• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FLASH: CDC/NIH using Wichita, Georgia samples

hvs

Per CDC representative at CFSAC meeting a couple minutes ago:
The CDC is relying on an NIH retrovirology lab to replicate Mikovits study. He just stated that they will be using Wichita and Georgia so-called CFS patients to replicate the study. Some fraction of Whittemore-Peterson patients will be used.

For those who aren't aware, the CDC's/Reeves' definition of CFS patients, as identified in those areas, enveloped individuals suffering from depression and significant obesity.

In sum, the NIH can't possibly replicate the Mikovits study by studying those non-CFS patients.

hvs

Ms. Whittemore indicated that she did NOT know that the NIH was using their samples. She then indicated her concern that the NIH lab was using the right techniques.

Summer

Per CDC representative at CFSAC meeting a couple minutes ago:
The CDC is relying on an NIH retrovirology lab to replicate Mikovits study. He just stated that they will be using Wichita and Georgia so-called CFS patients to replicate the study. Some fraction of Whittemore-Peterson patients will be used.

For those who aren't aware, the CDC's/Reeves' definition of CFS patients, as identified in those areas, enveloped individuals suffering from depression and significant obesity.

In sum, the NIH can't possibly replicate the Mikovits study by studying those non-CFS patients.

It's true I am getting the feed. That's why Reeves could say they would not replicate it. :rolleyes:

hvs

I am almost in tears that they did not want to let Whittemore speak.

The federal agent did not want her to speak on the grounds that she was somehow not on the agenda (strange, since presumably Peterson was there as a rep. of the WPI); the chairman of the CFSAC said "screw the rules" and had her come up.

What Annette Whittemore said was so moving. It was a beautiful statement, and very powerful at the end when she honored those who have died, including by suicide, before they could be helped by this important work.

Bravo to the chair who used his authority to make sure she got a chance to speak, overruling Wanda the agenda-keeper.

Looked like Peterson got a standing o after his presentation. This really is a new day!

Speaking now is Dr. Coffin from Tufts Univ. He's been doing retrovirus research for 40 years, jeez!

The best thing for me so far is how so many people, including Nancy Klimas, really called the CDC guy (Mike Miller, I think his name is) on Reeves' comments. Mike said he couldn't comment on Reeves' comments. But it was heartening to see so many people speak to the CDC's biases, past failures, and flawed priorities for future research.

KC22

Keep it coming..

if you can. I missed this morning. I will try again for the afternoon.

Did I miss how many people showed?? Did we fill the chairs??

Great info coming this way....Thanks..:)

link to CFSAC page

Neilk, we are watching this live. Go to this page of the CFSAC site, and on the right, click on the link to watch. You will have to download realplayer. Let me know if that doesn't take you to it, I will find you another link.

http://www.hhs.gov/advcomcfs/index.html

oh good, I see others beat me to it, and gave you a better, more direct link!

I think this whole meeting's video may be archived and watchable later, not sure about that, but I seem to recall seeing that possibility.

R

Robin

Coffin says that XMRV is more like Feline Leukemia than HIV in that it doesn't mutate quickly and that makes it promising for a vaccine but not for anti-viral treatment. :(

He says 99% who have HIV eventually will get AIDS with no treatment, but, how many people who have XMRV have CFS? He says this is just one study, a good study, but there a volumes of information in which so much is not known.

hvs

If you want to see what we're up against, watch the CDC guy. He referred to testing people for "unwellness." Among their exciting studies in response to these findings will be to look for unwellness in teens who live in group homes, or some such.