• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Invest in ME London conference 2012

Enid

Thanks for advising Kate. So much moving ahead now - should be great.

Kate_UK

some speakers announced!

http://www.investinme.org/IiME Conference 2012/IIMEC7 Agenda.htm

Dr Donald Staines
Associate Professor, Bond University, Public Health Physician, Australia

Professor Olav Mella
University of Bergen, Institute of Medicine, Section for Oncology

Dr ystein Fluge
University of Bergen, Institute of Medicine, Section for Oncology

Dr Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik
Associate Professor, Biochemistry, Bond University, Australia

Professor Hugh Perry
Professor of Experimental Neuropathology, University of Southampton

Dr Mario Delgado
Head of Department of Immunology and Cell Biology, Institute of Parasitology and Biomedicine, Spain

Dr Daniel Peterson
Simmaron Research, USA

Dr Ian Gibson
Former Dean of Biological Sciences, University of East Anglia

Additional speakers will be announced

Enid

Just seen Kate - as always it's their usual knowledgeable choice of speakers as research progresses. I know from the past the apparent lack of interest from the medical "establishment" here and with some MRC research now hope someone has the grace to turn up this time.

currer

Im going - hope to meet up with some others too!

I had a nice chat with Dr Baraniuk last year. It was a great day - I would encourage everyone who can, to go and support Invest in ME.

Kate_UK

Another speaker announced - Professor Maria Fitzgerald

I found this, assuming it is the right person "Prof Maria Fitzgerald's research interests include: Development of inhibitory processes in spinal cord pain pathways"

also http://investinme.org/IIME Statement 2012-04-30.htm

The Alison Hunter Memorial Foundation (Australia) and Invest in ME (UK) are working closely together to develop an extensive international collaboration of distinguished scientists and clinicians for biomedical research into ME.

Details of this important initiative will be announced later in May.

More information concerning this work will be also discussed at the 7th Invest in ME International ME/CFS Conference in London.

Enid

Yes, just recieved the latest newsletter thanks Kate - the whole emphasis on international collaboration (researches, findings and disciplines) couldn't be better now.

jace

Off the fence
Me too! I was going, but I decided that it was not wise to jeopardise my slow improvement. I let IinME know, and they said they'd send me a video - for free I think - I don't expect my money back. I am a bit gutted, but, so it goes.

One of the problems for most of us, I imagine, is you have to book way ahead, not knowing how you'll be when the time comes...

I am very grateful to anyone who attends the IIME conferences and reports from the events there. I went to one, in 2007. There were 2 days that year, I attended both days for the afternoon (after 11am). The talks were very interesting, informative and inspiring. Unfortunately, due to the lights and noise (in the breaks) I only got through the two days by regularly going outside for 20 minute breaks, to sit (actually lie down) in the park opposite the conference building, wearing earplugs and shades. Also, being so wiped out, it wasn't possible to engage in discussions with ME people at the conference, as I would have liked to have done.
The effort of getting to London and sitting through even half of the talks knocked me back for months that I had to spend mostly in bed. I am glad that I went to the conference though - it is interesting to hear the researchers describing their work, to their peers, and to a lay audience.

FancyMyBlood

Their website states there is a press conference today. Anyone knows more specifics and is it normal to have a press conference prior to the conference?

Enid

Trying to keep up with everything Iime myself too Fancymyblood all they do/have done the very best for ME in the UK. Lovely people too - know the real thing and fight the ignorance around us - the pseudo medics of the psychos. What comes out of this international conference will aid us all. Looking forward.

currer

I have paid for a ticket but I am too unwell to go. But my husband will go for me and report back to me.

Mark

Oh no! Bad news that you can't make it Currer, I'm really sorry to hear that; I know you were looking forward to it. I'm still going, so I'll report back (within the confines of any reporting restrictions, which I'll have to be careful to clarify). If there are any other members attending, let me know by conversation in the next few hours and maybe we can meet up there.