ask if you could try a sample of the finished product to check for tolerance before you decide whether to proceed.
A full day plus of incubation sounds good to me with regards to casein. But, in my experience (which is limited, and non scientific!) the incubation needs to be 100 - 110 degrees F, and I think this is warmer than required for regular kefir?
:) Anne.

Mellster, Drewmaster, Anne & all, I have managed to cancel the class this month without penalty. Others are also waiting for the kinks to be worked out, so I don't feel too flakey. Yes, the culture needs to be done weekly, one full day of brewing and watching and then another partial day the following day. After hearing from several other Cheney patients, I think I can do it. But I'm still looking for someone who has used it and is intolerant of casein (the protein in milk). I did learn that the kefir-making process eats up the lactose. Since I'm not lactose-intolerant, that doesn't help much. I'm just hoping it somehow transforms the casein so I don't react to it. Does anyone know of someone on the autism spectrum who is using MAF 314 or perhaps another kefir? To those willing to share the product and costs, thank you. It's good to know you're willing and you will be the first to know if the casein question gets resolved and I end up taking the class. Linder 220

Papillon, Someone who took the class described it today as not difficult, but extremely exacting. If you do try to make it yourself, I hope you succeed. I think they are measuring success by nagalase levels, so it wouldn't be hard to find out if you've hit the right process. Best of luck. Linder220

lobba123

just make sure to use fresh colostrum otherwise all activity and gcmaf get lost, same thing about kefir

Apparently this is a quote from Dr Ruggiero:

I'm surprised more folks aren't talking about trying to make this themselves. Ruggiero and his co-authors claim they got the idea to use this fermentation process from the response HIV patients had to probiotic yogurt, a response that couldn't be replicated by supplementing the same probiotics. There's no mention of this yogurt being a laboratory product. So assuming they're correct, that this process produces GcMAF, they've come up with an incredible find. If it were mine I'd probably try to capitalize on it. And if it's as simple as it sounds in the above quote then I'd be inclined to convince people they couldn't do this on their own -314 tries in a laboratory, by highly trained scientists. Maybe I missed something and I'm out of line, but how much does it cost to obtain colostrum and kefir grains? Answer: about $20 for the colostrum (iherb) and $5 for the kefir grains (local hippie). It's worth a try.

Also, I figure we can use goat's colostrum or even sheep's if we're sensitive to dairy.

Tristen

Thanks to everyone who replied. Yes, it is thru the Cheney Clinic. I am however getting cold feet about doing it right now as many people who've taken the class are having major challenges making the MAF at home. I'm waiting to talk to someone at the clinic about my concerns and will get back to this group when I decide. I heard there's a doctor in Santa Rosa who's planning on taking the class (his staff doesn't know when) and I might wait and try to get it from him. I also need to get some reassurance that the casein in the milk is going to "go away" before I consume it. Otherwise, I may just go with the GcMAF from Holland. Sorry to get anyone stirred up. I will get back to the group within a few days. Linder220

Gordon Medical Associates?

Rita

Im trying to do a "similar" of MAF 314, with kefir grains , fresh milk and colostrum power.24 hours incubation. But I know there is some information I miss, perhaps temperature.. I dont know if heat is good for the kefir grains or it kills them.
Im making it for a month and a half and I see is good for my gut.Not for my fatigue or pain ,by the moment.
The kefir grains are growing,dont know if more quantity of grains is best for the result.
Ruggiero said that kefir (plain kefir as usual) is good for the immune sistem,too.
Dr Ruggiero now is silent, dont answer questions about MAF 314, I think he is planning to do some trials with HIV patients in Italy.
One day this information to make MAF 314 will be known for everybody, it cant be patented or forbiden to do at home.
Can be patented only for to make it industrially, I think.
For now is secret the starter ( if its not kefir grains), and the exact procedure.

But the more importat is to know if this works for us, CFS/ME patients, for all o for a big part of us.
I must said that I have problems with milk , redness in my face, but not with this kefir.

To everyone who wrote saying they would like to team up with a Cheney MAF 314 patient in their area: I did put your general locations out to the group. The moderator added a pretty long message of her own to my message, saying that at this time the Clinic isn't approving sharing because of the monitoring that needs to be done and some other considerations. So, no one responded to my message. I don't know if that's because of the Clinic's statement or perhaps just not that many have taken the class yet and are available to share. If anyone does respond, I'll let you know. Linder220

shannah

Dr. Enlander just posted on his FB page.

"We are researching a new version of the non prescription probiotic MAF akin to the Ruggerio version at a lower price."

Rita

Message from Dr Ruggiero in a HIV forum

Marco Ruggiero said
2011/11/05 at 10:27 am

Another reason is that I intended to present the results of the ongoing trials at RA2011. In addition, if generally available means for people in the entire world, then there is to wait for a few more weeks or months. If it means, however, for people in Europe, then it is already available.

Hi,

Does anybody have a link to Dr. Cheneys MAF 314 trial results actually? How did M.E. patients respond to it compared to GcMaf??

Thanks