• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A question about THE apology

snowathlete

Norway is a rich country with ample money from offshore oil.

They are financially independent of the US and are not a member of the European Union.

They did not get involved in the recent orgy of uncontrolled financial speculation which destroyed so much of the banking system and are therefore financially solvent.

They are one of the very few social democracies left in Europe so they see government as being responsible to the citizen, and for the welfare of the citizen.

They have no reason therefore to deny the obvious to protect multinational financial interests against the wellbeing of their own citizens.

The psychiatric lobby only exists because it is being promoted by financial vested interests.

It is unlikely that ME will be accepted as a valid illness until there is a cheap cure or treatment which can be used on the population, and an indemnity in place to ensure that the insurance firms do not have to compensate the million sick in the US for past denial of cover.

It has always been obvious that ME is a physical disorder.
The everincreasing burden of proof placed upon those researchers and doctors who try to help patients exits only to delay or prevent those sick citizens form being a cost to the state or multinational insurance companies.

This is exatly right! Norway is a very unique. Also they have a small population, and being rich this equates to more money per head available to spend. So Norway typically does not feel the need to short change their citizens.

The thing is, i understand that other governments arent in as easy a position financially, but services should always protect the vulnerable and sick, by principle. The problem in the UK is that the gov't, nor people like Weasley, have any!

BY THE WAY - if you are british, then go sign the gov't petition about getting an appology from the british gov't too. See the advocacy forum for details!

Gamboa

Sorry to waste a new thread title but ...............

Is a trial involving ONLY 30 patients enough evidence for Norway to issue an apology? Is that all it takes in Norway? 30 people?

Doesn't it take replication studies? Why has the Norway government caved in after such a small study? I often see reference to 5000 studies concerning the bilogical nature of this illness - what has changed so significantly? So we have 5001 now - is there something I am missing?

Probably a very simple answer - but I don't know what it is.

Is it possible that this last study was the final straw and that they were leaning towards a change anyway? This study finally tipped the balance. 5000 studies was great but 5001 could no longer be ignored!!

Whatever the reason I'm really pleased that it happened. I hope this good will spreads to other countries. So far I've seen no mention of this study here in Canada.

ukxmrv

Maybe it was the TV publicity that shamed the Norwegian government into making the apology?

So many interviews! I've seen English subtitles for some but not all. The TV showed real patients - people locked away in darkness, people labelled as mentally ill because they believed it was a physical illness.

They told it as it is!

In the UK we never get on TV. If we appear in the press it's because of a "miracle quack" cures that someone wants to sell. No real ME patients ever get to tell it as it is on TV. "Safe" patients tend to be interviewed, hardly ever anyone severely ill, we are heavily edited, few of our letters are published and more coverage is given to any psychiatric aspects of the illness.

Our issues are ignored by the press and TV. Our demonstrations and petitions are ignored.

The coverage for this research has been a revelation.

max

Maybe it was the TV publicity that shamed the Norwegian government into making the apology?

So many interviews! I've seen English subtitles for some but not all. The TV showed real patients - people locked away in darkness, people labelled as mentally ill because they believed it was a physical illness.

They told as it is!

In the UK we never get on TV. If we appear in the press it's because of a "miracle quack" cures that someone wants to sell. No real ME patients ever get to tell it as it is on TV. "Safe" patients tend to be interviewed, hardly ever anyone severely ill, we are heavily edited, few of our letters are published and more coverage is given to any psychiatric aspects of the illness.

Our issues are ignored by the press and TV. Our demonstrations and petitions are ignored.

The coverage for this research has been a revelation.

Hi ukxmrv - (ukautoimmunne) (translated from Norwegian)

Your point concerning the shameful press that has entertained us for the last few decades is more than valid - but do they not realise we have seen the reports from afar - over the horizon - across the great sea to the east.

max

I think xmas may be cancelled this year if Euroland does not come up with at least 1Trillion tomorrow for the banksters - Funding may be an issue if they can't find another magicians hat pronto. If the PIGS are left to founder, don't expect Norway to be in a position to do anything for a while. Could be a wild ride on the markets tomorrow. Hope Wessely has lots of his ill gotten gains in equities!

Amazing how all these governments can accumulate stupid amounts of money from thin air again and again and again to maintain their illusion and hide their lies - yet for 20 years they could not raise :eek::eek::eek::eek:'all for scientific research that would help people. :Retro mad:

FancyMyBlood

Another thing that could be 'responsible' for this apology is that the Norwegian government is aware of data that is not yet published.

I came to this idea after I read the whole rituximab study today and the authors state 'Work is in progress in our laboratory to elucidate the localization and nature of a putative target for an autoimmune process.'.

Andrew

The two cancer doctors in Norway are making slow progress because they are borrowing resources that are intended be used for cancer patients. I think it's a miracle the doctors are allowed to do this. I can't imagine my local cancer center funding something like this, and providing staff. Maybe the government of Norway can show it's remorse by funding an ongoing multi-disciplinary project at this hospital to research and treat CFS.